Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock height xtreme, going to install my 18s back on it (tired of screwing with the 20s) what size tires is everyone running on these and why? Im looking between a 255 45 and a 245 45 on my stock 18s i have decided i will run the nitto nt555

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
245/45-18 were a nice ride on mine.

I just put 255/40-17 Nitto NT555 on about a month ago and love them. The traction whether wet or dry is outstanding.

I got all 4 of mine from Discount Tire Direct's eBay store. $396 for all 4 w/ free shipping

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
I went with BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS in the factory size and speed rating. The Nitto's a fine performance tire, but we have snow and ice here in Pennsylvania so I needed an all season tire.

I also considered the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, but went with BFG's based on past experience and a rebate. I like a smooth sidewall and really hate any tire with ribs or groove in the sidewall. The ribs make applying tire dressing a pain in the ass.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
I went with BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS in the factory size and speed rating. The Nitto's a fine performance tire, but we have snow and ice here in Pennsylvania so I needed an all season tire.

I also considered the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, but went with BFG's based on past experience and a rebate. I like a smooth sidewall and really hate any tire with ribs or groove in the sidewall. The ribs make applying tire dressing a pain in the ass.
A/S 3 has to be a great tire! I used to run A/S plus on my S-10 and had great traction in all weather conditions compared to any other all season tire I had tried. Costco has $70 instant rebate a few times a year on Michelin tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im thinking hard on the 255 45 nitto 555. I was really concerend on fitment, i do not want a tire that will rub but want a little more tire than the 235 50

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I'm on about 4.5/6 drop with 255s and no rubbing on mine at all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plus i am a member of our local fire dept. and this is my responce truck as well, i need a tire that can handle the occasional 130 mph run on the highway lights and sirens

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Will a 2006 xtreme with a 3.5L even go 130mph?

Now I have all kinds of respect for fire fighters but this sounds totally reckless.

I not sure what the laws are in Kentucky, but here in Pennsylvania blue lights are for the responders who are not an officer and they can only go the speed limit and not more. It is only a courtesy light and no one has to pull over for you. Officers can run a red light with a siren and can go over the speed limit by 5 miles if they can safely do it.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Will a 2006 xtreme with a 3.5L even go 130mph?
I had mine to 137mph back in 2006........and I have way more mods and better tune now

Yes, they will!

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
I've gone 122, damn people wouldn't get out of my way to go faster. I'm sure if I had lights and sirens it wouldn't be a problem. :shrug:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Law in ky states "with due regard to public saftey" and ky law also requires you to pull over for emergency personnel. And i have been known to let it rip when we have a wreck with entrapment, or working structure fire with unknown occupent. I have taken many high speed driving corses, a requirement by our dept. for first responders.
And i have gotten my truck to 140

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Yup, Uncle Sam has paid for me to attend a few of the LEO type driving courses......ramming car, pits, threshold braking the whole nine to include operating while discharging a firearm
Now that sounds like fun. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
Yup, Uncle Sam has paid for me to attend a few of the LEO type driving courses......ramming car, pits, threshold braking the whole nine to include operating while discharging a firearm
that would be switching from defensive pistols to offensive pistols. lol

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
i run 245x45x18 front, and 255x45x18 rear. i tried BFG 275x35x18 on the rear,
but it was to much tire for my 3:42's, they would be fine with 3:73 or 4:11
gears. also Dunlop makes a real snow tire in 245x45x18, if anybody needs them.

Hey Rich, we put a pair of those BFG tires 255x45x16 on the rear of Daves S-10
and he really likes them with his 3:73's

I just put a pair of Nitto 555 extremes on the rear, getting ready to go to the track.
in the next week or two. there 255x45x18 treadwear 200. i hope there soft enough
to get good traction. next step down is drag radials.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
to heavy and much drag for quick acceleration at the track.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
yea, they are ok for street

1 - 20 of 26 Posts