Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to update my old thread with these pics, but that one kind of died down and this is SOO COOL that it deserves it's own thread! haha

I got the opprotunity to put a new FRAME under a '05 Trailblazer LT. The guy ran over a parking block or something at 30mph? Actually a unique job because there was very little actual body work involved. Just got a new front bumper. The rest was all mechanical and frame time. It also got a new splash shield and pass. side lower control arm along with some "accidental supplement parts" that I'll explain later. LOL

But I was VERY excited when this job came in and had hopes of doing it. It didn't take much pursuation to the owner for him to assign it to me. I work in a 25K sq ft building all by myself so I have all the room in the world for a big job like this. Plus the building used to be a machine shop so there's these big hoists above me that worked out perfect. I've done a frame swap before too at another shop I was at. It was on a 01 Silverado, Ext Cab, Long Bed. It's freaking FUN taking a vehicle down to it's skeleton and putting it back together!!! It's like building model cars, but for real!

So on to the pics!

Here's what I started with. This thing was PIMP! Fully loaded and whatnot. Real nice ride....

The damage.

1st step was to disassemble some things to make taking the body off either possible, or so they didn't get messed up in the process. These items included, front and rear bumpers, running boards, rocker mouldings, grill, headlights, etc, all 4 splash shields, spare tire, parking brake cables, trans linkage, all 10 body mounts, heater core hoses, steering shaft, brake lines, radiator/condensor, airbox, well....basically gutting under the hood! lol And in this case he had an A/M alarm that I had to deal with too.

Now the body is ready to come off.

Here you can see the hoist I used. Now, a 2 post lift would've been IDEAL for this, but hey, you gotta make due with what ya got!

I wasn't sure how high I could lift one end and not the other, so I lifted the front a little bit, then the rear, then the front again to make sure I didn't screw something up. And since there was no way to lift the body up in the rear, I had to improvise a little bit. I hooked the frame by the hitch and lifted it up. Then I put some jack stands and 2X4's under the body so when I lowered the frame, the body would remain in the air giving me a space in between the body and frame big enough to fit a 6X6 through. Then I lifted the frame back up and placed large jack stands under the wood so when I lowered it again, the body would remain high enough in the air so I could roll the frame out.

Then it was just a matter of hoisting the front up high enough to clear the motor. But in the mean time.........3 FOOT BODY LIFT!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA

Then you place both frames side by side so you can swap everything over...

Not really how you'd like to see YOUR vehicle huh? LOL

Now it's only a matter of taking something off the old frame, and putting it on the new one. Take it off.....put it on.....take it off.....put it on. Really easy but FUN work!

I like to start at the back and work my way forward...

Now on to the front!

You pretty much do the suspention and motor at the same time. You have to have the CV's out anyway...

Now, remember those "accidental supplement parts" above! Here's the deal.....the motor FELL off the cherry picker from like 3 ft in the air!! hahahaha Put a BIG hole in the pan, bent the oil pickup, and crushed the power steering cooler which in turn put some gashes in the belt. Plus a monster puddle of oil!! The picker didn't have your typical hook that you put the chain on, it had some crappy setup that obviously didn't work so it wasn't my fault and the owner understood.

Here's the steering rack, control arms, brake lines, and wiring harness on the new frame.

And now with all that out of the old frame, you can really see the damage. BOY this must have been a THUMP!!

That's it for the old frame!

So understandably I didn't want to use that cherry picker again, so I used the hoist to put the motor back in. Worked out good cause I was able to get the motor high enough to put the new pan in without breaking my back! To put it in the new frame, I just had to get a jack and roll the new one to this side of the shop...

Inside the old pan....

And on a side note, GMT360's have a wierd front diff setup! It goes through the old pan!? The front driveshaft connects the front diff on the driver side for the motor and that has about a foot long shaft that goes through the pan connecting to another piece that the pass side CV connects too. I don't think I've seen that before! They usually go beneath the motor/pan?

So now the motor/ft. suspention is all in and ready to go back under the body.

Reunited...........and it feels sooo good!!!!!!! (old song..lol) It's all downhill from here...

Bleeding the brakes...

Engine bay all finished...

MAN I was diggin this thing!!

After topping off all the fluids and double and triple checking everything, it was time for some test drives. I had fun time bleeding the brakes, there was tons of air in the lines. And there was a vibration around 2K rpm that wound up being the exhaust needed tweaking. And me and the owner are the only ones who park in the back so he only has the plow guy plow a path to the one bay door, leaving like 8 in of snow in the rest of the lot! PERFECT opprotunity to "test" the 4WD/AWD system! hehehe This thing was impressive! I'd get it stuck in 2WD, switch it to AWD or 4HI and it'd just dig itself right out!

So that about wraps it up then! Like I said, I was really excited to do this job and had ALOT of fun with it. I was freakin pissed off about if for the longest time because this thing has been here for 6 weeks!!!! After they wrote the estimate, it took like a week to get this used POS frame. Then another week went by because I had other jobs to finish up, then I get around to actually examining the frame, only to find some damage in the SAME spot as the one on the truck!? So they sent it back and got one right from GM. Then it was still like 1-2 weeks before I got to actually bust it out. I told them I didn't want to work on anything else, just this frame swap so I could get it done asap. I think if nothing went wrong, I could've had it done in 4-8hr days from start to finish. With the truck sitting there untouched, I had the body ready to come off on a friday, monday I came in and had everything in the rear swapped over by like 2pm, then spent the rest of the day getting the front tore apart and the motor out, then around 4:30 is when the motor fell! haha So I had to wait till wed afternoon for the parts to come in, so tuesday I swapped what I could over and cleaned up a bit. Then I got the oil pan on and the motor/ft. suspension in on wed afternoon so the frame was ready to go back under on thur. And all day thur was spent buttoning everything back up! It was ready to go down to the alignment shop by 4.

Here's the finished pics. And the front bumper is dull because when they brought it back from alignment, they pulled it right to detail and they started to sand it down to buff it. But I told the idiots to bring it back up to me when they brought it back so I could go over it one last time! lol

Hope you guys enjoyed!! You better have because all this took me like 3 hours to get the pics uploaded, resized, and posted here!!!! HAHAHAHA J/K I enjoy sharing these types of things, as you all know from my other thread!

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
i bet that was a shit load of labor

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was like a 45 hr job that took me less than 35 to complete. And it was mostly frame and mechanical time, which pays alot more than body time. But yea, ALOT of work but again, it was easy and fun!

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
I appreciate the time it took you to post this because it is an awesome post!!!! I didnt know you did all that man!! GREAT JOB. keep up the good work. :355:

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell yea.....Josue's GOT it like that!!! :D:lmao:

But it wasn't a problem posting this. I've been excited to show you guys since the job came in! When they gave it to me, the 1st thing I thought was...."Man I can't wait to post this on the Nation" hahahaha

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
so did you post this over on trailvoy ?

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yea!! BUT, that site is wierd! At 1st, I had to shorten the message to 10,000 characters. It was over 13,000!! So I cut what I could out, figuring I could post it in a reply, THEN I had 45 pics and you're only allowed 15 per post. So I just had to break down the whole thread into 4 replies.....

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
yeah some sites are like that

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow man.. very impressive.. your pretty lucky to have such a kick ass job
Blah, I don't know about all that! This is one of the few exceptions where I actually enjoy what I do for a living. Most times you're just getting scewed by management or the Ins. Co's. I love having the skill to do this, but it's a REAL bullshit way to earn a paycheck. So I'm going to college to get the eff out of this business! LOL

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just replied on Radofans, but must say it again, Sweet post man!!

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
haha, naw....we have to be mechanics too! Whatever is a direct result of the accident, we have to fix. It's usually a bitch, but it was fun in this case.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts