Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 04 3.5L I5 is in need of a valve job at 189k. I've decided it's time to start planning out what I need to be able to tackle this job.

I threw a p0171 code the other day as well. New MAF should be here today, and I'll pull the throttle body off and clean it again as well as check the PCV hose while the resonator is off.

I've already got a quote to do the full valve job, and have a second head ready to send to the machine shop. I figure I'll do the timing chain, guides and tensioner while in there as well, but my question is what else should I think about doing? My water pump is less than a year old, so I probably don't need to worry to much about that, but should I just go ahead and replace it anyways?

I'm also going to be going through the suspension and steering, as I offroaded it pretty hard before buying a second vehicle for my offroad needs. Transmission and xfer case should be good, with the exception of the transfer case rear output seal leaking just a bit. I have a new seal to put in, I've just not done it yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, my 04 3.5L I5 is in need of a valve job at 189k. I've decided it's time to start planning out what I need to be able to tackle this job.

I threw a p0171 code the other day as well. New MAF should be here today, and I'll pull the throttle body off and clean it again as well as check the PCV hose while the resonator is off.

I've already got a quote to do the full valve job, and have a second head ready to send to the machine shop. I figure I'll do the timing chain, guides and tensioner while in there as well, but my question is what else should I think about doing? My water pump is less than a year old, so I probably don't need to worry to much about that, but should I just go ahead and replace it anyways?

I'm also going to be going through the suspension and steering, as I offroaded it pretty hard before buying a second vehicle for my offroad needs. Transmission and xfer case should be good, with the exception of the transfer case rear output seal leaking just a bit. I have a new seal to put in, I've just not done it yet.
Might wana check your exaughts cam actuator.. whill the head is off.. could be the reason you need a valve job done.. its a special order part that dos not come with the timing set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts