Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have 33" tires on my truck and when i drive for about 20 miles a message comes up that says service TPM. and once i park and stop the truck and let it sit for a while it goes away. then when i get back in my truck and start driving it comes back on. i went through the owners manual and it said how to reset them but that didnt work. anybody know how to fix this??

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
so i have 33" tires on my truck and when i drive for about 20 miles a message comes up that says service TPM. and once i park and stop the truck and let it sit for a while it goes away. then when i get back in my truck and start driving it comes back on. i went through the owners manual and it said how to reset them but that didnt work. anybody know how to fix this??
I think Discount Tire can service them. I don't know if they can adjust them or if they'll just remove them.

BTW do you get any rubbing with those tires? what kind/size are they?

·
Registered
35 Posts
When its cold here and i park the truck overnight and go to start it in the morning to leave, i get the tire pressure low thing on the dash and my tires are flat spotted. I have the stock general tires and i dont like em at all. does anyone else have this problem

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
my extreme did that when it got cold, cold weather less air, just added 7-8 lbs to the tires and has been fine since

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Discount Tire can service them. I don't know if they can adjust them or if they'll just remove them.

BTW do you get any rubbing with those tires? what kind/size are they?

they are 305/70-16 Pro-Comp X-terrains on 16X8 micky thompson classic lock rims. i have a 3" body lift and my torsion bars were turned like 7 turns to level it and they rubbed if you turned really sharp. but now im adding a 4in skyjacker lift so they wont rub at all. i just wish i wasnt working so much so i could finish the damn lift! haha. but yeah 33's wont fit unless you have a lift..

also i dont really know how the TPM works so is there like a sensor on the truck and on the tire or rim or just the truck?? because if its on the tires as well as the truck then that might be why they are not reseting for me because my 33's never had any type of sensor put in. or is there like a fuse i can just pull for that?? haha

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
There's a sensor in the wheels that tells the computer how much pressure is in there.

If the sensors weren't placed into the new wheels, it's reading zero and that's why you have the warning message.

I believe the sensors are in the valves, but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
exactly, the sensor is the valve stem assembly it's self, you have to have the foctory stems.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
they are 305/70-16 Pro-Comp X-terrains on 16X8 micky thompson classic lock rims. i have a 3" body lift and my torsion bars were turned like 7 turns to level it and they rubbed if you turned really sharp. but now im adding a 4in skyjacker lift so they wont rub at all. i just wish i wasnt working so much so i could finish the damn lift! haha. but yeah 33's wont fit unless you have a lift..
DAMN thats badass man, yeah I had thought 33's wouldn't fit and didn't know anything about your truck so I asked. But I can't wait for the day I get to do that kind of work on mine.

also i dont really know how the TPM works so is there like a sensor on the truck and on the tire or rim or just the truck?? because if its on the tires as well as the truck then that might be why they are not reseting for me because my 33's never had any type of sensor put in. or is there like a fuse i can just pull for that?? haha
IIRC the way it works usually is there is a transmitter on the inner side of the wheel attached to the valve stem, and a receiver in the wheel hub. Anyways it *may* be on its own fuse but chances are its on the accessory one, I would check your manual.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
TPM sensors are the valve stems. Notice how they're aluminum instead of the traditional rubber valve stems? Any vehicle you see with aluminum valve stems youll know it has a TPM system.

And no theres no receiver on the hub or anything, it sends the signal to the passenger door module or BCM can't remember which I know on the full sizers its the passenger door module.

If it says "Service tire pressure warning system" then that means theres a problem not relating to actual tire pressure but an actual problem. Could be they forgot to install the sensors or they may have damaged one or more during the tire instal this is common too. I would contact the place where they installed your tires and let them know of the situation, tell them you want to take it into a dealer and if it turns out to be a damaged sensor then its on them. They'll wanna work with you when you tell em that.

·
Registered
466 Posts
so, are you guys buying new ones when you get wheels? if so how much are they? i'd like to keep my stocks for winter driving.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im A Asst Service Manager For A Local Gm Dealer And When The Tires Have Been Changed Or The Customer Has A Diferent Tire Pressure That They Like The Receiver Can Be Reprogrammed To Take Whatever Pressure You Want.
I Charge 35.00 To Do So Or Sometimes Free For Awesome Customers

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TPM sensors are the valve stems. Notice how they're aluminum instead of the traditional rubber valve stems? Any vehicle you see with aluminum valve stems youll know it has a TPM system.

And no theres no receiver on the hub or anything, it sends the signal to the passenger door module or BCM can't remember which I know on the full sizers its the passenger door module.

If it says "Service tire pressure warning system" then that means theres a problem not relating to actual tire pressure but an actual problem. Could be they forgot to install the sensors or they may have damaged one or more during the tire instal this is common too. I would contact the place where they installed your tires and let them know of the situation, tell them you want to take it into a dealer and if it turns out to be a damaged sensor then its on them. They'll wanna work with you when you tell em that.
i actually ordered my tires and rims as a combo from 4 wheel parts so they came mounted and balanced. so the sensors were never put in the wheels because i knew nothing about it. i do still have my stock tires and rims, so do i just take them out and have them installed in the new rims and then reset the TPS system to the correct air pressure??

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
my new wheels were going to come with them but I dont need them so I had them removed

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is there a way to disable the feature? I mean can you turn it off so you get no warning on the dash? Mine seem finicky and I could care less if they go in my new wheels. :hs:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts