Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and looked and haven't come up with a definitive answer. I need to know for sure that I can/can't fit 285/70/17 tires on the attached pic rims. According to the specs the rims are 7" wide and according to TireRack the tires I want need 7.5" rims at a minimum. What would be the negatives if I mounted these tires on these rims? Or is it not even possible? Thanks for any information.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Incorrect tire wear is the result of a narrow wheel and wide tire.

If that is factory wheel, you will probably/possibly rub with a 285mm tire.

A 2wd person just installed that size a few days ago. After lifting he had to trim two places to eliminate the rub.
Some shops may not install the tire on an unapproved wheel width.

To do it properly, you should get the right sized tire for that wheel, OR get a wheel with the proper width and backspacing for the tire you want to use.

I think what you meant to say is "I've read the posts and haven't read the answer I want to hear".

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha I said what I meant to say. I never read anywhere that it can not be done. That is what I was looking for was someone saying a definitive NO. If the answer was a no I wanted to know why and then if it was a yes I wanted to know the negatives. THAT information is not out there.

Either way it seems like a bad idea. I'm doing a lift and wanted to keep my wheels to save money. I don't think I will have that option unless they make a 33/10.5/17 tire. Which I haven't been able to find that either. Still researching though.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from My Phone

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would think a 285/70/17 will rub at stock height. A 285/65/17 should be fine.....no rubbing. The 285/65/17 is the same diameter as stock Z71 265/70/17 tire. I'm running a 2"/3" drop on my Z71 and no tire rub issues with a 32" tire.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
What kind of lift?

If you are just going to crank the torsion bars you will promote rubbing on factory wheels as the wheel is drawn inward during torsion bar lifting.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4" Rancho with SMAXX 1.5" BL. I was going to go with spacers for the stock rims and bigger tires but it looks like I need new wheels. I am cranked 1.5" on the TB's now but I will remove that after this lift.

Sent from My Phone

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sell me your rims and buy new ones. Problem solved, lol. I'm looking for those and I travel to VA a lot. If those are Z71 rims? I have the old 2007 chrome rims and they are pretty beat up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If, more likely when, I buy new ones these ones are yours. Tires too if you need em.

Sent from My Phone

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for the link!!! I pm'd him and I will put up here what he says.

Sent from My Phone

·
Registered
486 Posts
If, more likely when, I buy new ones these ones are yours. Tires too if you need em.

Sent from My Phone
No, I don't want the tires. ( I'll take the tires with the rims and trash them) I need new tires and I'm looking at rims to go with them. If I buy new 15" tires to go with my rims then that's that. If I buy your rims, then I'll buy tires to go with them. Thanks. I need tires this year so let me know, Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tires have 11000 miles on them. 265/70/17. I'd hate to see you buy new tires. These are damn near brand new. If you REALLY don't want them I may try to find a new home for them.

On a side not I may not even be buying new wheels after looking at the Jval link. I really like them. I pm'd him and just waiting for a response. I'll let you know.

Sent from My Phone

·
Registered
486 Posts
If your tires only have 11,000 miles, they would be my new tires. Anyhow if you are interested in selling them let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JBT I am sorry but I did not end up buying new wheels. After talking with Jval he told me that he has been running 285/70/17 on his stock 17's for two years with no problems. So I went ahead and ordered the tires and will put them on these wheels. I also ordered my 4" Rancho lift and the wheel spacers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That's good. That's what you were looking to do in the first place. Show us pics when it's done.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah for sure. It wont get installed until Jul but I will take pictures of the materials as they come in. I'm super stoked!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ImageUploadedByAG Free1401396764.202010.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1401396772.720116.jpg

Came in yesterday! Woot woot!!

Sent from My Phone

1 - 20 of 21 Posts