Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

TPM- tire pressure monitor

5K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  BackInBlack 
#1 ·
07 I-5 4wd The Tire pressure monitor light on the dash has been going of intermitantly, saying service TPM, not any one wheel low. I checked all the tires and the pressure was right on then had my very knowledgeable mech check each wheel with a snapon tool he has and it came up showing everything good. It didn't even single out any one wheel as having an issue. He didn't really have any advice what to do. It is coming on every once in a while but doesn't stay on all the time. Any suggestions? Or can I turn it off permanent some how?

#4 ·
After working through my TPMS system I was sympathetic to your problem.
But that was before you said you live in Hawaii! (LOL)

Do what I’m going to eventually do - install an ‘04-‘06 cluster.

Reactions: 442_Mike
#6 ·
The 2004-2006 instrument clusters don’t support the TPMS system. If your sensors go bad and you have the older cluster, you won’t get any messages. You also won’t get low tire warnings, but the system doesn’t tell which tire is low or the pressure in the tire(s) so it actually isn’t that valuable.
Shop around for a cluster with close to the same miles as you currently have on the truck. I don’t know what the laws are in HI on reporting mileage on the bill of sale or title (in AL mileage reporting isn’t required on “older“ vehicles) but if it is required I think they will have a work-around policy.
Also don’t know if you have inspection laws that require all original equipment to be in working order. If so, that could require you to spend a lot of $$$ to fix the problem.
Been to your state twice and hope to one day (if/when COVID goes away) return for another visit.

#7 ·
The 2004-2006 instrument clusters don’t support the TPMS system. If your sensors go bad and you have the older cluster, you won’t get any messages. You also won’t get low tire warnings, but the system doesn’t tell which tire is low or the pressure in the tire(s) so it actually isn’t that valuable.
Shop around for a cluster with close to the same miles as you currently have on the truck. I don’t know what the laws are in HI on reporting mileage on the bill of sale or title (in AL mileage reporting isn’t required on “older“ vehicles) but if it is required I think they will have a work-around policy.
Also don’t know if you have inspection laws that require all original equipment to be in working order. If so, that could require you to spend a lot of $$$ to fix the problem.
Been to your state twice and hope to one day (if/when COVID goes away) return for another visit.
Thanks but that sounds like a hassle, isn't here some way to get the same result without replacing the entire cluster?

#8 ·
Not from what I’ve read across the forum. Can’t be “tuned“ out, can’t be turned off. Removing the sensors has the same effect as a dead sensor - tire light and DIC messages.
Changing a cluster is a 10-20 minute operation. The hardest part is getting the trim bezel off. Of course, you have to buy a replacement cluster. There seems to be a lot of them in the contiguous 48 states. If you can’t find one in HI shipping might be costly.

Reactions: OldTime
#11 ·
I just checked GMPartsOnline.net for pricing. New OEM tire pressure sensors are $55 each. A new 2006 SLE cluster (PN 158629929) is $117, 2005 Z71 SLE cluster (PN 15862187) is $82. Same part numbers for Colorado and Canyon.
Cluster swap requires 10-20 minutes, a screwdriver or panel tool to remove the bezel, and a 7mm socket with a long extension.
TPMS sensor change requires removing wheel/tire from truck, breaking tire down, remove and replace sensor, re-airing (possibly re-balancing), re-mounting on truck and relearning process on sensors - estimate total cost as $75-$100 per wheel (depending on tire store service pricing) and 2-3 hours of your time per trip to tire store.
Cluster is a one time purchase. Sensor life is reported as 5-10 years (?), so you could replace them more than once if you keep your truck long enough.

#14 ·
Have you tried relearning the TPMS sensors? No guarantee it will stay fixed, but sometimes it helps. Sounds like one of the sensors is not communicating with the system. I know your guy checked them, but maybe one of the batteries is getting weak. If they are original, then you had a real good run with them at 13 years. Typically 10 years is a good long life for them. I start thinking about them at 7-8 years.

I just had 2 of mine replaced. I was having exact same issue. Went to Discount Tire. Paid $60 per wheel for parts and labor. (got 2 done) Took all of about 20 minutes. I just painted my wheels a few weeks ago, so I was bummed that they would have to unmount the tire and scratch it all up. Not the case. They just had to break the bead locally to get a hand in there to swap the sensor. No rebalance required. No paint scratched.

#18 ·
One of your sensors are going bad. They are just a sealed sensor that omits a frequency that your BCM reads and tells you one of your tires are low. When it no longer senses one of the sensors it shows the message your getting. It’s intermittent now, but will only become more permanent as the months go on. The ONLY way to correctly fix it, is to have the TPMS in that wheel replaced. I would highly suggest you replacing them all if you can afford it. It does require you to have you wheel taken off and the bead broken to access it. So if you need new tires soon you may want to wait until then and do it all at once. They do sell frequency omiters that will trick the TPMS system into thinking all is good, but the reviews are only so so. And as someone else suggested you could do the cluster swap, but that would be a last ditch effort for me. As another suggested, try recalibrating the monitors. I think it’s something like turn the headlight switch 3 times in 5 secs then start letting the air out of your tires one by one. Could take up to 15-20 secs per tire. The horn will sound when it acknowledges the sensor. If you go around and one doesn’t register, that’s your bad sensor. My want to YouTube it to be for-sure. Good luck

#19 ·
One at a time I lowered the pressure on each tire and they all gave the Low Pressure warning after driving a short distance. Then I disconnected the battery refilled the tire and went to the next. I just did the same with the spare but the warning never came on, sop maybe that sensor is bad. Sure seems like some whizz kid computer nerd could come up with a way to fix that. S I either ignore the Service TPM or get a cluster. It would bother me almost as much to not have the milage read correct though.

#21 ·
Here is a good question, even the earlier clusters must of had the feature to say "check Engine" or ":low oil pressure", so without changing the computer what is stopping the dash from getting that "Service the TPM" even if it doesn't have the little tire icon that also shows?

#22 ·
The system will still be sending the signal. But the cluster does not have a reaction to it. It is not programmed to understand that signal. Based on the others that have done it, there is no other messages as a side effect.
A scan tool will still show your bad sensor is pissing off the TPMS, but the module will just be screaming into the void since you removed the indicator with the old cluster mod.

#23 ·
I had a mechanic, a very good one I should add that used a very expensive Snapon tool to check the wheels for a inoperative sensor and they All showed good and working and like I said in another comment I checked each wheel by taking the pressure down to -20 pounds and they all worked.

#32 ·
GMPartsonline.net
PN 15829929
2006 Colorado, Canyon. With auto trans. With luxury package. Without Extreme package.
$117.03
PN 15862187
2006 Colorado, Canyon. With auto trans. With luxury package. Without Extreme package.
$82.05
plus shipping.
May be new clusters available for 2004 also.

Reactions: BackInBlack
#34 ·
I have an update, I saw a video and the guy said DON"T use metal valve stem caps. I checked and I had a metal cap on one wheel. I replaced all of them with new plastic caps then did the Tire Pressure sensor matching procedure and all wheels got the horn and I haven't had the Service TPM light come on since.

#40 ·
You are right, I spoke too soon, after a couple days it came on again and is on most of the time now. Chevy wants $200 per wheel Plus. I just walked out while he was still talking. Ordered the sensors from rock Auto and a tire store said they would install and relearn for $29 per wheel, the AC Delco sensors were $47 per wheel. $500 plus cheaper

#37 ·
Believe or not on my 12 chevy Cruze playing a specific cd can cause interference. I had a issue once were the light came on and showed pressure on one of the tires was unreadable (--) while playing a CD I never played before. I didn't know it at the time but found on Cruzetalk forum that this had happened to some else too. Never played CD again and the light reset itself and I've never had it happen again. This happened a few years back and I'm still using same sensors and tires/wheels with no issues for thousands of miles now since it's my dd. Maybe just a fluke but it happened to me. I wish I remembered what CD it was because I'd try to duplicate that symptom to prove that indeed was the problem. I don't use the CD player anymore these day since I stream music off my phone.

#38 ·
I was gonna ask what CD. LOL I also have a 2011 Cruze LTZ RS that is the wife's DD. Like yours, the CD player doesn't get much action anymore. She streams or uses a USB plugged in that has a couple GB of the usual suspects. Im also on my original sensors, BUT I have winter wheels that get 4 months of cold weather service. So the sensors don't have a full time job, and she doesnt drive very far. Cruze only has just under 60k on it. Bought it new in Dec of 2010.

#39 ·
I'm actually on my 2nd set of sensors. I replaced them at 88k miles when I got new wheels and tires. I'm @ 152k now. If you have any issues which I'm sure you may have with your 11' Cruze you can ask me or check out Cruzetalk.com for great info from a great community.

#42 ·
Noted. Price seems right. Discount Tire was 60 plus tax per wheel for me with the brand they carry on the shelf. I didn't last long before I buckled and threw money at it. The message bothers me too much. Even though I check my gear pretty regular, I like having that working. Wish it were better like my other vehicles that gives me a number per wheel, but it lets you know if that mysterious object you just ran over is going to be a problem. Hopefully that's the end of it.

#43 ·
Yea, I couldn't stand looking at the message either. Gotta look at it like this, It is not much more than a monthly car payment would be and I haven't had one of those in years. This is a great truck almost 100,000 and it looks good and runs good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.