Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local Chevy dealer parts counter in search of a tube of touch up paint for my nearly new '18 Colorado. The color name specified on the original window sticker spec sheet was "Kinetic Blue". The parts guy said he can't order that way, as paint color is coded into the VIN. We went to the truck, recorded the VIN, and I checked his number as correct. The not cheap prepaid little tube of paint (and clear coat) arrived a few days later. It did not have the color name on the tube, and was not even close to the original paint color. I was only touching up a parking lot door ding, but the color was decidedly darker. The area is so small, I just decided ,"it's a truck", so forget it.

I've subsequently been told paint matching isn't all numbers and duplicating the original isn't an exact science. Now I'm going after a Leer or other brand cap for my truck bed. It will be ordered custom painted the same as my original truck color. We shall see....

·
Super Moderator
3,572 Posts
Snugtop matched my paint perfectly. Just had to give them the paint code

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
I went to my local Chevy dealer parts counter in search of a tube of touch up paint for my nearly new '18 Colorado. The color name specified on the original window sticker spec sheet was "Kinetic Blue". The parts guy said he can't order that way, as paint color is coded into the VIN. We went to the truck, recorded the VIN, and I checked his number as correct. The not cheap prepaid little tube of paint (and clear coat) arrived a few days later. It did not have the color name on the tube, and was not even close to the original paint color. I was only touching up a parking lot door ding, but the color was decidedly darker. The area is so small, I just decided ,"it's a truck", so forget it.

I've subsequently been told paint matching isn't all numbers and duplicating the original isn't an exact science. Now I'm going after a Leer or other brand cap for my truck bed. It will be ordered custom painted the same as my original truck color. We shall see....
I had the same issue. I have a 2017 Camaro in Hyper Blue Metallic, which is the same as the Kinetic Blue. I got hit with a rock out of a dump truck which left a gash in my front fascia. I ordered the touch up paint pen and when applied it, completely darker blue. It matches perfectly when you look at it from the side, but straight on its not even close.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same issue. I have a 2017 Camaro in Hyper Blue Metallic, which is the same as the Kinetic Blue. I got hit with a rock out of a dump truck which left a gash in my front fascia. I ordered the touch up paint pen and when applied it, completely darker blue. It matches perfectly when you look at it from the side, but straight on its not even close.
Thanks for replying to my post. No real problem to solve here, but it is interesing that you had a similar experience. I think in your comment is buried a truth that these metallic colors are always going to be a little different appearing. I can't wait to find out what my color matched bed camper/cap turns out like. (Not ordered yet... still having a personal debate about what manufacturer, and style to choose.)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Yeah metallics and candy paints are some of the hardest to match. They look amazing but repair work is harder that’s for sure

·
Registered
40 Posts
Metalics and Pearls appear darker when brushed on vs spraying it due to the thickness of the paint applied. I have added a little silver to the color to attain a better match but be careful and do a practice sample before applying it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
How about ordering a (try to get it 4 free?) touch up paint when you order you cap. Then if the cap matches the truck the touch-up will too.
Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I"m feeling a little left out on this one. So the colors for the Colorado - like most car colors are pretty cool sounding colors like "Dark Cherry Red Metallic". Sound pretty cool. You know what the name of the color for my truck is? YELLOW. That's all. Just YELLOW.

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
I"m feeling a little left out on this one. So the colors for the Colorado - like most car colors are pretty cool sounding colors like "Dark Cherry Red Metallic". Sound pretty cool. You know what the name of the color for my truck is? YELLOW. That's all. Just YELLOW.
its called "Non metallic boring yellow" :mc3:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most likely the problem is not with the paint but how it is applied. There is no way you can repaint a factory paint job and get it as thin as the factory did. This added thickness will make the paint look darker. I would go to my local NAPA paint jobber and ask him to mix you up some touch up paint. He can even add some UV stabilizer so that you do not need to take the extra step of clear coating. Ask him if he can re tint it if it is too dark. It will be cheaper and you will have more flexibility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It takes a confidant man to drive a YELLOW truck. You never have a problem locating it in the parking lot when you come out of Home Depot. We can always have the marketing guys romanticize your paint color. How about getting permission to use "Some Beach Somewhere" Yellow?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I had been in this situation in the past, at the end the best paint I can get is from the PPG dealers, just go there, they will look for the Codes on the glove box and you will get the exact paint for your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
jrbuck2 - Not only is it yellow, the bowtie on the front is painted yellow with a smiley face nicely hand painted in the middle of the bowtie! I'm pretty sure a petite young lady must have driven it before I got it. very clean and the seats showed no wear at all. Still very firm. My first project was going to be painting the bowtie black and cover up the smiley face, but my then 2 year old granddaughter saw the smiley face and said: "This is Pop's Happy Truck!" So, it is still there! How can you paint over the smiley face when that makes it your Happy Truck?!? The truck has 210,000 miles on it now and she is 4, but I've promised her it will be hers when she turns 16. So, you'll be seeing me on this site a lot since I've got to keep this truck going for another 12 years! It'll be 26 years old then and based on current mileage, it will have 389,000 miles on it! I'll probably be driving less miles by then, but who knows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts