2,685 Posts
Re: Over my head but ready to start

somebody on here mite want your old engine, put it in
the for sale section. the Doug header fall right in

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts

Sweet, didn't know you had a build thread, getting caught up o the threads, again... its like Christmas came early, so many V8 builds going on! You'll be receiving, some parts soon hopefully...

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Well small update and a question about the exhaust.

Jamie (04colyZq8) is pretty much finished with the engine harness and a break in the frigid weather got my ass into gear. Not much free time between 3 jobs and school full time, but a 6 hour break in between classes on Thursday (19th) means I am gonna drop the engine into my truck. This was a process with them being 5 miles apart and no truck to transport things. I shoved the engine lift into my Chevy sonic :O

Still have to find somewhere to take my two transmissions to swap output shafts and some other things but everything else should be in the works

My question is about the exhaust. I would like to piece one together myself without welding at first and using clamps. I am obviously deleting the front Cat because of the headers, but I wanted to install aftermarket rear cats for inspection purposes, but I am just curious if it will throw a code with only one cat. Also I am not sure what Y pipe I would need to make this work? I was looking into the Dynomax 39501 Exhaust to save some money but know I will need to get cats but can I use the adapter they include and just extend piping? And I assume I will most likely have to cut the adapter with the flange in the kit.

Sorry for rambling, just preparing for some work

Edit: Any pics of custom v8 exhausts with aftermarket headers would be great! I have searched and searched the nation for all I can but it is hard when looking for things so specific.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

I shoved the engine lift into my Chevy sonic :O
Pics or it didn't happen!

I will have my truck on the lift in the next week or so. I can snap some pics with my Thorley's on if no one else chimes in.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Pics or it didn't happen!

I will have my truck on the lift in the next week or so. I can snap some pics with my Thorley's on if no one else chimes in.
I really should have gotten pictures haha

That would be great, I won't have any exhaust work done by then anyway. Are you running a pretty much custom exhaust or pieces of a few different ones.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

Completely custom from the headers back.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Gotcha, I'll be in for the pics then! I am just trying to avoid taking it somewhere and have it 100% custom just to save some money. This swap has been draining funds as it is and thought maybe I can save some labor here

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

Honestly, depending on where you go, am exhaust shouldn't be too awfully expensive. I got a single dual in/out muffler to keep costs down, as well as just had turn downs before the axle. Granted, its a little loud in the cab, but the entire stainless system cost like $275 installed.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I'll look into it as well. There isn't a huge selection of shops around where I am so I'll have to do some searching and facebook suggestions as well.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Well it is progress! The engine is in and that is about the only update. Looking into a trans tomorrow and wire harness is probably another week or two out. Had to grind down the mounting brackets a decent amount in order for the CP mounting plates to clear. I did not notice this until I started putting it in so was a bitch jacking up and down up and down the find the sweet spot lol Finished at night so didn't tighten everything down but feels like progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

Nice. I didn't forget about the pics, just haven't had a chance to work on the truck yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts

nice, I am doing the swap right now too. My question is do you mind getting a measurement from bolt hole to bolt hole on the frame motor mounts? If its easy to do of course...My mounts dont want to line up and seems as if the colorado mounts at the frame are further apart then an H3.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

I don't know an easy way to do it now honestly. I am going back to my parents house where the truck is sitting sometime today and can try, but with it already in it might be difficult.

When putting it in I thought I may have installed the current performance mounts backwards but they were labeled pretty well and it turns out I had them on correctly. But if not, it would not have wanted to go in for sure.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Thread title updated :bang:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Keep those intake ports on the heads and other holes covered up.......please!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts