Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends and I plan to tow a trailer with 4 streetbikes roughly 1600 miles roundtrip to the beach this year. Ive calculated everything to be around the 2500lb range with 2700lbs max for the loaded trailer combo. My question is, with my truck being lowered 4/5 on 20s if this is a good idea? And also should I leave OD off the whole way? Just seems like high rpm for 8 hours is a bad idea?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
What drivetrain? Notched, air shocks?

Edit: I see its a 3.5.

Are you buddies loading in your truck too? Anthing going in the bed?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its just an ext cab. Im gonna have one passenger and i am planning on trying to dump all the cargo in on our wives cars so all i gotta pull is the trailer. I dont have a notch yet and im not exactly sure if my leafs are factory or belltech. everything else was belltech. I bought the truck like this and so far have only replaced the front shocks with monroe reflexs

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually now that i think about it, its prob more like a 3/4 drop. Sits very similar to your white truck in sig

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
the load is within truck towing specs, since you don´t have a notch I would recommend just to take a look at the basics of towing with any vehicle.

- Brakes
- Tires
- Trailer lights harness
- Check that the trailer sits level when loaded and attached to the truck (must be a low trailer or level the ball with a special tongue)
- Levels on your truck (Coolant, oil, bla bla bla)

Since you have the 3.5 I5, I would just drive the truck normally don´t think you need to push the truck to high rpms with the OD.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an adjustable hitch to level out the trailer. I also had planned on adding a trans cooler just to be on the safe side. New breaks and rotors here in the next month and were not leaving until May. All tires are near new. I may even take an oil change with me for when we get there. Its 850 miles one way. Going back home will be the tough part going from the gulf back here to TN and climbing up lol

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
I would look into helper bags if you can't lift it back up a little. With 4 inch drop your right above your axle and will bottom out the whole way. The helpers will lift you back up and give you some comfort. I would definitely do a trans cooler and take your time, sounds like a fun trip.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
On an unrelated note, "slammer" is a new term to me haha.

·
Registered
242 Posts
As for which gear to be in, I believe you are a automatic, tow in 3rd gear. The manual states to use the appropriate gear to eliminate unnecessary up/down shifting. You are going to be sitting around 2500rpm in 3rd at 55-65mph. Your truck will be fine. In the flat streches, you can put it in OD.

I myself just keep it in 3rd the whole time when towing my boat. It weighs about 2200lbs fully loaded. I still get decent mileage too. Between 17-20, but I am also a 4x4.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So keep it in third gear for the majority of the trip. And yes i just came up with "slammer" for this post. As for helper springs do you think some Helwigs would help me out?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and would it be best to remove the drop block from the rear? Might give me a little more height. Think its a 3". I really cant afford an extra $350 for helper bags right now lol

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
The cheap $20 vato zone helper springs will be enough if you take out the blocks. Helper bags are the best way to go but I understand the cost of them. If you have 3in blocks then you can take them out or replace them with a smaller block so your stance doesn't look funny. If you just take out the blocks then you'll need stock U bolts cause the ones that came with the blocks will be too long. Let me know if you need either, pretty sure I have both blocks and stock U bolts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured id prob just take them completely out and then let the weight push it back level again. We more than likely wont drive the truck when we get there cause we'll leave it hooked to the trailer.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Another thing to invest in is a scan gauge, try and find one with trans temp that way you can monitor everything on your trip. Stock cluster sucks when it some to accuracy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts