Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I got the pleasure of dealing with this wonderful invention that the government stuffed down our throats to protect us from flat tires!:usa:

I picked up a used set of Z71 rims... Got some winter tires to slap on them... Got 4 GM TPMS sensors specific to my Canyon... Seems ok and straight forward... :rtardt:

Brought the rims, tires, and TPMS sensors to the tire place. Had them install TPMS, mount, and balance the tires... Good so far. I swapped out the rim/tires myself at home and now I needed to program the new TPMS sensors. :eek3d:

I look in my handy GMC owners manual and find the programming procedure for the TPMS (which needs to be followed when you rotate tires also). :eek6:

In a nut shell, for the DIYers...

Follow this procedure:

Set ebrake. Key on, no start.

Toggle the headlights switch from Auto to Off, three times.
Horn should beep twice to notify you are in programming mode.
The DIC will announce LOW PRES also to let you know programming mode is active (SERV TPM was also on because I had not programmed the new TPMS). You have 1 minute to do the first tire. 5 minutes to complete the entire procedure.

Go to drivers front tire, let out 10 psi or inflate 10 psi. Horn should beep once to know that TPMS is learned on that wheel. Go to passenger front tire, repeat. Passenger rear tire, repeat. Driver rear tire, repeat.

If the horn beeped once per tire, you should be done. Go to DIC and LOW PRES should be cleared out. Shut off key, fill tires to final desired PSI.

End Procedure

This is where I had a snag. SERV TPM was still lit up but LOW PRES went away, somehow saying that one or more of my TPMS sensors were "inop" or that the procedure did not complete satisfactorily.... Odd because it did and I got the beep at every tire. :hulk:I repeated the procedure 4 times and then gave up because the results were the same and it was cold as shit outside...... I resigned to going to the tire shop or dealer to get it done (since I don't have the correct TPMS tool)... Oh well....:sadwavey:

I fire up the truck today, and low and behold, everything is cool. SERV TPM is out and no issues.... So, I am assuming the manual should have stated that I needed to drive at least XX miles after programming the new sensors... :shrug: So, all is well now.. Not sure why it took some miles for the SEV TPM to clear.. :ughw:

:true: /THE END

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
the TPMS system is finicky, sometimes its the cold that causes it to come up with that message, at least it is for me.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
its not bad at all, you just let air out of each tire, one at a time until it beeps, then once youve got all 4, youre done. just fill it back up.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol:

Not laughing at you, but at the procedure. Are you kidding me???? That sounds ridiculous.

Glad I don't have that on mine. lol.
its not bad at all, you just let air out of each tire, one at a time until it beeps, then once youve got all 4, youre done. just fill it back up.
Yeah, I hear ya.. I did not feel the need to buy a $200 specialty tool to do this.... Could have been a cooler kid if I did but I didn't. :lol2:

That is the procedure right in the GMC owners manual.... I did not make it up, although it does sound funny. :lol:

Hopefully my story will help out others who have to deal with this POS system....:salute:

·
Registered
598 Posts
if you have good relations with your dealer they MIGHT do the reflash for you...it takes about 2 seconds with the tool they have and theres no need for a work order write up or anything....just a thought! haha i've done lots of these at the dealership i work for

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had mine taken out of the stockers and put into my zq8s and didnt do shit and worked fine. Guess i got lucky.
Ron, that is because you used the original sensors in the new rims. The TPMS sensors have a unique ID and you reused the TPMS' IDs that were programmed in the BCM already. So, that is why yours work seamlessly. Mine were brand new, different TPMS for my winter Z71 wheels.... Hence the need to learn them or program them in, whatever ya want to call it.

if you have good relations with your dealer they MIGHT do the reflash for you...it takes about 2 seconds with the tool they have and theres no need for a work order write up or anything....just a thought! haha i've done lots of these at the dealership i work for
I don't need to go to the dealership... It is working now. My programming some how took effect after a couple miles....

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol very entertaining post.

Sweet! That is exactly what I was going for. :high5:

I got my SERV TPM issue into my guru friends for an answer to why it took some miles to correct itself. The first wave of responses is that the sensors needed to charge (were dead from sitting) and driving on them recharges them. I am not that familiar with the system but I did get it all to work with little information and some patience! :salute:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts