Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado 3.5L... I know the original thermostat releases at 180 degrees. The new ones release at 190 something.... does anyone know of a thermostat that releases at 180 besides the Stant Thermostat?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm pretty certain a stock thermostat is not a 180 degree , it's more in the 190 plus range . I know your chasing an over heating problem but swapping thermostats , whatever temperature range , will not fix the problem unless the current one is stuck closed . The thermostat is only one part of the cooling system and all components have to function properly to maintain the correct temperature . If you changed thermostats already , and are still over heating , the problem is elsewhere .

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I'm pretty certain a stock thermostat is not a 180 degree , it's more in the 190 plus range . I know your chasing an over heating problem but swapping thermostats , whatever temperature range , will not fix the problem unless the current one is stuck closed . The thermostat is only one part of the cooling system and all components have to function properly to maintain the correct temperature . If you changed thermostats already , and are still over heating , the problem is elsewhere .
I agree with OldTime. The Stant thermostat for my 5.3 is advertised at 180°, but the specs on Stant's website indicate the opening at 195°. If the coolant doesn't appear to be contaminated I would suspect a faulty water pump.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originaly the '04 and '05 had 180 deg. thermostats, GM changed the spec. to 195 to solve and emission issue. I think it was NoX. Motorad makes or made a 187 deg. I don't know if it is still available.
There is a mod to the 195 thermostat that will lower the temp, search around here. One member even sold the 1/8 x 1/8th pill that is installed into the thermostat.
Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I did see how you can put the 1/8" rod in the thermostat to make it run cooler.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks, I did see how you can put the 1/8" rod in the thermostat to make it run cooler.
That's true , however that would only apply to a cooling system that doesn't have any over heating issues . While a clever mod I don't see this as an answer for you .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It hasn't hit the red zone. So I wouldn't say that its overheating. Its up past half way about 5/8... Way more than it normally has been reading. Thats why I replaced the thermostat. Then I did an engine scan and got a P0118 code - (powertrain engine coolant temperature circuit high input). So I replaced the coolant temp sensor and no change occurred.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
It hasn't hit the red zone. So I wouldn't say that its overheating. Its up past half way about 5/8... Way more than it normally has been reading. Thats why I replaced the thermostat. Then I did an engine scan and got a P0118 code - (powertrain engine coolant temperature circuit high input). So I replaced the coolant temp sensor and no change occurred.
Did the code remain after you replaced the temp sensor?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts