Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am having an odd issue with my tpms sensors on my 2008 Chevy Colorado 4x4. Last year I bought AC Delco TPMS Sensors (These ones)

I had them installed in my new rims which I then mounted on my truck myself. Long story short, they have been on about 11 months and I finally had time to go back to my mechanic to have him program the sensors (I tried doing it myself and failed)

We put the truck in learn mode and he has tried using both a Snap On and a Wurth TPMS sensor tool and we cannot get the horn to chirp at all when doing the procedure. Meaning, once in the learn mode we cannot get any tires to take. He can see the ID codes on the snap on, but they will not respond. When we go out for a drive he said it doesn't look like they are picking up any data in any of the tires.

My question is, is there a tpms module that tends to go bad in these trucks? Or something else that could cause the issue?

Shortly after I bought the truck the TPMS light started flashing at me and I just assumed the sensors were old and going bad. Since I wanted to buy rims/tires I just bought new delco sensors...

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
The TPMS sensors went bad at the 9 year mark for me (2007 Canyon). Discount Tire replaced them for me when I bought a new set of Michelins. As far as a module goes, I have not heard or read about any module issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got new rims in 2018 for my 2008 Colorado and replaced the TPMS sensors (I think that the batteries were just starting to go bad since I would occasionally get a signal in cold weather, but the pressures were all fine - and they were 10 years old!). I tried to do the manual learn sequence (which I had done successfully before when rotating the tires) and it wouldn't work.

But the alternative method at the end of the first message in the following post worked for me! https://www.355nation.net/threads/how-to-install-tpms-sensors-and-reset-tpm-system.59007/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These batteries in the tpms sensors were all new as I ordered them from Rockauto.

Both the manual way by airing down the tires and also by using a hand held device is not working for my sensors. I am beyond stumped...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you tried the way the post suggested yet - by going into calibration mode and then driving it for five or ten minutes? As I said, it worked for me when the manual way didn't.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry, then I've got nothing else... Wait a minute, I just noticed the Canadian Flag you've got - I know that there are certain differences in the trucks made for Canada and the ones made for the States. Maybe the TPMS sensor frequencies are different, causing them not to be picked up by the truck?

·
Internet Troll
1,233 Posts
Or do what I did and remove them entirely. I check my pressures every week anyway and for what the tire shop wanted to replace them....I have normal valve stems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced my OEM tires & TPMS sensors on my 2010 Colorado (I5) last January after 9 years? and only 52,000 miles. Bought OEM Goodyear Wranglers and Schrader EZSensors from TPMS,com. Tires worked perfect as expected, sensors were programmed by TPMS.com and shipped, installed with the tire exchange. I don't think the tech knew what he was doing when he couldn't get them to register so, I went home and "pinged" them myself with a $19.00 tool from Amazon and then drove it 2 miles. Everything been fine since then. Be aware, sensors run on either of 2 radio frequencies, but not both. You might have a set on the wrong frequency.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced my OEM tires & TPMS sensors on my 2010 Colorado (I5) last January after 9 years? and only 52,000 miles. Bought OEM Goodyear Wranglers and Schrader EZSensors from TPMS,com. Tires worked perfect as expected, sensors were programmed by TPMS.com and shipped, installed with the tire exchange. I don't think the tech knew what he was doing when he couldn't get them to register so, I went home and "pinged" them myself with a $19.00 tool from Amazon and then drove it 2 miles. Everything been fine since then. Be aware, sensors run on either of 2 radio frequencies, but not both. You might have a set on the wrong frequency.
Make sure your parking brake switch is working properly, it took me forever to figure that out. even though you have the parking brake applied, the switch may not be working and has to be for the vehicle to get into the proper mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts