Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Well I always wanted something a little faster and I figured it would be cheaper swapping engines than losing money and trading in my car. I also take it as a great learning experience and challenge. I am going to be pestering people for lots of help, but I am confident I can get this done

I found a 08 LY5 on craigslist along with a rebuilt 4L60e built up to a 4L65e (or so the seller says). It had all the accessories and came with a bunch of other goodies (more pics later today).Brand new JBA headers (assume they won't fit and will have to sell), 3200 rpm stall TQC, Harbor freight engine stand & engine hoist, airraid intake tube (no filter though) and a couple of things I am probably forgetting. Since picking up the engine and trans, I haven't had much time to start anything, but I figured it was a good a time as any to start a thread. Well wish me luck and get ready for the questions!!!

Only picture so far pretty much.

And here are the brand new headers. Trying to figure out what I can sell them for. *Sold cheaply on ebay*

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Over my head but ready to start

Sell the shorties and buy doug thorleys

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yea I am trying to find out which ones they are and just dump them off via craigslist. Now from what I can find out you made those fit (Doug thorleys), headers from a v8 rado will fit, from a trailblazer, and some others?

Nothing much to update. Ordered engine mounts and waiting for a day to start to tear off wire harness on new engine.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

TBSS headers need a BFH to make them fit, Doug's fit right in.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

looks like there Silverado headers, in SS they go for $200.00 to $250.00
on ebay.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts

JBAs generally have a tag welded on one the tubes......with my pervious experience

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Does anyone know if when dropping the 5.3l in, will I have to have the intake off since I am going with truck intake? I know I might have to 'convince' the firewall slightly for fitment. Just wondering if I should pull the intake while I wait for parts and procrastinate.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yea it sure is a tedious endeavor when it is your first time doing something like this. Sending out so many PM's!! Trying to figure out what my exhaust set up is gonna be. Was going to go cheapest but might have some extra cash and go true duel.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Also, is it worth trying to sell my engine to a local yard? It sucks because it was running fine for the most part and I would hate to get scrap value out of it. Or would it possibly be able to be parted out? I did neglect to take a video of it running before I tore it apart so I have no clear proof of it running.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts