Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had this discussion with one of my guys at work whos a car nut too.

The towing conversation came up and I have no real way to recover my truck in the event of break down(needing towing to a shop/home) and then if I were to slid off the road.....I'm low and have no nothing to use as a tow point without doing more damage.

So in keeping with the look I have I need something, but I not looking for that off road lifted look. On top of that I have the lower grill insert thats been powder coated, I love the look but need some thing functional.

I have been thinking of something along the lines of the road racing or auto cross recovery tow hooks.

There are many options out there, so I need to take some measurements and go from there. Just looking some feedback from you guys.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And no, I will not be using yellow.

I will be going with either red or black to keep the theme I have going.

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Looks pretty cool little spoon maybe Ron and SSK could whip up something nice

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
sounds like a really good idea. also it wouldnt take away from the truck at all. mounting is my question...

i would be interested as well. subscribed.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I will take some measurements and compare with whats out there.

I know for certain I want them attached to the frame in a similar manner to the factory ones.

·
SOLD!!!
4,508 Posts
Just make a removable tow hook. Similiar to this....

Mount a threaded bracket out of sight and have an access point. Make the threaded hook part long enough as to clear any body parts to keep them from getting damaged when towing. So if and when needed to be towed, slip the hook part through your access point and thread into the hidden receptacle. I'd be sure to make it at least 3/4-1" for strength. And as far as a threaded receptacle goes, you could either use some kind of threaded tube or a big ass nut welded to a frame point. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
sounds good but personally i would want something more permanent. wouldnt want to have to lay in muck, mud, snow, cow crap, etc. to thread a bolt. id rather step in it than lay in it. just hook and go. even if it is sticking out permanently you can still make it look nice.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeff I was thinking something along that, but stuck on how to add the mounting point. I think if done right it will actually look pretty cool.

So it a matter of something removeable or something static/permanate

·
Registered
717 Posts
How about something like a 2 inch square receiver? Put a cover on it that blends with your theme and then a receiver mounted shackle you can put in if you need it.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No hitch on my truck though

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I like the idea Jer, definitely interested in where you go with this. Could possibly be an idea for a new product for the low 355's.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Forrest you know I try to keep it fresh!

I like what Paul and Derek have done, but I want something alittle more "race" inspired. But done get "race" confused with "rice"!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I machined a few shackle mounts for the bronco out of 1x2x12 steel. Drilled a 1" hole for a shackle, that way it's out of the way and barely visible (Im going to put them on the bottom of the frame for the colly) and attaching a shackle takes just as long as attaching a tow rope.
Best of all it's way overbuilt, just the way I like it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts