Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1543 Posts

·
badlandindustries.com
9,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd keep track of my progress for all to see. Thus far only 3.7s from 2007 have been the only candidates for previous years.
I bought a 3.7 from a friend and member here on the nation, without whom I'd still be less a motor and working vehicle. Moreover all of the background research and continued support throughout this process would have been nonexistent if it were any other seller. Thank you.

Motor arrived on Friday and we proceeded to extract the now dead 3.5l on Saturday evening.

More to come tonight...

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Re: 04 to 08 conversion

i think you'll have no problems since you have the 3.5L to take sensors and parts off of.

Glad to hear you got a motor and are getting the truck back going.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts

nice looking truck, you are going to be happy with the power increase. a friend of mine has a 06 canyon with the 3.5l and it feels slow compared to my truck with the 3.7

·
badlandindustries.com
9,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

There's no point in swapping the cams. We got the trans off this afternoon, torque converter and flywheel with a seized motor. The fuel rail from my motor is swapped over. Egr blocked off for now. Manifold to come off later. Water pump. Gonna marry the trans after dinner and have it ready to install after work tomorrow. i have to track down the maf scaling and see if i have to reduce my intake to accommodate it

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts

If you need a stock tune from an 07' 3.7L and your tuner has HpTuners mine is in the Tune Repository.

As for the MAF scaling I believe they are the same diameter tubing and sensors are basically the same.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Good luck with the swap! Since you have the harness from the donor I'm sure it can be made to work one way or another.

·
badlandindustries.com
9,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

If you need a stock tune from an 07' 3.7L and your tuner has HpTuners mine is in the Tune Repository.

As for the MAF scaling I believe they are the same diameter tubing and sensors are basically the same.
I think 08 was 1/8 narrower. Been a while since i had to know that

·
Registered
832 Posts

There's no point in swapping the cams. We got the trans off this afternoon, torque converter and flywheel with a seized motor. The fuel rail from my motor is swapped over. Egr blocked off for now. Manifold to come off later. Water pump. Gonna marry the trans after dinner and have it ready to install after work tomorrow. i have to track down the maf scaling and see if i have to reduce my intake to accommodate it
When it doesn't start, check this thread :)

http://www.355nation.net/forum/engine-swaps/53029-llr-differences.html

·
Registered
358 Posts

Nice Kevin can't wait to see more! [=

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts

Even if what you say is true Limequat he wouldn't have to swap the cams just the gears and sensors.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts

I guess i failed to mention i have the pcm too. the motor doesn't know what year truck it's going into. I have the bcm plug on order to adapt to the can/bus system. Other than that we're all good

you'll be fine then as long as the BCM's didn't change in 08 and it will communicate properly.

·
badlandindustries.com
9,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I'm not doing just block, or head, It's the whole motor harness and computers. I have all I'll need to make it work. I choose to swap the injectors to the 3.5 fuel rail due to mileage and the harness. Once the plug is here for the bcm it should, in theory, work.

·
Registered
832 Posts

I'm not doing just block, or head, It's the whole motor harness and computers. I have all I'll need to make it work. I choose to swap the injectors to the 3.5 fuel rail due to mileage and the harness. Once the plug is here for the bcm it should, in theory, work.
So you're using 08 ECM/TCM and 04 BCM?

Pretty sure 04 was GMLAN, and 08 is CAN. Not sure how this is going to work. :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 1543 Posts