Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. 2009 colorado 4x4 wt 3.7 155k. Getting codes for low fuel pressure rail and fuel control module.
I took it into a diagnostic shop to have a definitive answer because most info showed a lot of different culprits. Just didn't want to be a parts changer, and really didn't want to pull the tank and put in a new fuel pump.
They told me the fuel pump was getting worn and needed a new one. They quoted me a price. I said thank you and ordered one myself. I bought a acdelco unit with the fuel level sensor included. This is important because the fuel level was reading about a half when I filled it up. And I figured I would kill two birds with one stone
I started the job at two today, and I was surprised that I finished about 4:30, six hour quote of labor? I did it in my dirt driveway in two and a half! Four hoses, two electrical connectors, and two straps. It helped I only had four gallons left in the tank.
Finished up, cranked it up. Still showing the codes. Better yet, filled up the tank, still showing not full, actually a little below three quarters? Definitely not working right. I sprayed deoxit on all connections when they were apart.
I'm pretty pissed about the charge for the diagnostic when they were wrong. I don't want to be a parts changer! And that's what I was today.
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm beat, I'm gonna have a beer, or more.....

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
The circuits for the Fuel Pressure Sensor and the Pump/Sender Module go through the Fuel Pump Control Module. The Fuel Pump Control Module causes the P069E to set. The Pressure Sensor and the Pump/Sender grounds are in the Fuel Pump Control Module, which in turn is grounded at G105. Before going any further, I would suggest checking that ground. If you aren't familiar with it, it is located on the left side of the engine bay, outboard of the Brake Control Module. This photo is the ground on the right side, but is exactly the same.

Clean the surfaces where the bolt connects to the fender wall.

You could also have a defective Fuel Pump Control Module. There was a recall for some 2009 models. If you search here you will probably find a reference to it. You could probably do a visual inspection of it. It is mounted the the bed above the spare tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked and cleaned all grounds. Scuffed grounding surfaces, deoxit on all connections, everything looked good. Problem with fuel control module for the do it yourselfer, has to be reprogrammed by the dealer......
I set up a time at the dealer to run a diagnostic on the truck, and replace/reprogram module if necessary. They have the part in stock, will run about 450, ugh. And I can get the new part for 65!
I mentioned that the truck had a recall for the module, it was built 3/09. They made no mention of it qualifying. At least they will figure out the problem, I hope!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just spent the day at the dealership. They tested the parts and found them working fine. But they said there was a bad wire going from the fuel control module to the fuel rail pressure sensor. they could not find the fault area, so they ran a wire . They were able to stop the fault codes.
Now, after alll of this, the fuel guage doesnt work! After they put it all together, they started getting a P0463 engine code. Now the fuel guage never worked great, but after the fuel pump, it started showing 3/4 tank when it was full. They are suggesting the same procedure. Faulty wire replaced with a new one going from the fuel pump to the PCM. I told them I had to get back to work. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the PCM? If i knew the pinouts for the plug, I could do it myself. Thank a lot!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
There are some schematics in the electrical section but if not there PM member rshadd. I bet he has access to it and would post it for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went out to test the connection on the fuel pump. I wiggled it a few times, the gauge started working. Code cleared. And it was actually reading the correct amount for a change. I then went to dinner, and on the way back, it seemed to be reading a little lower than it did before(restaurant was only a mile away), about an 1/8th lower. But, it was still working! Maybe I'm staring at it too much?
Anyway, everything is working, no codes!, just a little lighter in the wallet. Feeling better about it. I'm supposed to drive to Telluride this weekend with the old lady, and I wished she would let me take us in it! There are some of the best 4x4 trails around there! She said there is no way she is spending seven hours in it each way. She's not a fan...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts