Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know how to get rid off tpms, traction control, and stability control completely...i know the tpms have the sensor on the wheels and i can get rid of those but is there a receiver or something that i can get rid off or turn off completely? also how do i turn off the traction and stability control permanently off? im getting a whole new rearend put in the truck and is mostly going to be a drag race truck so i would not need these options anymore and would like to get rid of them but dont know how...any info would help, thanks

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
TPMS cannot be disabled, at least I could not figure it out.

Easiest way to get rid of it is to swap out your cluster for a cluster from a truck without TPMS. It will not show you have the missing sensors...

The other things, not sure.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know what was the last year they came out without the tpms sensor? and is it an easy swap? if its too much to mess with i would rather keep that annoying light on

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or you could paint over the tpms light like i did and press the reset needle to remove the serv tpms message
Yeah that's probably what I'll end up doing, but anybody know about the traction control and stuff?

·
Registered
38 Posts
do you know what was the last year they came out without the tpms sensor? and is it an easy swap? if its too much to mess with i would rather keep that annoying light on
Hi All
I have an 07 and bought an 06 cluster and fitted it and it works fine ....no more "serv tpms"
It was an easy fix even with my limited mechanical lack of knowledge.
PM me for the email of the guy I bought it through.
Regards
Jacko

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill probably keep my stock cluster...but is there anything more as to how to get rid of traction control and stability control?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Traction/Stab Control is a function of the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) and is part of the ABS System. It doesn't appear that Traction/Stab can be permanently deactivated without disabling the ABS system also. There are no separate fuses or external relays that can be removed to just remove the Traction/Stab capabilities. Someone in another Thread was trying to find a workaround for the shutoff switch to keep it from resetting each time the ignition switch is cycled. I don't know if that problem was ever resolved.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
I thought if you 0'd TQ management in the computer that it essentially eliminated traction control?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about tuning. I haven't any experience with that, but now that you mention it, I think it has been discussed before.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so is there a possibility to tune it out? if not ill probably get rid of abs then, i dont really need it since i dont drive it in bad weather anyways...im changing out the whole rear end as well

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Anytime i do serious off roading or when i want to play in the snow. I take out the 40A fuse that controls the ABS sensors (no idea what it controls really)... Then when i get back on pavement, pop it back in. ABS TC and stablaitrakgayness back on. Its labeled, creatively enough, "ABS" on the fuse cover.

No useful input on the tuning it out part.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anytime i do serious off roading or when i want to play in the snow. I take out the 40A fuse that controls the ABS sensors (no idea what it controls really)... Then when i get back on pavement, pop it back in. ABS TC and stablaitrakgayness back on. Its labeled, creatively enough, "ABS" on the fuse cover.

No useful input on the tuning it out part.
wow i didnt even think about that...you just solved my issue man thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i would only take it off whenever im at the track then put it back on after...but seriously thanks you just saved me a bunch of work haha

·
Registered
19 Posts
so seriously how bad would ABS mess you up drifting on snow you would be okay unless you are up on a scetchy moutian pass with a 9400 drop off probably keep it on huh. does anyone know if it improves gas mileage since its not controlling the traction control anymore

·
Registered
61 Posts
im writing this before checking the Colo ABS module so correct me if im wrong here, but on my 99 Camaro I took off the electrical side of the ABS module for repair and left the hydraulic side connected to retain my brakes. I just didn't have ABS while driving and the ABS dash light was on until I installed my refurbished ABS electrical module.

On the Camaro ABS module there are 4 hex nuts holding it to the module.

If this is the type, you can take off the electrical side or just unplug the connector on the module.

My 09 just hit 81K and only when the temperature gets below 20' the TPMS light started coming on intermittently...must be a Colorado thing that sucks like the ABS shuddering when you come to a stop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
TPMS cannot be disabled, at least I could not figure it out.

Easiest way to get rid of it is to swap out your cluster for a cluster from a truck without TPMS. It will not show you have the missing sensors...

Digital dash solutions says:
" If you purchase this cluster for a truck with the TPMS your cluster will chime and display a false warning in the information center."

I'm looking to purchase a 04-07 cluster to replace mine -2010 automatic because I removed my sensors, but digital dash solutions says ; (see above,) Has anyone done this before, I hate to buy this and have an annoying chime!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts