Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Colorado, 2WD with the MA5 5 speed. Recently Swapped in a LM7 5.3 V8 and the FabBot adapter kit.
Drove about 1000 miles before the swap, never had an issue shifting. I dropped the V8 a month ago and I've been trying to go on short drives to tune and test it.

I have to bleed the clutch before every drive, and about 5 minutes down the road it gets very hard to shift. I pull into the driveway and theres fluid dribbling out of the bellhousing. Textbook bad throwout bearing, right? I pulled the trans off last weekend, replaced it with a new LUK throwout bearing and the exact same thing happens. Still leaks pretty bad out of the same spot, clutch pedal feels soft. I changed the little O-ring on the quick connect too.

What are the chances I got a new bearing thats dead on arrival? is there anything on a throwout bearing install thats easy to screw up and damage a brand new throwout bearing? What's the best brand of throwout bearing to get that isn't $300?

thanks for any input, i'm really trying to get this pile of junk project done before there's snow on the ground

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just put it back together and I found the issue, pedal feels firm and there's no leaks. Haven't built the exhaust yet so its loud as fck and I cant drive it yet.

There's a little spacer for the FabBot kit that goes between the slave cylinder and the trans case. On my second try, I forgot to include it. When I torqued the bolts down, It bent the hydraulic line and made a tiny leak.

On RockAuto, the $45 FTE bearing and the $80 LUK bearing are identical. Same casting number on the side, same materials, half the price. Buy the cheap one

Automotive tire Cylinder Fastener Gas Automotive wheel system
Hopefully this helps

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Sachs original lasted 13 years , 165k miles and didn’t leak.
sachs replacement from rockauto lasted 20k miles and 4 years. Didn’t leak but stopped sealing and aluminum flakes showed up in master resavoir. Put Luk( identical AP casting as Sachs) 2 months ago.
How did you bleed?? Maybe too much pressure from pressure bleeder damaged?
I bled mine annually... I feel aftermarket not as good as actual original. I only could use pressure bleeding to work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The kit I used came with a long braided hose that connects to the bleeder, long enough to go right up to the master cylinder. I opened the bleeder on the end of the hose and let it sit in the master cylinder reservoir! Worked very well all I had to do was push the clutch pedal 20 times.

I don't know about the original slave cylinder, but the second one was damaged during install and the third seems to be working now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts