Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just posting this because I had a transfer case issue today and it took me a while to track down the part number so I wanted to make someone else's life easier in the future.

The Transfer case control module that is located under the drivers seat is part number 98146600. GMPartsGiant.com is the cheapest I could find it at about $180 shipped.

Now if you have a blinking light when trying to engage 4x4 and no movement from either the transfer case or actuator this is most likely your issue. Especially if your driver side floor got wet from a leak or mudding.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I've also been told by mechanics at work that if your module or actuator goes out and your stuck in say 4lo, you can pull the actuator off the tcase and shift it manually. Never done it, but had 2 different mechanics tell me that.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have any idea how I could engage 4Hi manually it would be greatly appreciated. I'm bad with electronics and don't want to fuck with this thing but we are about to get slammed with snow and I have no 4wd and a boosted truck that loves spinning the rear tires.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
You should be able to pull the actuator off the tcase and put it in 4hi. It would probably be trial and error to figure out which is which. If you can switch it to 2wd from any other you should be able to go to 4hi or 4lo.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
I show two part numbers for this. I would imagine the higher part number is a revised version, but that just a hunch.

SHIFT CONTROLS/TRANSFER CASE

Item Number: 003
Part Number: 98052378
Description: MODULE. Transfer Case Shift Control
MODULE,TRFER CASE SHFT CONT. Required: 01
For: T1 ELEK SHFT TRFER CASE(NP1) (2004-2011) (2009 - 2011).
Cost: $170.02

Item Number: 003
Part Number: 98146600
Description: MODULE. Transfer Case Shift Control
MODULE,TRFER CASE SHFT CONT. Required: 01
For: T1 ELEK SHFT TRFER CASE(NP1) (2004-2011) (2009 - 2011).
Cost: $170.87

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct Rich that's why I had trouble finding the number. I had the blue part number originally which has been replaced by the part number you have listed in red.

If you try to search the blue part number you get only a few overpriced results the part number in red is widely available.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Also if you do switch it into 4hi. I'd leave the connector off the actuator and put something over it to keep snow, water, ect out. That was if your module decides to work or anything it wouldn't shift you out of 4hi. Whipples messed up and left him in 4lo. We messed with it long enough and got it to shift into 2wd then if died. I'd hate for you to be in a few inches of snow and it decide to shift you back into 2wd.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's staying parked now, I just drove my grand am which has brand new tires and luckily I got out early enough it was just a dusting at that point. My buddy is working on getting me a controller through his brother that works at a dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't mean to dig up an old thread but do you need to have a TCCM re-flashed or any other stealership only function if you grab it from another truck?

Also, any other vehicles that use the same part # listed above?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts