Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group, I have codes p0171 and p0300.. on my chevy colorado 07 2.9L I searched and searched couldn't find anything related to my problem. I did a smoke test on it and smoke was coming out from the the throttle body electronic gearbox where the seam is, I'm assuming the butterfly ends are sealed, but the one end attached to the gearbox is creating a vacuum leak, i'm assuming, i can see no other way how smoke can get in there. is there a fix to this problem, other than replacing the throttle body, they are not cheap. Thanks..

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
My suggestion would be to remove it and send it to James @ SuperModulation”. My understanding is that he not only repacks the throttle body, but he seals all of the nooks and crannies. His number is (713) 690 6443. He is a super person to do business with. Be advised, do not be surprised if he doesn’t answer, he is a very guy, and he will call you back.
Good luck,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My suggestion would be to remove it and send it to James @ SuperModulation”. My understanding is that he not only repacks the throttle body, but he seals all of the nooks and crannies. His number is (713) 690 6443. He is a super person to do business with. Be advised, do not be surprised if he doesn’t answer, he is a very guy, and he will call you back.
Good luck,
Thank you!

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Hi Group, I have codes p0171 and p0300.. on my chevy colorado 07 2.9L I searched and searched couldn't find anything related to my problem. I did a smoke test on it and smoke was coming out from the the throttle body electronic gearbox where the seam is, I'm assuming the butterfly ends are sealed, but the one end attached to the gearbox is creating a vacuum leak, i'm assuming, i can see no other way how smoke can get in there. is there a fix to this problem, other than replacing the throttle body, they are not cheap. Thanks..
Yes there sealed on yours. We have replacements instock!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had both and fixed both due to info I either found here or Coloradofans. Sorry can't remember what I did for 300, but I'll try to look into it when I get off of work. As for 171, I get that approx 2 times a year due to my Volant intake. I clear it myself each time and it doesn't show back up for several more months. I found that info out as well from research I'd done. So that's just an idea that it may be a simple temporary thing that only happens every blue moon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok, I think I ended up changing out the O2 sensors and MAF sensor for p0300

Edit: sorry, replying at work. I see you also had some smoke. I have the same year and engine but fortunately not that problem. I've had most of the other popular issues though! Just wanted to add how fantastic those ported throttle bodies are and very reasonably priced. It's my favorite and most noticeable mod by far. Hopefully, it will get you up and running.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
This used to be a common problem back in the carburetor days. There are videos out there on replacing the bushings on the ends of the throttle plate rod. Most of them require removing the butterfly plate, boring out the holes and inserting a section of small brass or copper tubing as a bushing. Over time, the stainless (I think it's stainless) steel rod constantly turning inside the hole in the aluminum throttle body, wears the hole out. That usually happens first on the side where the cable, or whatever controls the opening and closing of the butterfly is located.
I'd probably look for a throttle body at a "U-Pull" salvage yard and if it leaks, you'll have a spare to try putting bushings in.
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts