Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought some 15x8 Unique 297s, that are the bees knees. Then some diligent members of Canada355 pointed out that my 205/75R15 General Tire Grabber AT2s might be too stretched for my intended application.

After lots of internet researching and getting more thoughts and opinions on it from Canada355, I just want a straight up answer.

Will my 205/75R15s safely fit on 15x8 wheels?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Manufacturers recommended wheel width 5.5"-7", your wheels will be a bit wide for them, you can put them on the wheel, but I would expect them to wear horribly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
......and IF u do any off roading (especially over rocks) that narrow tire would be susceptible to popping off that wide rim.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The best way to know for sure (even though you know 355nation will never lie to you like the other places you've read ;) ), look at the tire manufacturer site for the tire you wish to purchase. They will specify what wheel width fits the tire you want to use. You are looking at the 15" option so that's pretty easy. But the approved widths will change as the profile narrows. The wheel will get wider with a shorter profile.

I personally would not have 205/75 installed on an 8" wheel.

·
Registered
424 Posts
How does a "wheel get wider with a shorter profile"?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
How does a "wheel get wider with a shorter profile"?
Magic!
Kidding

haha it doesn't get wider (good one!)...but with less sidewall the profile stays more square when compared to like a 75 series that will have a lot more sidewall to stretch out.

I still probably wouldn't use a 40 series 205 tire on an 8" wheel. If the tire spec allowed so then I would.

From my research (in the past) a wider wheel can accommodate the more narrow tire when using a low profile tire.

If I were in the market for tires/wheels though, I'd be doing all the research before I gave away my money.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
sidewalls are not intended to be stretched period.....if your not concerned with your safety or others .....go for it.

Either get the right tires or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
424 Posts
......I still probably wouldn't use a 40 series 205 tire on an 8" wheel. If the tire spec allowed so then I would.

From my research (in the past) a wider wheel can accommodate the more narrow tire when using a low profile tire........
I'm totally confused.....these two statements sound 180 degrees opposite, no?

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,946 Posts
sidewalls are not intended to be stretched period.....if your not concerned with your safety or others .....go for it.

Needs quoted

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts

Quoted again for emphasis.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm totally confused.....these two statements sound 180 degrees opposite, no?
I think what he means is that he wouldn't use a 205/40 on an 8" rim unless the tire manufacturer says he's good to go.

Additionally, from my research on the interwebz, there's all kinds of ricers (no offense) stretching 195s, and 205s on wider tires. Apparently its a trend from Europe.

That being said, I talked to one tire shop today who might do it, but they want to see the condition of my tires first. I am pricing out some 235s right now though. I really don't want to get rid of these Grabbers though, just because they're less than a year old and still like new.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
They won't be new much longer due to poor surface contact.

But since the Civic's do it I guess that's good enough for me too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thinks I'm gonna hold off and get me some General Tire Altimax RT 235/70R15

·
Registered
509 Posts
picture of the setup?

·
Registered
424 Posts
275/60/15 would fit great on 8" rims, look bad ass, and be virtually identical in height as 235/70/15.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Yeah, 235's are even too narrow for an 8" wide wheel too. Again, look at the tire of choice and see what the recommended wheel widths are.
Z71 wrap a 265mm around a 7.0" wheel as reference. The Z85's 235 tires are wrapped on 6.5" wheels.

The 235 tire option is two inches shorter than the 265 option mentioned above, or 7.3%.

27.95 vs 29.99 (by the math -round the values accordingly).

·
Registered
424 Posts
All twelve 235/70/15 tires listed at TireRack.com say a 8" wide rim is fine (within the acceptable width range)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So now the question becomes- can i still drop 3/3 with a 15x8, +6 offset 4.75 backspace wearing some 235/70R15?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
235s on a 8" rim is good to go

·
Registered
504 Posts
i run a 215/45/17 on a 8.5" wheel. drive it kind of hard. however this is not a truck it is a vw golf. it has a little stretch. and i run a 225/45/17 on a 9.5" wheel. as stated above i would not use yours for off roading. could end badly.

this is the amount of stretch on my golf. 17x8.5 front 17x9.5 rear.

closer of ther rear.

check this site out. Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts