Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is garrett bartelmie and im from california. im new to this site. ok so i am putting on a 4 inch skyjacker lift on my truck right now and it says to undo the outer tie rod. so i undid the 21mm bolt and tried to hit it out, but it wont disconnect from the spindle. i dont know much about this so can someone help me with this..how do i get it off??

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
pickle fork...works but not really what u want to do. most autoparts stores sell or rent a tool that will push it out w/out destroying the tierod end

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
carefully a pickle fork will do the job but there is a special tool when ur tryin to save the tierod. but if u take your time a pickle fork is cheap and does the job

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
You don't want to just hit the end of it, you'll likely damage the threads on the end and won't be able to get the nut back on. Get a pickle fork like suggested, they're cheap from your local auto parts store. I think I only paid $15-20 for mine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
when i disconnect tie-rods i use a hammer and hit the steering knuckle right where the tie-rod end goes into the knuckle.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
when i disconnect tie-rods i use a hammer and hit the steering knuckle right where the tie-rod end goes into the knuckle.

Correct. That's the best way. Beat the shit out of the side of the knuckle, it'll come loose.

Forks work alright but 80% of the time they damage the boots by ripping them. I do suspension at work all the time and the only time I'll use a fork (have to borrow one cause I don't even have one!) is when the lower control arm is junk and getting replaced anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
so i hit it where the spindle meets the tie rod?
Yea on the side. I hope you didnt smash down on the thread of the tie rod. If so that bolt probabily isnt going back on :lol: They also have a tie rod seperator that u can rent from autozone that works pretty good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i got the tie rod off with the pickle fork and now im working on getting the spindle itself off. it said to undo the ball joint on the upper and lower a-arms. well i got the top one off but i cant get the bottom one off. the pickle fork doesnt fit the bottom one and i tried hitting the side of it, but i didnt have any luck...any advice??
oh and also the little rubber boots on all of them got torn a little bit..is that a problem??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will it affect anything if the boot is ripped?? or can you replace them? sorry these are probably all stupid questions, i just dont know.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
not sure if u can buy just the boot maybe they sell universals, might have to buy new parts for whichever ripped and just use the boot.also no u cant run it without the boot thats what holds all ur grease in all those parts will b toast bfore u know it

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
will it affect anything if the boot is ripped?? or can you replace them? sorry these are probably all stupid questions, i just dont know.
You gotta replace the boot. You should be able to buy them from the dealer if u cant find any non oem replacements

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so once i finish putting the lift on, and get all the ball joints back together, i was gonna take it down to the dealer to have them replace them for me in lancaster, CA which is an hour from where i live..is this too much driving on the ball joints with those boots ripped? will they be ruined by the time i get to the dealer?? also how much do you think it would cost to get new ones from them and have them replace them for me??

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
so once i finish putting the lift on, and get all the ball joints back together, i was gonna take it down to the dealer to have them replace them for me in lancaster, CA which is an hour from where i live..is this too much driving on the ball joints with those boots ripped? will they be ruined by the time i get to the dealer?? also how much do you think it would cost to get new ones from them and have them replace them for me??
Honestly I would just replace them yourself. They are just rubber boots with a metal retaining ring to keep them on. Im sure the dealer will rape you to replace them. And if you gotta drive to the dealer to get them replaced im sure the dealer would regrease them so you should be fine, all they do is keep the dust out. But if you do decide to replace them and cant find them for cheap elsewere you might see if energy suspension has any that fit our trucks. I just replaced the ones on my civic with them and seemed to fit just fine and they only cost me $5 for 2.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so the passenger side of my truck i didnt use a pickle fork. i just heated up the tierod and the spindle and then the two ball joint areas and just hit the side of it a few times, like suggested, until it came lose..much better way i must say. i wish i would have just took my time and did the other side the same way, now i need to replace the boots on the driver side.. :( o well, live and learn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts