Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Custom User Title
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using a Throttle Response Optimizer?

On my '09 V8 Colorado, there is a slight delay in throttle response due to drive by wire

So, I'm thinking about trying the Hypertech REACT Performance - Part #101202

I can buy on Amazon and return it if it doesn't work or is otherwise problematic.
Just curious if anyone has tried one of these and how it worked out...

·
Custom User Title
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why the Amazon listing uis saying Part #101202 is for Jeep

The Hypertech shows this is the right one to get for a 2009 Colorado with 5.3L

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Most of these basically "shorten" your pedal travel, so a little bit of pedal is the same response of a lot of pedal on your standard set up. So, it's more responsive, but it's not any kind of real overall performance improvement. If throttle response is sluggish on your truck, I'd try cleaning the throttle body first. If it's dirty and restricting air flow, nothing is going to make response better until you fix the source of the problem. Remove the throttle body and clean it up.

·
Custom User Title
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If throttle response is sluggish on your truck, I'd try cleaning the throttle body first. If it's dirty and restricting air flow, nothing is going to make response better until you fix the source of the problem. Remove the throttle body and clean it up.
That's not the issue. Drive by wire is known to have slower throttle response than a cable setup.

Everything can be clean and brand new and there will still be lag due to drive by wire.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Then that's exactly what you need. I don't see any cables on it, but I'm sure it's exactly what you're looking for and it will probably double your horsepower and you gas mileage. Go for it.

·
Custom User Title
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my truck is "drive by wire" so there wouldn't be any cables on it.

I never said it would increase horse power or MPGs or any of that nonsense. Not sure where you are getting all that from as I never said any of that. It will however speed up the response time for my throttle making it faster than stock. (the throttle response time)

Everyone knows drive by wire is slower than a cable operated throttle (before they came out with drive by wire), and this product is designed to speed the response time up

You're obviously are not using this product (and maybe not even understanding it), but others may be and I was simply asking for feedback from those that are using this product or one like it as there are several products like this on the market for all drive by wire vehicles.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I actually just contacted Pedal Commander about one of their units for my new work vehicle - 2020 Ford Police Interceptor.

They said they are developing a new model and I'll get one in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how it works when I get it. I'm pretty sure it does the same thing as the one you referenced.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Here's a good video. It basically shows what the throttle optimizers do. Pressing the pedal about 1/2 of the way down, in sport mode, it opens the throttle about 3/4 of the way. At full depression of pedal, all of the settings are the same. It basically shortens your gas pedal movement, so it "feels" much more responsive because it causes your throttle to open more than it used to at the same amount of pedal movement. Isn't that what this video shows. In my old 60"s muscle cars, we did the same thing by changing the "geometry" of the linkages on the throttle cable. Several aftermarket carburetors came with different holes in the arm that you attached the cable to to offer higher and lower "sensitivity". It's nothing new, just the same thing offered for drive by wire that used to be offered with cable activated throttle operation.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I'm sorry, but in looking over my last post I realized that when I was younger I would have jumped all over this gadget to get the results that I looked for in my hot rod days. I guess I'm just becoming a grumpy old guy these days. If you're looking for quick pedal response, this will certainly give you that. And the adjustability is pretty convenient too. Again, we used to have other methods of accomplishing the same thing in the old cable and carburetor days. The problem we had though is that the accelerator pedal wouldn't go all the way to the floor because we had basically "shortened" the travel of the pedal. If you stomped the pedal to the floor, it would usually break the cable or make it disconnect from the carburetor, which was a bit embarrassing if you were trying to impress others your buddies!!
Again, I'm sorry for being critical of your desire for some quick acceleration. I did the same thing when I was younger and my Dad probably criticized my decision too. Wow!! I've become my Dad! I have his hairline too!
Sorry KM Richards
Have fun and don't pay attention to old farts like me!
Let us know how it works!

·
CALI BOSS
6,269 Posts
Having your PCM tuned would produce better results. So many other parameters can be adjusted for better overall performance. It greatly improved the throttle response on my truck

·
Custom User Title
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Already tried supermod ported throttle body and it made no noticeable difference

Truck was tuned by local performance shops that specializes in Vettes, Camaro, Exclusive GM only performance shop (they work a lot with racing) and the drive by wire lag is still present.

There is alot of data online about drive by wire lag and it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer concerning what all can be done to minimize it

This little gizmo will enable me to have control over drive by wire lag and eliminate it which cannot be fully done by tuning or making the throttle body slightly larger for a little more air flow.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
My new Pedal Commander shipped out today.

I should have a review by late next week hopefully.

BTW: The staff at PedalCommander (Larry) is awesome. Incredibly nice guy. He’s also from WV!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts