Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, new to the page and very new owner of a beautiful black 2009 canyon V8 with off road package, just ordered the rancho 4" lift and a brand new set of 285/65/18 nitto trail grapplers on 18x9 moto metal mo962 black. i want to have a good stance and i keep seeing all these bad ass trucks w torsion crank and keys... what are they? will i need them ? and where is the best place to buy them? also will i need to do an add a leaf?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Your truck has torsion keys. A torsion key is a device used to apply twisting force to the torsion bar which in turns rotates the Lower Control Arm.

Don't crank your keys until you know if you need to. A compromised quality of ride is the result of torsion bar lifting. Your Rancho lift is a better option, and you are already paying for the purchase, installation and alignment, no need to mess up that by raising it even more.

If you want to though, you can easily crank your torsion bars then get another alignment.

Sub frame lifting (Rancho) and torsion bars both lift the truck, but they are entirely different types of lifts.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive seen some trucks on here with only the 4" lift and i think i would like to go higher. what are some other options to raise it besides body lift?

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
No other option... crank your TB keys if you want to go higher in the front. Do a spring over axle conversion for the rear

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks guys! so do you guys have any other good advice for my build, anything helps...
i have an '87 short box, 454 with nitrous 12" lift on 38's, so the ifs and fuel injection stuff is real new to me.. i would like to increase power as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
For power increase... the basic stuff, intake, headers/exhaust, e fan, ported throttle body, finish it off with a pcm tune. Unless you want to get into more $$$ with performance cams, ect...

Only other lift option is body lift or go all out and do a solid front axle swap.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just a few days ago i got a quote for a 220/220 cam swap and tuner, came to 3200 for everything, is that a fair price? how much power should i expect from this?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Depending on how much higher you go, you'll have to lower your differential a little to prevent premature axle wear. It can potentially change your ball joint geometry, but unless you're looking at going several inches taller, that won't be a concern.

Then the ride will become more harsh too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts