Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be putting my Z71 flares back on the rear after getting my bedsides painted (loose flares caused paint flaking) and I'm wondering if you guys have any tips to put them on. Should I wax underneath them first? Do I put a few retainers on before sticking it down to the body? Do they line right up, or is there some guess-work to get them positioned right? Gonna go to Napa tomorrow and pick up some new retainers for it.

Another question, what would you guys recommend to bring the flares back to looking new? I would say Back To Black, but they're more grey than black (unpainted, not color match). They're not bad, they just have a few weird white wear spots on the edge. When I bought it, the dealership put some sort of coating on it that made your hands greasy when you touched it, and they looked awesome.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I use Mcguire's plastic restorer a couple times a year on my plastic. It works OK. Much better than Armoral.You have to really rub it in. A little goes a long way. it gets a couple streaks after it rains though. I just rub a little more on the streaks.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
If you don't have it already, you will need some ½" 3M Molding Tape, Part No. 03609. Sold at Walmart and most auto parts stores. Make sure to wipe down all of the surfaces with alcohol prior to application.

The instructions that came with my flare package:

1. Crease tape tabs so that tabs protrude outside edge of flare for easy removal after installation.
2. Clean and dry wipe sheet metal where adhesive tape will contact.
3. Install pushpin at center 12:00 position.
4. Install pushpins at both bottom ends.
5. Pull tape liner tabs to remove protective tape lining.
6. Install remaining pushpins.
7. Apply pressure along entire length of flare over top of tape to get full adhesion.

In case you need it, the part number for the retainers is 11561353.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
^^ that's it

I was just getting ready to post that same info up

·
Registered
242 Posts
A trick used to get black (unpainted) plastic is using Kiwi black shoe polish. I do it a few times a year on my MK2 Golf and looks great. Usually lasts 2-3 months.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
A trick used to get black (unpainted) plastic is using Kiwi black shoe polish. I do it a few times a year on my MK2 Golf and looks great. Usually lasts 2-3 months.
That's a brilliant idea.............did you have a problem with it melting in the summer?
@Portland ORado

·
Registered
510 Posts
hahaha same thing on my last 3 mk2! but at the end of my vw trip I use forever black. awesome product. I buy from ebay 2-3years ago.

or 3M have a product like bumper textured restoration or something else just for regeneration of black textured plastic very good product is lite fin paint in spray can, but need to tape all...

·
Registered
242 Posts
@1BADI5

It's Kiwi Black Liquid Dye or the Kiwi Magic Scuff.

Don't want anyone buying the wax polish and saying that it didn't work.

I've read a lot of people using heat guns to get their bumper back to looking new, but I've never attempted it.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys. I remember reading about putting in three retainers and then sticking it down, just couldn't find it from Google. I got the tape, P/N 03614, appears to be the same thing, just 15' instead of 5'. Would the stealership have the retainers, or where would you recommend getting them (besides the internet, don't feel like waiting a week)

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
The Dealer might have them in stock depending on how large the Dealer is and how many they sell. The same retainers could be used on a number of vehicles. Most Dealers can get a part delivered in a day or maybe two.

·
Registered
486 Posts
@1BADI5

It's Kiwi Black Liquid Dye or the Kiwi Magic Scuff.

Don't want anyone buying the wax polish and saying that it didn't work.

I've read a lot of people using heat guns to get their bumper back to looking new, but I've never attempted it.
The only problem with this and back to black is: Our plastic parts are not black, nor are they leather. They are called chevy dark grey plastic. You really put shoe polish on your car?? You can see people on youtube using heat guns.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
I use back to black on my gray bumper plastics (front and rear), on my stock mirrors, stock exterior door handles and tailgate handle, and the wiper cowl piece. Works just fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The only problem with this and back to black is: Our plastic parts are not black, nor are they leather. They are called chevy dark grey plastic. You really put shoe polish on your car?? You can see people on youtube using heat guns.
It works wonders. Its like $3.00 (2.5 oz) at Walmart while Back to Black is like $10.00 (4 oz). I have body colored fender Flares from the factory, and I haven't done my truck as I don't have any real oxidation yet on the plastics. I just clean them now and wipe them with WD-40.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It works wonders. Its like $3.00 (2.5 oz) at Walmart while Back to Black is like $10.00 (4 oz). I have body colored fender Flares from the factory, and I haven't done my truck as I don't have any real oxidation yet on the plastics. I just clean them now and wipe them with WD-40.
I remember that Kiwi stuff for shoes. That's a new one for me. I'll have to remember it. WD-40 is also great stuff.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been looking at my truck for a while during work the last few days, and the no flares look is growing on me. I'm probably gonna pull off the front flares and see if I like it. The tires stick out a decent amount, but I'm not gonna be hoggin' through mud often, so it should be fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts