Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 17x9 xd hoss 18mm offset with 5.71 backspacing for my 2012 4x4 z85. I know i have to get fender flares but i am wondering what tires i should run with these wheels.

I currently have stock 16x6.5 with 41mm offset and 5.4 backspacing with 235/75r16s.

I was thinking about either 265/70r17 or 265/65r17. I don't have a lift right now and i don't plan on getting one any time soon but i was wondering if anyone could help me out with this please!!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
This is a tough one. You've got such a wide rim that you need a wide tire. But I don't think you'll get a 265/70-17 under the stock height Z85 very well. It may fit, but I think it will 'look' crammed in there. I have virtually the same wheel size and my truck was level. That tire looked like I forgot what I was doing when I bought such a big tire. 1.5" of rear lift, and level and now it looks more acceptable. I drive a 2008 which is slightly lower.

Keep in mine you may rub during steering with that backspace.

If I could do it over again, I would have just gone with 31's. Too much power robbing and loss of mileage.

My suggestion is probably the 65 series tire. It will fit the wide wheel better and is a little shorter. Going to rob less power. Keep your speedometer closer and cost you less at the pump. And it may look better under the factory height front end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah this is def a tough one haha but thanks for the reply

My biggest concern is rubbing at full lock like you said but worst comes to worst I would get a leveling kit.

I work for my family's gmc dealership and talked to one of the salesmen that previously owned a canyon and he said that the 70 would definitely rub.

I'll go with the 65 for now and see how it goes from there

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Leveling won't prevent rubbing in case that is where you were going with that idea. It MAY make it worse. Leveling, you may be okay. Torsion bar lifting pulls the wheels inward further reducing clearance. The offset is what contributes to the rubbing (in case you aren't aware)

With the 65 series, you're actually saving yourself an inch of diameter. Same width of course.

Not sure if this picture helps This is the front clearance I had on mine before lifting beyond level.
The picture here shows 1.5" rear lift shackles when the front was still sitting level to stock height. Your truck will not have this much clearance.
Picture contrast was adjusted to help show the fender shadows.

Tires are 265/75-16 (equivalent to 70-17).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm interesting ... I actually like the way that looks.. And you said that didn't rub right?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I do not rub, my backspace is about 5.2" though, not 5.7 (I poke 1/2" further than what you should).

I do not remember how much I would have lifted to make it level at that time? It's like an inch. If you go with a 65 series, I bet the appearance will be similar. My point is I have lifted like an inch, but the tire you may go with is an inch smaller.

Split the difference and find a 31x10.5 in the 17" if you can. It's marginally wider and taller (taller based on math only).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate all the help man .. Hopefully this works out and I'll have a pic posted shortly with the results

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've decided to go with 255/65/17 general grabber at2 .. The approved rim width is 7"-9" and they are almost exactly the same size as my stock setup .. We'll see how this goes haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts