Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the timing chain and gears on my 05 Colorado with 4cyl engine. The tensioner was bad allowing the chain to stretch and ultimately chewing away at the aluminum guides dumping aluminum shavings in the oil pan. Ironically I did not have any OBD codes prior to the change. It was just making a terrible noise. The changeout went well, all things considered with working on these trucks. Now it runs fine and quiet. Has more power than before however now I have a P0017 code. I checked the exhaust cam actuator solenoid after checking the screens and it having aluminum shavings in it with one screen broken. Replace this. Reset the codes but Poo17 keeps coming up. Additionally after I reset it, it you can drive for a while without the code happening again until you start it up again. Occasionally it turns but doesn’t start when you try to start it, but afternreleasing the starter and trying again it starts immediately and runs well. I have to assume I didn’t do something correctly with the timing chain changeout so nice I didn’t have the code off the very occasional starter BG issue before. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Could it be that you have metal shavings in the exhaust phaser that is on the front of the cam itself. One missing screen to my knowledge is normal on the electrical actuator.
Doesn't the actuator merely direct oil pressure to the phaser mounted to the cam that advances or retards the cam timing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The screen wasn’t missing. I took the exhaust cam actuator solenoid out and when I was cleaning the metal shavings out, one of the screens broke. I replaced the cam actuator and have also replaced the cam position sensor. The P0017 code went away. All is well so far. It is still a little noisier than I would like, but it appears that is very common with the 4 and 5 cylinder models.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I did my valve job, I used the GM tools to hold the timing chain in place. After I finished, the engine ran tons better but it started throwing the p0017 code. I found I was off 1 tooth on the cams. Might re-check your timing marks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I did my valve job, I used the GM tools to hold the timing chain in place. After I finished, the engine ran tons better but it started throwing the p0017 code. I found I was off 1 tooth on the cams. Might re-check your timing marks.

when i did my head i also got the gm tool for the cams, i found it was too slack for my liking so, i improvise with this :naughty:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is is possible to fix that 1 cam tooth issue without removng the whole engine... I am having the same issue, and even though the truck is running perfect (other than the code) the dealrship is telling me it is the timing.

·
2 timer
1,437 Posts
Timing chain being loose can cause the P0017 as well. Doesn't need to be off 1 tooth. It has to do with the computer not sensing something at millisecond intervals. Why so sensitive?????

I had the code for over 100,000 miles in my '09 and the truck ran perfectly fine, mileage never wavered. I periodically checked the codes to make sure nothing new ever showed up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Timing chain being loose can cause the P0017 as well. Doesn't need to be off 1 tooth. It has to do with the computer not sensing something at millisecond intervals. Why so sensitive?????

I had the code for over 100,000 miles in my '09 and the truck ran perfectly fine, mileage never wavered. I periodically checked the codes to make sure nothing new ever showed up.
Yeah, mine definitely isn't loose. I had got this engine from a wrecker. And I did the timing chain and guides. As well as replaced every sensor with a new AC Delco one, (I started a rebuild project of my old engine but it had spun a balancing shaft bearing and couldn't find a shop to fix that, hence the wrecker engine) so I already had all new parts.
Unfortunately in Taxachusetts if the light is on it won't pass inspection. I have one more year before it is exempt from that rule.
I have seen some info it could be the VVT "sprocket" on the cam shaft ( can't think of the proper name,) that if that is out of spec it can cause this, or the sprocket on the crank shaft for the timing sensor can slip as is just press fit on the crank shaft. Unfortunately the dealer did about as much as I could do in troubleshooting, tech 2 scanner and their service manual.
They quoted me $3700 to do the timing... I'm no the engine was $3200 I will work on it when it spring or summer.

·
2 timer
1,437 Posts
$3700 seems a bit steep for the timing, I was quoted $2800 2 years ago on the old truck, but the value of the truck (this was pre-pandemic) just didn't justify putting that much into the rig. Of course the pandemic has the dealer service departments making up for lost sales. Be aware that the VVT sprocket is no longer available from GM and is high dollar if you find one.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had read somewhere that the original ECM programing as rather tight on the tolerance for setting the timing code and that later updates loosened the cam code set criteria. For what's worth.
Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts