Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kind of confused here on this one to what I can safely hall on my 2 inch, class 3 receiver hitch.
GM says 4000lbs with 400 pounds tongue weight.
H3 with 3.5 IS 4500 and 450 tongue weight.
However a GM website says the new 08's with a 3.7 can do 5500 and 550 respectively.
Reese hitches says my hitch can do up to 6000 and 600 with a equalizing hitch.
My end goal(hopefully) is to haul a.
3400 lb toyhauler with 1000lb ATV inside with 450 lbs on the tongue.
I also have airbags in the rear.
I know you should go with factory specs, but an H3 is a glorified 355. and the 08 with 22 more horsepower hauling 1500 more pounds.
I really think lawyers impose these limits, not Engineers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I believe as long as you have the weight distributing hitch with sway control, the air bags, and a brake controller, with brakes on both axles, you should be fine. I have a similar goal of hauling my 1000LB steel trailer with my 3700LB 70 Chevelle on it. I believe these trucks are perfectly capable.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Go for it man. It can be done!:355:

There's a guy who tows his Z06 Vette around on a car trailer. Like 5000lbs total. Do some searching and you'll find his setup. Or someone will probably chime in with a link to his thread. lol

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
The 08 hitch is different. None of the factory hitches are load distributing.

Horsepower is not all that goes into the tow rating either. Braking, cooling, vehicle weight, etc also factor in.

All of that said - when I do tree jobs I tow about 6500 lbs. total with about 650 on the tongue with no problem other than needed to start slower and stop sooner. This is with an unbraked trailer ( I get to borrow it for free so beggars can't be choosers ). If I had a braked trailer it would be a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I'm pretty sure Rangerbob tows 6000lbs. with his on a fairly regular basis without any issues.........

Yup yup. :355:

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Iv towed around a civic and an accord on a car hauler in mine with no problems. One trip was about 300 miles.

·
Registered
466 Posts
according to GM the 08 hitch is weight distriputing(reason for redesign) however just drop the 200 bones get one of the Cequent Towing Products Inc hitches. REESE, HIDDEN, CURT, or Draw-Tite. hint buy whatevers cheaper, i contacted them directly and its the exact same hitch with 4 different stickers on it. there is a trailer store on eBay that sells a round bar weight distributing hitch and friction anti-sway controller for 190 shipped. also shop around the same store has had brake controllers with the display for like 40 bux shipped too. I've done ALOT of research on all the towing stuff for the '08s so if you have any questions post them in here or PM directly.

PS. if you didn't buy your truck (08s only) from the factory with the hitch you can't buy it unless you want to piece it together.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I'm pretty sure he doesn't have an 08, he was just asking why they're rated for more lbs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
still useful knowledge for anyone else:shrug:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drive an 06 with a Reese class 3 hitch bolted to the frame, I guess my question would be, when I slide in the ball mount with weight distributing arms that mount on the trailer frame. I should be able to safely handle 5000ish pounds and 500 ish tongue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I towed a 2002 Trans Am rolling chassis from altanta GA to Chicago IL, didnt really have any problems except for the hills. My truck did it with no problem really just didnt like the fact my buddy was driving 90 down the ATL expressway getting on and off the gas constantly(think its why my trans is going out)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have an auto, I'm wondering if you were towing in drive,and not overdrive I assume?
Your truck seems to be kind of new to be losing a tranny.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In agreement,hence my original comment;" I really think lawyers impose these limits, not Engineers." Given all the different ratings on the 355 platform and its variants.
Insurance companies always will look for the cheap way out.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
In agreement,hence my original comment;" I really think lawyers impose these limits, not Engineers." Given all the different ratings on the 355 platform and its variants.
Insurance companies always will look for the cheap way out.
:true:

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you have an auto, I'm wondering if you were towing in drive,and not overdrive I assume?
Your truck seems to be kind of new to be losing a tranny.
Do the auto's have an automatic OD? Most trucks that I've seen have the overdrive gear selectable, but my truck just goes up to drive. But, then again, my truck might not have overdrive. >.<

Also, apparently my truck didn't have the hitch installed factory, and the company that I got it from had it installed. So, the power plug is just hanging out of the gap between the bumper and tailgate. My question is what could I do about this? I'm sure I could just go out and buy a bumper with the bracket for it in, but I'm on a very limited budget. So I need a cheap fix for this. I just want it to look a lot cleaner than it is.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In "D", it is in overdrive, or fourth gear. The manual says to keep it in 3rd when towing, but I didn't read it and kept it in "D" when I pulled a Vibe (3800lbs total) on a dolly 1800 miles, and with the truck loaded down to the max on top of that. Going through the Appalaciens, I ran the dogcrap out of it, and the poor transmission probably downshifted 500 times during the 3 day trip. The fluid still looks red and it hasn't hurt it at all, but I'll have it serviced, and install a trans cooler when I do the same thing again headed to Florida this summer. I'll keep it in 3rd, unless it seems to ride well in 4th (OD). I've got it tuned for towing by PCMforless.

For your power plug, you could probably find a place under the bumper to zip tie it, keeping it hidden, but accessable enough to plug the trailer into. That's about as cheap a fix you'll find, unless you use duct tape.:naughty:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts