Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wrado:
My transfer case is dying, and it seems to get worse every time I drive the truck.
Started when it got engaged somehow by accident before a road trip and my gf drove the truck on texas highways in 4-hi for a few hundred miles. When we got home she complained that the steering was heavy and the truck was low on power. Turns out it was just in 4wd.
The next week I drove the truck around town and I thought a wheel bearing was gone, so i pussyfooted it home and when I got under the front, I spun the wheel with my hand and noticed that the input shaft for the transfer case had been engaged, but after a few revolutions, it seemed to pop out, and there was a gravel noise. It only made the noise at low speeds so I'm guessing that once it got up to speed the gears would dissengage, and stop making that noise.
Something's broke in there and I need to rebuild it, which isn't a problem for me.
I was thinking about dropping the transfer case out and driving it 2wd for a while until I can rebuild the transfer case. The only issue I see is that maybe the yoke connecting the transmission to the transfer case input shaft may or may not stay in the transmission.
Couldn't find any threads about this so I decided to make one.
It looks like a pretty simple job. Just disassemble the knuckle(s) and pull the axle shafts, and the input shaft, then drop the case out and tie the wires up out of the way. This will also give me an excuse to fix an abs ring that I've been putting off.
Anyone with experience regarding this matter, please feel free to chime in.

·
Factory Fresh
1,898 Posts
Unfortunately pull your front axles is not a good idea. Your hubs are being held together by the axles. If you take them out and drive without them your hubs will not last and may come apart. I learned this the hard way on a blazer i had. i drove maybe 10 minutes home with out the axle in it and when i got out i noticed it was leaning in pretty badly. I might be reading the other part wrong but for you to drive without the t case. You would obviously need a longer drive shaft but also the out put shaft would need to be changed and to do that i believe you have to tear down the transmission to do that. Now about pulling the front drive shaft im not sure if that will buy you any time or not. Cause i dont know if the t case still being attached to the trans will still make the internals spin or not.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
How many miles on your truck/drivetrain? Driving a few hundred miles in 4-hi shouldn't cause a transfer case fail...??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately pull your front axles is not a good idea. Your hubs are being held together by the axles. If you take them out and drive without them your hubs will not last and may come apart. I learned this the hard way on a blazer i had. i drove maybe 10 minutes home with out the axle in it and when i got out i noticed it was leaning in pretty badly. I might be reading the other part wrong but for you to drive without the t case. You would obviously need a longer drive shaft but also the out put shaft would need to be changed and to do that i believe you have to tear down the transmission to do that. Now about pulling the front drive shaft im not sure if that will buy you any time or not. Cause i dont know if the t case still being attached to the trans will still make the internals spin or not.
Ah, I guess that's the difference between a spindle and a knuckle. That makes since. Good to know before I load the truck down trying to move and the front end falls out.
The noise is coming from the driver side of the diff near the electric motor, so I'm guessing something failed in that area and caused the diff to engage periodically.
I was worried about the trans after taking the diff out b/c I wasn't sure if the forward facing output shaft would spin and/or fall out of the trans without the front diff in place to hold that shaft into the transmission.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles on your truck/drivetrain? Driving a few hundred miles in 4-hi shouldn't cause a transfer case fail...??
I got the truck with 80k on it and now it has 160k. Previous owner was a fleet company so I have no idea how it was driven before, but the engine runs like a champ. There's a little ping sometimes when I drop the clutch wrong, but other than that and this 4wd noise it's a solid truck. Electrically, I've had to override passlock, and an abs ring has failed, along with a tpms sensor.
I haven't even considered servicing the 4wd b/c I've never had any trouble out of it and I use it maybe 5-10 times a year.
For all I know it dropped a seal and I've been driving around without fluid. I only look at it when I'm changing oil.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Ah, I guess that's the difference between a spindle and a knuckle. That makes since. Good to know before I load the truck down trying to move and the front end falls out.
The noise is coming from the driver side of the diff near the electric motor, so I'm guessing something failed in that area and caused the diff to engage periodically.
I was worried about the trans after taking the diff out b/c I wasn't sure if the forward facing output shaft would spin and/or fall out of the trans without the front diff in place to hold that shaft into the transmission.
That part seems extra confusing to me for some reason.
I either can't follow along with you jumping from part to part, or if there are wrong words used here.
Output shaft?
removing diff?
hold a shaft into the transmission?

Is it possible to just remove the electric control from the transfer case or differential (not sure where the connection is) if the 4x4 is engaging on its own?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That part seems extra confusing to me for some reason.
I either can't follow along with you jumping from part to part, or if there are wrong words used here.
Output shaft?
removing diff?
hold a shaft into the transmission?

Is it possible to just remove the electric control from the transfer case or differential (not sure where the connection is) if the 4x4 is engaging on its own?
I'm gonna go take some pictures.
I can't do this anyway because of the knuckles falling apart, but I'm probably using the wrong words.
I'll be back after pics and >9k hours in ms paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts