Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every two months my third brake light blows. Both bulbs completely shattered. Anyone know what could be causing it? Anyone know if leds would blow too if i got them?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Water leaking in and suddenly cooling the hot bulbs?

You do know that the 3rd brake lamp assemblies always eventually leak, right?

If that is the cause then the answer is no, LEDS would not shatter.
(nor will LEDs shatter under any other circumstances unless you put 'em on a bench and smack them with a hammer)

But if the problem is water leakage, then you'll need to deal with that first, before it begins to leak faster and ruins your headliner, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just informed it might be my two subs that are causing it to break. Have the link to seal the light?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I was just informed it might be my two subs that are causing it to break. Have the link to seal the light?
Yer kiddin' .....
What, you got 1,000,000 watt amps?

May be, but I would look carefully for signs of water leakage.
The 3rd brake lamp assembly on these trucks ALWAYS leaks eventually.

Do a search on this site.

When you remove the lens to replace the bulbs, take a glance at the chintzy foam gasket and you'll see why.

Different owners have either sealed it with silicone sealant, or cut new heavier gaskets from better-quality thicker foam, or used foam weatherseal from Lowes.

Get back to us on this, 'kay?

·
Registered
330 Posts
i just brought home a second 355, and both the bulbs were shattered aswell. and on my other colly i had a leak into the cab, which flipping the third break light stopped that from leaking. so it ccould possibly help with the leaking into the housing aswell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts