Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So im changing my oil at my cousins shop, and when I go to start up the truck, my friend/mechanic who is standing by the front of my truck with the hood open, notices the rattle. After a couple start ups and discarding noises from other things and what not, we come to the conclusion that my timing chain is making noise only upon start-up.. which makes sense because after that it stays silent and while driving it makes no "audible" noise..

I did some googling on this and came up with a couple of threads from the H3 Forums of people having this issue, with basically the only solution being getting the timing chain replaced, some did it under warranty, others out of pocket, others havnt seem to bother to get it fixed.

My truck has 101,000KM / 63,125 Miles. Which some would consider "low mileage", and really, I think its low specially for having to replace a timing chain. SO basically, my queston is... should I be concerned by this timing chain rattle? Should I take this as a sign that I need to get it serviced/replaced soon? Or should I just wait it out until it gets worst and then worry about it?

I checked on rock auto, and the complete timing set costs $250, I would much rather put the money towards other things I want at the moment, but I hate skimping on maintenance so Im not sure what I should do.

:salute:

·
Registered
73 Posts
save ur money .....most 3.5's have the START-UP RATTLE .i also have it ..when we shut down the motor oil pressure is lost and the timming chain binder retracts ..the rattle only lasts for 3 odd seconds when we start the motor and does no harm to the motor ..i have tried different oil filters and it made no difference ..i use syntetic oil and don't worry about the rattle anymore .

·
Registered
162 Posts
Its just as browning said. My 2007 3.7 has done it since the day I bought it brand new. A little more noticable when first starting after its set for a few hours. I've gotten so I don't even notice it any more, just gotten used to it. Not long after I got the truck I asked the lead mechanic at my GM dealership whom I knew very well and he has been with GM 30 years. He never hesitated but told me exactly what browning stated. Drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its just as browning said. My 2007 3.7 has done it since the day I bought it brand new. A little more noticable when first starting after its set for a few hours. I've gotten so I don't even notice it any more, just gotten used to it. Not long after I got the truck I asked the lead mechanic at my GM dealership whom I knew very well and he has been with GM 30 years. He never hesitated but told me exactly what browning stated. Drive it and enjoy it.
ok this sounds promising... i guess I will stop worrying about it and just keep driving, maybe if it comes to the point where it rattles during idle or something I'll crack it open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So im changing my oil at my cousins shop, and when I go to start up the truck, my friend/mechanic who is standing by the front of my truck with the hood open, notices the rattle. After a couple start ups and discarding noises from other things and what not, we come to the conclusion that my timing chain is making noise only upon start-up.. which makes sense because after that it stays silent and while driving it makes no "audible" noise..

I did some googling on this and came up with a couple of threads from the H3 Forums of people having this issue, with basically the only solution being getting the timing chain replaced, some did it under warranty, others out of pocket, others havnt seem to bother to get it fixed.

My truck has 101,000KM / 63,125 Miles. Which some would consider "low mileage", and really, I think its low specially for having to replace a timing chain. SO basically, my queston is... should I be concerned by this timing chain rattle? Should I take this as a sign that I need to get it serviced/replaced soon? Or should I just wait it out until it gets worst and then worry about it?

I checked on rock auto, and the complete timing set costs $250, I would much rather put the money towards other things I want at the moment, but I hate skimping on maintenance so Im not sure what I should do.

:salute:
I had the same problem and I replaced the serpentine idler pulley for the air condioning and it solved it. You can troubleshoot this by removing the serpentine belt and run the engine for a short time.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The oil filter contains a check valve that prevents the oil from draining out of the filter and the main oil galley when the engine is stopped. When you remove the oil filter the oil drains out of the engine by gravity. When restarted it takes a few seconds for the oil to refill the filter, then fill the oil galley, and then finally it will have enough pressure to extend the hydraulic timing chain tensioner. That means a short term rattle is normal when the filter is changed. If the filter check valve is defective it can rattle every time it is started up. You should note that some oil filters do not have check valves so be careful if you substitute an off brand cheapo filter.
The good news is that while chain rattle is common with these engines I cannot even remember anyone here that actually had a chain related breakdown. When I did my valve job at 150,000 miles I had some chain noise and I found badly worn timing chain guides.
I replaced the timing set including the hydraulic tensioner and haven't heard a sound since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The oil filter contains a check valve that prevents the oil from draining out of the filter and the main oil galley when the engine is stopped. When you remove the oil filter the oil drains out of the engine by gravity. When restarted it takes a few seconds for the oil to refill the filter, then fill the oil galley, and then finally it will have enough pressure to extend the hydraulic timing chain tensioner. That means a short term rattle is normal when the filter is changed. If the filter check valve is defective it can rattle every time it is started up. You should note that some oil filters do not have check valves so be careful if you substitute an off brand cheapo filter.
The good news is that while chain rattle is common with these engines I cannot even remember anyone here that actually had a chain related breakdown. When I did my valve job at 150,000 miles I had some chain noise and I found badly worn timing chain guides.
I replaced the timing set including the hydraulic tensioner and haven't heard a sound since.
The 3.7 calls for a delco PF61 oil filter. however, the delco PF61E has the anti drain back bladder. Using the PF61E completely eliminates the rattle. We switched at 54,000km and we now have 260,000. we were advised not to do this in severe service use, such as trailer towing in hot climates, as the trapped oil will deteriorate after shutdown due to heat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My mechanic also thought it was the timing chain rattle
=The noise was actually fixed by replacing the serpentine belt and idler pulley ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts