Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
281 - 291 of 291 Posts

· 252,000+ Miles
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Re: The Insanity Project - New Pics

Thing of beauty man. I'm taking the truck in tomorrow to get the rear brake lines replaced - both bleeders on the rears are seized tight and I need them to open!

I'd do it if I had time but....

· 252,000+ Miles
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 · (Edited)

Things to do before NESM

Paint Drums with G2
Remote Breather Mod
Repair bellhousing breather fitting/fluid change
Clean and paint rear diff cover and KRfabs skid
Fresh coat monstaliner
Mass backed carpet installed
Extended cab storage boxes installed
Bilsteins ???

· 252,000+ Miles
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 · (Edited)

OK so latest updates.

#1 - getting a rebuild on the transmission. 275,000 miles and my OD is slipping and transmission temps are creeping up and matching engine temps, even with the external cooler. Typically I was running about 40-50 degrees below engine temp, now it's less than 20. The hotter it gets, the more it slips, right until 4th just goes out around 185F
Going to a 700E Level 2 raptor build from PATC after some back and forth with Randy.

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop...or-junior-real-deal-kit-raptor-in-a-box-copy/

#2 I apparently also developed either an overpressure issue or a seal leak or two, as my OCI light didn't fire, but I had the oil light trip while I was braking. When I checked it I was almost 2qts low. I've never had an issue with burning oil, on a normal 5-8k OCI with M1 I was getting less than a quart of oil loss, so this was definitely concerning. I didn't notice crazy high pressure either, but at 275,000 miles I'm still not running a high mileage oil, just M1 Extended Performance 5w30.

So I looked around, no oil drips or leaks I can see, but my exhaust is BLACK. Had someone follow me and no blue or black smoke when I hammer the gas, so I'm a little stumped. I cleaned out both vent ports on the head, stuck some deep creep inside both, and then used the new Gumout Multi-System tuneup in the crankcase and to clean the head - basically replacing Seafoam for the same purpose. THIS STUFF IS AWESOME AND LOADED WITH PEA (unlike seafoam, which is basically just esters).

After that, I popped a dose of Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver with a Maxlife Syn Blend 5w30 based on some reading at BITOG, I'll do an OCI at 2500 miles and do a second dose and see what happens after that. I'd like to avoid moving to a 10w30, so hopefully going to a HM oil from here out does the trick.

Making it to 275,000 miles without a HM oil speaks volumes, so I'm hoping that it's an easy fix.

I'm up in the air on the oil to use from here out, either Maxlife Syn Blend, Maxlife Full Syn, or M1 HM.

#3 - I'm also going to do a dose of Liqui-Moly Ceratek once I'm done with both treatments of the Motor Oil Saver and then start running MOS2 in the oil for every change. I want to see just how far I can take this motor.

· 252,000+ Miles
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 · (Edited)
The truck is now in the shop getting a stage 2 rebuild with some extras...so we'll call it a stage 2.5 rebuild.

I ordered the PATC Stage 2 Raptor In A Box rebuild kit and the Sonnax Performance Pack, as well as a GM Rebuilt Torque Converter.

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/performance-pack/

Since the Torque Converter is built with EC3 PWM in mind, I am not having the PWM delete from the Sonnax kit done, but I am going to the pinless accumulators & upgraded boost valve.

Part of the Stage 2 is a transgo separator plate (which was drilled for the Sonnax Performance Pack).

The stage 2 kit is a basic rebuild (upgraded clutch packs, etc) with a target HP of around 300. More importantly for me, I want another 300-400k miles out of it after this.

· 252,000+ Miles
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
A sidenote for anyone doing this (or any) rebuild on the twins....

When you order a remanufactured torque converter from GM for the 2004-2007 trucks, it comes splined for the 2008-2012 input shaft & drum. Only an extra $120 for a part that needed to to swapped anyway, but holy hell, I'd be pissed if I could re-use the existing one.

281 - 291 of 291 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.