Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I purchase just the rubber gasket that seals the light to the cab.I have tried three of four times to stop the leak.I went and pulled out seats and carpet,spent three hrs cleaning the carpet.The truck was smelling musky and I found out the third brake light was leaking.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I just went to lowes' and bought some weather stripping, removed the old gasket material and replace it with new stuff, just make sure what you get is thick enough that it compresses between the light and the cab.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,really thinking about getting it shaved.Wondering what it would cost to get it done.

·
Captain of the Enterprise
1,486 Posts
I went with the weather stripping method when I flipped my third brake light, and I have not had a problem with it since. It has been three monsoon seasons and still no leaks. The trick when doing this method though is that there will be multiple strips that joint together and you have to get them as tight together as possible. Then when the gasket material compresses the joints will be water tight. This is what I did. You could go with extra security and put silicone between the joints if that is what you want. 1/4" thick gasket will give you enough seal completely with out having too much material. I hope this helps you on your quest to seal you truck. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me I'll be more than happy to help you out with anything.:D

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I just went to my local autozone and got some weather stripping for auto doors, it was super thick and squishy. I actually had to press a little bit to even get the screws to thread, but it's going on 2 years and I have a ton left over if it ever fails again

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had the same issue but I just got some clear caulking and beaded it where the gasket would have gone. Knock on wood I haven't had an issue for years.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Problem is there's so little surface area around the perimeter of the thing.
So little area for a gasket to cover and to be squeezed into..

Single dumbest thing in the 355 design.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a new light,the original was faded pretty bad.I reinstalled my carpet,and I am really glad that musty odor is gone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Part number 20998779. Dealer price $13.38. Credit for providing this number goes to "bigq".
Thanks for the credit. I wish that would have solved my issue but it wasnt just that seal. I have found that water is still coming in, however its behind the kick panel on the driver side. I can't find where it's coming from on the outside though.

OP make sure to double check this area as well. Don't want to get everything back together as I did and find you still have a leak.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Thanks for the credit. I wish that would have solved my issue but it wasnt just that seal. I have found that water is still coming in, however its behind the kick panel on the driver side. I can't find where it's coming from on the outside though.

OP make sure to double check this area as well. Don't want to get everything back together as I did and find you still have a leak.
@bigq See if this helps you.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/interior/58187-water-leak-fixed-cowl-drivers-floor.html

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I just put some silicone on the factory seal and done son!

·
Registered
40 Posts
A HUGE THANK YOU to @CUZICAN!!!! I saw that thread when I first found out about my leak, I didn't look into it at the time because I believed the issue was the third brake light. Once I found out the brake light wasn't the only leak, I have been trying to find that post. I have probably over looked it a 100 times. I really appreciate posting that for me because I am in my garage with fender, hood, and cowl off trying to find the leak.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey big,my water was in the back floor board,it was the third brake light.I tried three differant times to stop the leak.Last resort was buy a new light,that fixed it.Hope you get yours fixed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used some urethane that I had left over from another project. Threw the gasket away..... 2 years ago I think and still dry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey big,my water was in the back floor board,it was the third brake light.I tried three differant times to stop the leak.Last resort was buy a new light,that fixed it.Hope you get yours fixed.
Lucky you! I just don't seem to have that luck when buying used vehicles. I didn't replace the whole light just the seal. I plan to go LED sometime so I am sure the light will be replaced eventually. I was so happy thinking wow I fixed the issue and it only cost me $14 and change, until this week when I found water in my driver side floorboard. I followed the thread that @CUZICAN posted to me so hopefully it is done now. I will let everyone know come tomorrow after I test it to see.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Lucky you! I just don't seem to have that luck when buying used vehicles. I didn't replace the whole light just the seal. I plan to go LED sometime so I am sure the light will be replaced eventually. I was so happy thinking wow I fixed the issue and it only cost me $14 and change, until this week when I found water in my driver side floorboard. I followed the thread that @CUZICAN posted to me so hopefully it is done now. I will let everyone know come tomorrow after I test it to see.
Driver's side floor board could also be a leak from the front (some have posted it here). I just used a heavy bead of clear silicone caulking around the top of my light 4 years ago and it never leaked again, Hurricane Sandy and everything. Still dry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had read this thread before joining and had noticed mold in my third brake light. The gasket had slipped down allowing water in. Like others I got some 3/8 x 3/16 weatherstrip. I finally got all the gasket off the light and bleached/scrubbed it out. On re-install I noticed a couple things. First, the light has raised sections near the screws to keep from squashing the gasket too hard. Second, the light is now bowed a bit. These combine, making the middle have a much larger gap.

·
Registered
162 Posts
While your resealing the brake light flip that sucker. It looks so much better with the curve of the cab. In search there's a how to on doing it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts