Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 I-5 4wd The Tire pressure monitor light on the dash has been going of intermitantly, saying service TPM, not any one wheel low. I checked all the tires and the pressure was right on then had my very knowledgeable mech check each wheel with a snapon tool he has and it came up showing everything good. It didn't even single out any one wheel as having an issue. He didn't really have any advice what to do. It is coming on every once in a while but doesn't stay on all the time. Any suggestions? Or can I turn it off permanent some how?

·
Registered
33 Posts
07 I-5 4wd The Tire pressure monitor light on the dash has been going of intermitantly, saying service TPM, not any one wheel low. I checked all the tires and the pressure was right on then had my very knowledgeable mech check each wheel with a snapon tool he has and it came up showing everything good. It didn't even single out any one wheel as having an issue. He didn't really have any advice what to do. It is coming on every once in a while but doesn't stay on all the time. Any suggestions? Or can I turn it off permanent some how?
I’m guessing the weather is currently cold where you are located. Mine does it inconsistently in the winter season as well. If the weather has not changed then I have no other suggestions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m guessing the weather is currently cold where you are located. Mine does it inconsistently in the winter season as well. If the weather has not changed then I have no other suggestions.
Not the weather, I live in Hawaii

·
Registered
60 Posts
After working through my TPMS system I was sympathetic to your problem.
But that was before you said you live in Hawaii! (LOL)

Do what I’m going to eventually do - install an ‘04-‘06 cluster.

Reactions: 442_Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After working through my TPMS system I was sympathetic to your problem.
But that was before you said you live in Hawaii! (LOL)

Do what I’m going to eventually do - install an ‘04-‘06 cluster.
I don't understand

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 2004-2006 instrument clusters don’t support the TPMS system. If your sensors go bad and you have the older cluster, you won’t get any messages. You also won’t get low tire warnings, but the system doesn’t tell which tire is low or the pressure in the tire(s) so it actually isn’t that valuable.
Shop around for a cluster with close to the same miles as you currently have on the truck. I don’t know what the laws are in HI on reporting mileage on the bill of sale or title (in AL mileage reporting isn’t required on “older“ vehicles) but if it is required I think they will have a work-around policy.
Also don’t know if you have inspection laws that require all original equipment to be in working order. If so, that could require you to spend a lot of $$$ to fix the problem.
Been to your state twice and hope to one day (if/when COVID goes away) return for another visit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2004-2006 instrument clusters don’t support the TPMS system. If your sensors go bad and you have the older cluster, you won’t get any messages. You also won’t get low tire warnings, but the system doesn’t tell which tire is low or the pressure in the tire(s) so it actually isn’t that valuable.
Shop around for a cluster with close to the same miles as you currently have on the truck. I don’t know what the laws are in HI on reporting mileage on the bill of sale or title (in AL mileage reporting isn’t required on “older“ vehicles) but if it is required I think they will have a work-around policy.
Also don’t know if you have inspection laws that require all original equipment to be in working order. If so, that could require you to spend a lot of $$$ to fix the problem.
Been to your state twice and hope to one day (if/when COVID goes away) return for another visit.
Thanks but that sounds like a hassle, isn't here some way to get the same result without replacing the entire cluster?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not from what I’ve read across the forum. Can’t be “tuned“ out, can’t be turned off. Removing the sensors has the same effect as a dead sensor - tire light and DIC messages.
Changing a cluster is a 10-20 minute operation. The hardest part is getting the trim bezel off. Of course, you have to buy a replacement cluster. There seems to be a lot of them in the contiguous 48 states. If you can’t find one in HI shipping might be costly.

Reactions: OldTime

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks but that sounds like a hassle, isn't here some way to get the same result without replacing the entire cluster?
Hi All
I swapped my original cluster out of my 2007 to a brand new one (04 -06 model) to get rid of this very same problem......."Serv. TPMS".....
This was done in 2013 and was very easy to do even with my limited mechanical ability (or lack of)
I bought a Kilometre cluster as that is what we use over here and it swapped my mileage, 24 000 to kilometres 38 000 automatically..........problem solved
I can remember that I was advised that if I bought a used cluster with more mileage on it that my truck had done then the mileage would stay the same on my cluster until it had "caught up " with the actual mileage. I bought a new one via E bay so didn't need to factor this in
Hope this helps & let me know if you need any other info
Regards
Jacko

·
Registered
495 Posts
In short , NO . I would advise swapping to an older cluster with less miles than what yours reads or purchase a new older year 04-06 cluster . It's easy to do and even if purchasing a new cluster it should be less than the cost of repairing your TPMS system . Which , given time , will only fail you again . The swap is the PERMANENT fix .

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just checked GMPartsOnline.net for pricing. New OEM tire pressure sensors are $55 each. A new 2006 SLE cluster (PN 158629929) is $117, 2005 Z71 SLE cluster (PN 15862187) is $82. Same part numbers for Colorado and Canyon.
Cluster swap requires 10-20 minutes, a screwdriver or panel tool to remove the bezel, and a 7mm socket with a long extension.
TPMS sensor change requires removing wheel/tire from truck, breaking tire down, remove and replace sensor, re-airing (possibly re-balancing), re-mounting on truck and relearning process on sensors - estimate total cost as $75-$100 per wheel (depending on tire store service pricing) and 2-3 hours of your time per trip to tire store.
Cluster is a one time purchase. Sensor life is reported as 5-10 years (?), so you could replace them more than once if you keep your truck long enough.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Then there are those of us with the later 130 mph speedometer that was not available earlier. Guess we just live with TPMS problems. Pain in the butt.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just checked GMPartsOnline.net for pricing. New OEM tire pressure sensors are $55 each. A new 2006 SLE cluster (PN 158629929) is $117, 2005 Z71 SLE cluster (PN 15862187) is $82. Same part numbers for Colorado and Canyon.
Cluster swap requires 10-20 minutes, a screwdriver or panel tool to remove the bezel, and a 7mm socket with a long extension.
TPMS sensor change requires removing wheel/tire from truck, breaking tire down, remove and replace sensor, re-airing (possibly re-balancing), re-mounting on truck and relearning process on sensors - estimate total cost as $75-$100 per wheel (depending on tire store service pricing) and 2-3 hours of your time per trip to tire store.
Cluster is a one time purchase. Sensor life is reported as 5-10 years (?), so you could replace them more than once if you keep your truck long enough.
Wow , great info Keyav8r . Repairing an ineffective TPMS system is truly a huge waste of money . (y)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you tried relearning the TPMS sensors? No guarantee it will stay fixed, but sometimes it helps. Sounds like one of the sensors is not communicating with the system. I know your guy checked them, but maybe one of the batteries is getting weak. If they are original, then you had a real good run with them at 13 years. Typically 10 years is a good long life for them. I start thinking about them at 7-8 years.

I just had 2 of mine replaced. I was having exact same issue. Went to Discount Tire. Paid $60 per wheel for parts and labor. (got 2 done) Took all of about 20 minutes. I just painted my wheels a few weeks ago, so I was bummed that they would have to unmount the tire and scratch it all up. Not the case. They just had to break the bead locally to get a hand in there to swap the sensor. No rebalance required. No paint scratched.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you checked your spare tire? I have heard some spares have one also and it that tire pressure is low or sensor is bad, it would cause the same issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
TPM's are a waste + unless needed for state inspection save your money + buy a decent hand held tire gauge!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of your sensors are going bad. They are just a sealed sensor that omits a frequency that your BCM reads and tells you one of your tires are low. When it no longer senses one of the sensors it shows the message your getting. It’s intermittent now, but will only become more permanent as the months go on. The ONLY way to correctly fix it, is to have the TPMS in that wheel replaced. I would highly suggest you replacing them all if you can afford it. It does require you to have you wheel taken off and the bead broken to access it. So if you need new tires soon you may want to wait until then and do it all at once. They do sell frequency omiters that will trick the TPMS system into thinking all is good, but the reviews are only so so. And as someone else suggested you could do the cluster swap, but that would be a last ditch effort for me. As another suggested, try recalibrating the monitors. I think it’s something like turn the headlight switch 3 times in 5 secs then start letting the air out of your tires one by one. Could take up to 15-20 secs per tire. The horn will sound when it acknowledges the sensor. If you go around and one doesn’t register, that’s your bad sensor. My want to YouTube it to be for-sure. Good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One at a time I lowered the pressure on each tire and they all gave the Low Pressure warning after driving a short distance. Then I disconnected the battery refilled the tire and went to the next. I just did the same with the spare but the warning never came on, sop maybe that sensor is bad. Sure seems like some whizz kid computer nerd could come up with a way to fix that. S I either ignore the Service TPM or get a cluster. It would bother me almost as much to not have the milage read correct though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi All
I swapped my original cluster out of my 2007 to a brand new one (04 -06 model) to get rid of this very same problem......."Serv. TPMS".....
This was done in 2013 and was very easy to do even with my limited mechanical ability (or lack of)
I bought a Kilometre cluster as that is what we use over here and it swapped my mileage, 24 000 to kilometres 38 000 automatically..........problem solved
I can remember that I was advised that if I bought a used cluster with more mileage on it that my truck had done then the mileage would stay the same on my cluster until it had "caught up " with the actual mileage. I bought a new one via E bay so didn't need to factor this in
Hope this helps & let me know if you need any other info
Regards
Jacko
So with the new cluster you bought you were able to dial in the mileage you actually have?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts