Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Old NAPA Parts Delivery truck with 274k on it for my LS Swap Project.
single cab, 2WD, base model, Z85 4 banger.

Here she is, looking all sketch in the dark...

Pics from Craigslist

Extra parts that came with it

Poor girl is covered in snow at the moment

Plans for the truck goes as follows:
Turning a Gen III 5.3 into a Gen IV with a 76mm Turbo and E67 ECM
6L80e Transmission (with possible upgrades....?)
8.8 Rear with 3.73 and factory Posi.
Lowered as much as possible but maintain a good ride.
And then the kicker... I'm making it 4WD. Possibly AWD, but probably 4WD.

All ideas and comments are welcomed and appreciated. But if you're going to call me stupid for the 4WD part, Well I guess we'll find out how stupid I am. I've seen some members get some pretty shitty (attitude wise) responses when inquiring about going 4wd. Don't be that guy. END Rant.

Waiting on snow to melt and tax monies to get started.
Branden

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
487 Posts
Sounds like your replacing the entire driveline anyway, so going 4WD/AWD isn't stupid. Since your lowering it, I guess your thinking traction with the AWD? What are you thinking for the transfer case?

Pretty much a blank-canvas truck, it should be pretty sweet when it's done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I originally wanted to go 4WD, but then was educated on how an AWD case is easier on equipment, but I still want to be able to have 2wd when I want... because burnouts. That's why. lol. I dug deeper into the AWD cases and found out not very many are worth a damm, and they're all expensive. So I've pretty much hopped off the AWD Wagon.
No ideas yet as to what case yet, and still pretttttyyyyy foggy on which front axle I want to go with, but I'm looking into it.

Branden

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
look into a dana 300 and get it twinstick so u have 4x4 and 2hi and 2low and a 10 bolt should be fine for u

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Goodluck on a lowered truck and keeping IFS. You will basically be resesigning the front half of the frame, and finding a place for the driveshaft without shifting the engine and trans to one side or raising both and with a 6L80E makes it even tougher than just using the 4L60 because the 6 speed is significantly longer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
487 Posts
Goodluck on a lowered truck and keeping IFS. You will basically be resesigning the front half of the frame, and finding a place for the driveshaft without shifting the engine and trans to one side or raising both and with a 6L80E makes it even tougher than just using the 4L60 because the 6 speed is significantly longer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Didn't SuperMod lower his 4x4? Not that it's particularly slammed...

I'm sure there is some amount of lowering that can be done without having to go nuts. Depends on how low the OP wants to go. Of course, going with the 6-speed means the drive shaft is on the opposite side of the 'stock' Colorado, so that's going to get interesting. I'm not sure what the clearances are on that. If your heart-set on 4x4 with the 6, get that working first, then figure out lowering.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Didn't SuperMod lower his 4x4? Not that it's particularly slammed...

I'm sure there is some amount of lowering that can be done without having to go nuts. Depends on how low the OP wants to go. Of course, going with the 6-speed means the drive shaft is on the opposite side of the 'stock' Colorado, so that's going to get interesting. I'm not sure what the clearances are on that. If your heart-set on 4x4 with the 6, get that working first, then figure out lowering.
I wasn't saying a low 4x4 isn't possible, and lowering a stock 4x4 truck is a whole different ballpark over what he's trying to accomplish. I was implying with his drivetrain choice, he's looking at a lot of work and I still don't see him being able to get a front driveshaft in the thing with the 6 speed and v8 to work around.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't saying a low 4x4 isn't possible, and lowering a stock 4x4 truck is a whole different ballpark over what he's trying to accomplish. I was implying with his drivetrain choice, he's looking at a lot of work and I still don't see him being able to get a front driveshaft in the thing with the 6 speed and v8 to work around.
Of course there's things that will have to be cut and moved. I'll get it all figured out.
The ones that came factory V8, those were 4wd, wernt they? What would the difference be? And why would the 6speed being longer make it worse? It would take almost the same angle as if it were a 4l60. It's not like anything will be in between where it would be, and where it WILL be. (Shrugs)

I appreciate the input, I hope you take nothing I've said or asked in a bad way! I couldn't think to word it any other way and as I read it it sounded smartassish. Certainly not the case!

Thanks,
Branden

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
The driveshaft runs under the transmission with a notched pan

here's the 4 speed next to the 6 speed height difference is the problem vs the stock set-up

·
pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
1,999 Posts
blk2006 is wanting to turn his 4wd into awd, I don't think it's dumb at all, would hook so much better, I say go for it

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
This should be interesting :popc:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The driveshaft runs under the transmission with a notched pan

here's the 4 speed next to the 6 speed height difference is the problem vs the stock set-up

Ahhh, now I see what you're saying. Well, I'll probably have to make a custom adapter anyways, so I might be able to make this easier by clocking the case a little higher or lower?
Or worst comes to worst, a 2 piece drive shaft. Any way I gotta do it, I'll do it. Even if this turns out that I can go launching it hard in 4WD, I'll still do it so I can have something to drive in the snow.

Branden

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I'd say a Dana 300 tcase would work good cause u can put a clocking ring on it and put it however u want it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm set on the 6l80. And will probably go 205 transfer case. What do you guys think of that case? I've been told that the Dana 300 won't hold.
And if I do AWD, I'll do the nvg149. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Branden

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
487 Posts
I'm set on the 6l80. And will probably go 205 transfer case. What do you guys think of that case? I've been told that the Dana 300 won't hold.
And if I do AWD, I'll do the nvg149. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Branden
Don't know much about AWD cases, but after reading up on the NVG149, it sounds like a decent option. A purely mechanical solution with no fiddly electrical bits to tie in, which is a big plus.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Transmission is sold out of my S10. I'm stripping it down and that's where most of the parts for this build will come from. Preeeetttyyyyy pumped.

Oh, good talk though....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts