Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When reconnecting the tranny lines to the cooler located inside the radiator, I found that the 2 seals inside were shot and need to be replaced. Was looking for the replacement part number for those 2 seals, or their specifications?
Thanks in advance

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the other seal which are inside the radiator, around the inside fitting of the cooler, not the ones on the lines... Looks like they are specific, can't find them on internet

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
So you're saying the coolants mixing with the tranny fluid in the radiator?

If so that will be tough to track down, you'd probably have to visit a specialty radiator shop which I doubt there are many of where you're at. Probably better off grabbing a new radiator, they are pretty cheap so hopefully the shipping isn't too bad on you. I think I paid about $120 for a napa one a few months ago.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remove the 2 seals in the radiator, and will try to find replacement. But I thought someone got the part number, not a big deal, if I dont find, I will plug the holes, and install only the aftermarket cooler.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Just take a picture of what you are talking about, I'm not sure if you are saying the trans cooler is leaking into the radiator section or if you just have a leak where the lines attach.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the whole "trans cooler in the radiator" idea is a piece of shit, just run the external cooler and be done with it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
the whole "trans cooler in the radiator" idea is a piece of shit, just run the external cooler and be done with it.
I presume this post is saying "eliminate the rad cooler and go with a external cooler only". Anyone that takes this advice would be well advised to install a tranny fluid temp gauge to be safe.

FWI, when I installed a B&M #70264 auxiliary tranny cooler, the B&M instructions said to install the auxiliary cooler inline with and after the factory rad cooler. The instructions recommended against bypassing the factory rad cooler.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I presume this post is saying "eliminate the rad cooler and go with a external cooler only". Anyone that takes this advice would be well advised to install a tranny fluid temp gauge to be safe.

FWI, when I installed a B&M #70264 auxiliary tranny cooler, the B&M instructions said to install the auxiliary cooler inline with and after the factory rad cooler. The instructions recommended against bypassing the factory rad cooler.
Will see if I will eliminate the rad cooler, I have an external cooler and also scangauge to monitor the tranny temp. Just need 2 plug holes for the rad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The reason you don't want to bypass the radiator cooler is it helps warm up the transmission in cold weather. Cold thick fluid can be as bad as dirty or no fluid.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just cover/tape the holes.....whatever it takes to keep junk out. I've never seen info saying cold tranny fluid is a problem.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason you don't want to bypass the radiator cooler is it helps warm up the transmission in cold weather. Cold thick fluid can be as bad as dirty or no fluid.
Yeah, but lowest temp we have here in tahiti is 22 celsius degrees. I will surely plug holes.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

yup... too many things can go wrong to justify running this setup, the radiator trans cooler just cost me new freshly rebuilt trans, because it failed on me and it contaminated my trans fluid with engine coolant, to the point the trans began slipping.

also, chances are if your running your engine hard im hot weather, you will have an easier time running a cooler trans by just running an external cooler...

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Yea, the trans cooler in radiator is beneficial for guys like me -- but your environment, you're correct, you don't need it.

I imagine that your temps running external only for the transmission would be warmer than me running the OEM set-up in the winter...

·
Registered
424 Posts
yup... too many things can go wrong to justify running this setup, the radiator trans cooler just cost me new freshly rebuilt trans, because it failed on me and it contaminated my trans fluid with engine coolant, to the point the trans began slipping.

also, chances are if your running your engine hard im hot weather, you will have an easier time running a cooler trans by just running an external cooler...
Seems like regular checks of the tranny dipstick and coolant recovery bottle would indicate a leakage issue.

An auxiliary cooler is an external cooler, no?......and if u run an auxiliary cooler inline with and after the factory rad cooler, fluid should run cooler, no? With an auxiliary cooler inline with and after the factory rad cooler the fluid does have a second chance to be cooled, no?

Your recommendation to eliminate the factory rad cooler is ill advised unless u also recommend installing a gauge to verify/prove fluid is at least as cool as it was with the factory rad cooler. If u don't have a gauge to verify/prove your statement, then all u have is an opinion/guess. I damn sure wouldn't eliminate the factory rad cooler, without installing a tranny fluid gauge, based on someones opinion that I read on the Internet.

Eliminating the factory cooler and guessing at tranny fluid temps..............really?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just eliminate the internal cooler. Any idea how to plug the 2 holes at the bottom of the rad?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Since they r plug-in quick connects, maybe the parts stores sell them. Keep us posted on tranny fluid temps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
I have a temp gauge right before the trans but downstream of my aux cooler after the factory rad and my experience has been that the factory trans cooler in the radiator heats the fluid (at least in ak). It's pretty amazing to see how fast the fluid heats up when the thermostat opens.

I would eliminate the trans cooler in the radiator IF I didn't have to worry about the winters up here... But that gets to the last point about having a temp gauge and properly sizing the cooler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
424 Posts
.....and what I see is the opposite, tranny fluid is very slow to warm up compared to engine coolant in mild/cool ambient temps. Tranny fluid temp +/-100* lower than engine coolant temp for quite a bit of driving. In 3 digit ambient, tranny fluid warms up quicker. Same way on our 'yota RAV4.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts