Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on dezert rangers...seems like alot of the ranger guys are running 9-10" of travel using torsion bars, uca's and lift spindle. seems like a very real possibility for us 2wd z-71 guys....very interested in this. gunna be lifting soon and will def be talking to my shop about this....heres the link

Torsoin bar prerunner - DezertRangers.com

·
Registered
660 Posts
torsion bars arent as bad as people think. if you get a kickass uniball upper arm and a nice shock you can rip in the dezert. get someone one dezert rangers to make you an upper arm and bolt in a nicer valvable shock thats a lil longer and get to rippin

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
torsion bars arent as bad as people think. if you get a kickass uniball upper arm and a nice shock you can rip in the dezert. get someone one dezert rangers to make you an upper arm and bolt in a nicer valvable shock thats a lil longer and get to rippin
ya from doing more research there are a good amount of race teams that use a torsion bar set up. if i could get 9 to 10" of travel on tb's that would be great. granted its mostly down travel but hey u can still use ur suspension setup rather then convert to coils. im wondering if there are any uca's that could work with our trucks with minor to little modding...i think this is a huge break through for us haha and i do agree that torsion bar set ups do get a bad rap. i plan on looking into this, lift, uca's and a sick shock set up should do the trick. 9-10" isnt bad considering the brenthel kit is 12" ( even though the brenthel kit is most likely a ton more functional overall)

·
Registered
660 Posts
ive done some checking and didnt find any arms that could be made to fit. make a thread on dezert rangers and alot of guys will make them for you. probably in the 500 dollar range. hit up nodnarb on there he does kick ass work and will make them perfect for you. then jus get shocks and your rollin

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks bro...hey bennet im still trying to understand how exactly the uca's work. how do they provide more travel? is it because they woud be longer with more room to move up and down? ya im gunna join that forum and look into it for sure...its as ismple as that dixon bros racing uses torsion bars on there race trucks...all they have is arms, tb's and shocks

·
Registered
660 Posts
the uni ball can articulate more then a balljoint. a stock baljoint gets we'll say 20* of movement(not a reall number jus an example) and a uniball will get 33* the first thing that binds in stock suspension is the upper balljoint cus it jus doesnt have enough travel. once you replace it the next thing that will limit is is the shock. then the next thing is the steering.

make sense? if you uniball the upper arm, new shock, then somewhere down the road heim joint steering then i can almost promise 10 inches of travel...maybe 11

·
Registered
660 Posts
im tellin ya. hit up nodnarb for the arms. foa shocks are very reasonably priced. like 300 bucks for some kick ass tunable resivoir shocks, and then spend another 200 on steering and go haul some ass

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would they need my truck to make the arms? or could he just do them...heres another question.... could i just get a lift spindle or do i have to get the kit in order to drop the tbs a lil cus id rether get the spindles rather spend the money on a full kit...especially so i can get the arms with some nasty shcks ahha

·
Registered
660 Posts
you would only "need" a lift spindle if you wanna go higher. Do they even make a lift spindle for the 2WD Z-71? if you had a lif spindle and could lower the height a lil it would balance the travel more instead of it all being one direction. but no its not necessary. ARM's Shocks then steering.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya most of the lift kits come with spindle...def wanna little more lift, travel is more important for me but in a perfect world a few more inches in the front would be great...i know i could get the cst lift spindles by themselves, i just dont want to buy a full kit especially if im gunna get new uca's and invest in some good shocks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys thanks for my theory being confirmed, one option is the H3 front end conversion gives much longer travel, Michigan Metal works makes uniball/heim upper arms bit pricey but should be worth it think they also do heim outer tie rod ends as well, for shocks I've been looking at some 2500hd fox 2.0 shocks from what I've researched should give me lots of travel basically only have to do a new shock hoop to install them keeping it basic

1 - 13 of 13 Posts