Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Those with GTO Seats!! Need some insight for the brackets

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  irish350 
#1 ·
Does anyone have photos of how they did the rails? Looking at mine now and planning it out, but wanted to see if someone else had engineered something that would work better than what I have come up with...

#2 · (Edited)
Not GTO seats but thought the pictures might help. :shrug:

Taken from radarmy088

Believe s10toColorado has some pictures of race seats as well somewhere, those seats are now in Rudy's truck. Same concept though, took the stock rails and made a bracket to mount the seats on.

#10 ·
If you'll wait a couple weeks I'll have a thread on here where I'm redoing the entire interior on my Colorado I bought back in early December. I'm putting in a set of GTO seats and I plan on keeping the powered controls. I'll do a write up of how I did it and what I used. Keep in mind its going to take some custom brackets made so you'll probably have to have some welding skills. We'll see how it goes. How quickly it goes though all depends on how quickly my new StockInteriors carpet gets here. Says 3-4 days to make then I have to wait on shipping time. That's pretty much the only thing keeping me from finishing it right now.

#13 ·
@n0b0dy1987 - here's a very crude sketch to give you an idea how I went about doing this. They still sit a little high for my liking in the back of the front seats but that is a simple bracket modification that is pretty simple to do, just time consuming (once again)

#15 ·
I believe he does but if he doesn't I do. They are simple to wire up also as all of the electric motors in the GTO seats are powered and controlled buy two control modules that are attached on the inside of the trim panels on the seats. There are only 2 wires that you have to hook up a positive and a negative. In the GTO the seats have a 20 amp fuse. Since the fuse panel is under the hood in our truck I didn't want to run the wires to the firewall so I ran mine back behind the cigarette lighters / power outlets. I ran the passenger side seat wires and spliced them into the drivers side seat wires and went back to the cigarette lighters from there. Since the cigarette lighters are already fused with a 20 amp fuse in the fuse box you don't need to run an inline fuse.

#17 · (Edited)
Keep in mind though you need to swap Iyour seat belts and swap the air bag stuff over. My pressure pad from the passenger get seat works perfect. When the wife is in there it's on but when one of my kids is sitting there it stays off. My original plan was to do some type of write up on how to build brackets for these seats but there is just too much custom work/test fitting that you need to do when building the brackets. There are literally a hundred different ways you can build them and all would work fine. My advice though when building the brackets is to disassemble the top half of the seat from the bottom and then remove the seat leather and cushion from the bottom half. You will then have the seat frame and cushion frame leftover assembled which makes it much easier to move around and test fit. The seats weigh almost 70 pounds a piece fully assembled so trying to maneuver a fully assembled seat in the truck is too difficult. Plus you have much better visibility with it disassembled.

#18 ·
Before I bought a set of leather H3 seats, I bought a set of '06 Grand Prix seats, and just removed the stock GP brackets, which were powered seats (still have 'em, if someone needs motors or the entire GP lower seat mounting mechanism for both), and was left w/the seat pans, which just needed a couple of holes drilled for two mounting bolts on each seat pan to adapt them to the stock 355 rails. I dunno how-similar the GTO seats would be, but I would think pretty-close. The stock GP seat slider & electrical operation system is too-wide for the 355 floorpan.

Looks like you did OK on your fitment, the main thing is to have them well-secured in the event of an accident, and also having the airbag seat cushion mechanism switched-over so that will still work. Collapsing seats were one of the things that hurt a lot of people before cars were built safer. The old VW 'bugs' were notorious for having the seats collapse and contribute to passenger injuries, partially due to the seats tearing-loose from corroded seat pans due to salt damage, and a lack of adequate strength in the stock seat design.

#20 ·
The GTO seats don't have pans. They have a cage style metal frame the cushions sit on. The GTO rails are wider than the Coly rails as well by a few inches. The problem with converting the GTO seats to manual sears is that the switches are built into the trim pieces. Here are what mine look like.

The second picture is of the seat control switches. Those two wires you see are the two you have to wire up. The control modules in the seats have all the necessary relays built in already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.