Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Morning Nation! (TL;DR at bottom)

Well, like numerous others, I too, found myself stalking this forum for a multitude of weeks. Gathering as much knowledge as I could and preparing myself for the new life ahead of me. But isn't that what we do when we are unfamiliar and unsure about new places? You see, it was destiny that brought me here, and so the story goes...

It was August 24th, 2014. I believe it was a Saturday. It was my son's 4th birthday and I surprised him with a trip to put-putt (one of the most magical places ever(...aside from incredible pizza...)). It was a blast and a extremely fulfilling day. I would say we both enjoyed the go-carts the most. Even though he couldn't steer yet, there was a convenient steering wheel on his side as well, as to pretend he was a professional drift racer. After owning everyone else on the track and rubbing it in their faces, it was time to cool off. you know where this is headed... that's right.. Bumper boats. We were Team Explosion, what better name for a boat in water.. but that's what the kid picked. Any who, this is where everyone we previously owned took this, supposedly, free-for-all death match with water cannons attached to engine-powered inner tubes, and sought revenge. We mistook their previous failure at the go-cart track as weakness. We were surrounded It was almost as looking at a target, and we were the center bull's-eye. My son looks up to me ever so slowly and says softly "Dad, are they going to sink us...?". His fearful eyes struck at my soul. He looked to me for an answer.. and I wasn't sure I had one. Everyone surrounding us was chanting of sorts for our failure. I looked at him with confidence and leaned over cautiously as to not make too sudden of a movement, and whispered in his ear. He looked up at me and nodded. A firm smirk drew across one side of his innocent yet almost instantly demonic face. We looked up one last time, this would be our final stand. Without breaking glance from the enemy, he proclaims "Lets do this." In which I responded to him, and our enemies "THIS... IS... SPARRRTTAAAAA!!!!" The next few seconds were but a blur. I cut the wheel as hard and as fast as I could and floored it. My son mans the cannons and pulls both triggers, shaking violently from the recoil, he barely holds on, but manages it. As we sit spinning harshly at 2.5 mph, the world spinning, our cannons shooting a continuous line of fire, you could here the screams start to arise over the 5hp motor. We were winning, the enemy scattered and we were no longer surrounded. Then the unimaginable happened. Our motor dies. We were out of gas. Our cannons slow to a few mere pathetic squirts. The enemy waists no time and bombards us attacking from every side. There was nothing we could do. The water was cold, and our screams were colder. The whistle blows and we were defeated. It was a good fight.

The day was over, and it was time to leave. Mom comes by and picks him up and I hug him one last time and tell him happy birthday. I give him a peck on the forehead and mess his hair up as dads do. I see them off and head over to my truck. A 92 s10 single cab with the works. It was a gorgeous truck, even though it was still lacking on the paint side. Built from the ground up, I had done all of the work myself, and I was proud of it. 4/5 static and bag ready I was I only waiting on the mounts to arrive before paint. As I cranked up to leave I sat back and revisited some memories I just made. I looked up at some light gleaming through some tree leaves blowing in a cool breeze. The light was warm and gentle.

I pulled out of the lot and headed back home. It was probably around 8pm and listening to my favorite weekend radio station. As I was travelling down the only 1 lane highway that leads back to m house (I live in the country, nothing but fields), I saw lights swerve into my lane mere seconds before it would have passed me. We were on a short section of bridge that did not have shoulders or places to move to. I was trapped and there was nowhere for me to swerve or go. I was hit head on. For an instance I saw my front end crumple like a bad written paper, my face smashed the steering wheel. Glass exploded like confetti at a surprise birthday party and rained onto my skin like sharp needles fired form a shotgun. It happened all too fast. My truck, admirably, still barely running, the lights dimmed almost as it was breathing, holding on to its last few breaths. As the radiator covered the area with steam, I cut the engine not allowing her to pass slowly and painfully. My face was numb and I couldn't move my arm. Instincts kicked in and I was immediately worried about the other persons involved. It was dark, preventing me from assessing myself. Not concerned about myself because, hey I'm a man right? its just a scratch, I forced the door open with my shoulder, trying not to move my left arm, at all if possible. I groaned in a bit of stiff pain as I stumbled out of the cab. I looked down at my arm, lacerations across the top of my forearm, it was 3x the normal size, blood running down dripping on to my favorite shoes. Yeah, its broken, I new I still had some adrenaline flowing so I took that time to check on the other people, they seemed to be doing well considering the situation, It didn't look like any major injuries. After checking that they didn't need immediate attention and they could help themselves, I new I could call dispatch and let them know our location and situation.

At this time, people were starting to pull over to help out in anyway possible. I took this opportunity to have a stranger reach into my front pocket to retrieve my phone. Without hesitation my new bro had my back. People that pulled over checked and re checked on the status of people involved. It's still heartwarming to know that people put their own lives on hold and insert themselves into unknown situations when it is needed most. Ambulances and police cars arrived in a short amount of time and took the situation into their own control. Although everyone who stopped was appreciated to an immense amount, I was thankful they had arrived. Being placed on a spine board, IV installed into my good arm, and watching my totaled dime dragged onto a flatbed was not my happiest moment, but I was thankful for my condition and glad to be taken care of.

Inside the ambulance I tried to control my breathing, I was going into shock. The emergency responder informed me I was going to be fine, and I knew that I was. He had me under control and talking to him. By this time, the adrenaline was wearing off and the pain started to climb, though still manageable. Like an archeologist finding a rare new fossil, the responder used what I would say is the same tool, and as delicately as possible, started to dust my face to rid the glass. After getting to the hospital, the rest of the night from this point on dragged out. every minute was 10 minutes. but after some x-rays and a couple stiches on my forearm, I found out nothing was actually broken and was just swollen beyond belief, though it still felt as it was. I was back to work on Wednesday.

TL;DR Smashed Dime/Bought Colly

I now own a black 05 ZQ8 crew cab i5 Colorado (always been my dream truck) and I love it as much as I thought I would. My boy loves it and tells all his friends about it haha.
I live 30 minutes outside Memphis, TN and look forward to some possible meets involving other members of 355Nation.

So far the mods completed are in my sig.
Thanks for reading if you made it this far lol. I wanted to make my introduction unique.
Have a Blessed day everyone! Hopefully I made a fun read.
:355group:

Attachments

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's one of the best new member stories that I've read in a long time. Glad to hear you survived the ordeal. Good luck with your Colorado. Loved to see some pics if you got them.
YASSS that's what I was going for lol, I'll have some pics soon. I'm surprised actually that I do not have any currently.. I'm at work and don't get signal inside. :(

Edit* your truck is one of my favorites. that thing is sexatious.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
I personally enjoyed the story; the ups, the downs. Wow, what a roller coaster.

Also, very vivid and descriptive. You have a talent at writing it seems.

Anyway, welcome to the site. There's at least one or two members in Memphis but the most of us are around the Nashville area. Be sure to look up the member groups and join the MidSouth355 to keep up with what meets we have going on in the area.

Once the weather warms up, I plan to host a mod meet at my place (something I do every year) as well as try and set something up one Saturday for a cars and coffee showing down in Nashville.

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I personally enjoyed the story; the ups, the downs. Wow, what a roller coaster.

Also, very vivid and descriptive. You have a talent at writing it seems.

Anyway, welcome to the site. There's at least one or two members in Memphis but the most of us are around the Nashville area. Be sure to look up the member groups and join the MidSouth355 to keep up with what meets we have going on in the area.

Once the weather warms up, I plan to host a mod meet at my place (something I do every year) as well as try and set something up one Saturday for a cars and coffee showing down in Nashville.
I actually drove to Murphreesboro(sp) to pick up the truck, lol. I requested into the midsouth 355 group too. Im sure there wont be anything soon, but I hope to keep an eye on it! I look forward to some meets and enjoy a good cup of coffee.

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:welcome2:
Thanks Kraco, I am enjoying this community and should be representing the nation on my truck soon. I'm curious as to how you guys make these banners?

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Howdy & welcome!! :welcome:

There's some great members over your way --- a few I can call real friends!

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howdy & welcome!! :welcome:

There's some great members over your way --- a few I can call real friends!
I cant wait to get some Aesthetics done on the truck. I have so much to learn, and the people here help out quite a bit. I appreciate the warm welcome. Thanks xseler

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
LOL... You make the rest of us newbies look bad with your awesome intro!

So what are the plans for your new 355?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Very nice intro. Glad to see everyone survived. I lost my best friend in 1993 due to a head on collision. That kind of crash is no joke. So welcome to the nation and can't wait to see some mods come about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL... You make the rest of us newbies look bad with your awesome intro!

So what are the plans for your new 355?

Plans are mainly everything on the cheap/free mods page lol then a tune. I'd like a subtle drop and at least a front bumper cover, those things are sweet! Maybe a roll pan.. My dime started out the same.. So probz more

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 34 Posts