Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm moving this summer and am trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I have an 07 crew cab z71 with the 3.7. Tune from lime swap, efan, large trans cooler, oil cooler, cai, No cats exhaust into super 44.

I am wondering what your thoughts on pulling a 6x12 enclosed trailer (empty weight of 1300lbs) with approximately 1200lbs of furniture and what not in it (some stuff can be shifted to the truck to distribute the Weight).

I am more than comfortable with towing and am not inexperienced, but this is a long hard drive. 2700km with about 1000km of very hilly or mountainous terrain (going from Manitoba to Vancouver island).

I have a stabilizer hitch with proper ratings. Truck has hidden hitch and a 10000lb reciever.

Need more info? Just ask.

Just wanna know if this is safe, and or, going to wreck my truck.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
It's going to be a load, and a slower go but sounds fine to me to tow 2500lbs. The mountains will kill you and you'll be manually shifting of course. Just be smart.

It may be a smart idea to change oil once you've reached your destination. It may be more contaminated than usual over the distance with your heavy foot climbing grades. Expect it to be darker.

I don't know if I would do it personally but I'm different. In addition, my truck would labor way too much in current form (one reason why I would not tow 2500lbs).

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You've pretty much rigged everything IRT factory towing package so protection factors are in check. That's alot of weight for I5/3.7L, but we pulled a converted pick-up bed trailer loaded to gills with my 1985 Dodge Laser (4-cyl stock) back in the day and the car ran fine for another 4-yrs until we sold it (no short/long term effects). Just monitor temps, take routine stops and you're probably fine. Safe journeys!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How hard is it to add a transmission temp transmitter to these trucks that I could use on torque? Or even just a guage would suffice.

I've pulled about double this weight with this truck and it handled it fine, but it was only 300km or so with a few large hills.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The only difference between towing short vs long is heat buildup and engine longevity. One tow isn't going to decrease engine longevity.

You've towed double the weight before, no reason you can't complete this tow then.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I recently towed a car 500 miles across Oregon with my turbo 4 cylinder Colorado. It was a VW Bug (1800 lbs) plus a motorcycle in my bed (250lbs), plus a bunch of other stuff (300lbs). I pulled hills that were miles long in 5th gear at 2100rpm running 10lbs boost the whole time.

Don't even worry about the engine. There's no way you're going to hurt it. Just keep the transmission cool and everything will be fine.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Dude, whit all the equipment you mentioned and a responsible driving manners... your truck can do that even for living!

Hit the road Yo!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yea the engine will make it, but the brakes are what you have to worry about going down hill. If those are worn down and fail, you better hold on, clinch your ass, and pray.

·
Registered
641 Posts
What you're looking to tow is less than half of the rated towing capacity. 2500lbs really isn't much. There will be times that you'll forget it's back there.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Make sure your brakes are good. The only thing you really have to worry about is not overheating the trans.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info guys. Trailer has brakes and the trucks wired for it. Truck has new brakes all around. Trans is what I'm worried about. But I think if I take it easy I should be fine. I have a very large trans cooler on there.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
you need super servos and if you get the 50%od servo you can tow in d

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
Just playing devils advocate here.

Do you already own the trailer or will you be renting it? Reason I'm asking is have you compared the cost of renting the trailer vs renting a truck and car dolly /or/ trailer combo when you add in the added components you'll need and the additional wear and tear on your truck?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Already own it and all the components.

To rent a uhaul plus tow my truck is going to cost not a little over 3k counting gas.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
Already own it and all the components.

To rent a uhaul plus tow my truck is going to cost not a little over 3k counting gas.
Works for me. :D Safe journey!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts