Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my transmission replaced about 45000 kms ago due to a wrecked clutch (dealership was not clear and I was working 5hrs away), anyhow, the repair bill was close to the price of a new transmission, so I went with a new one for the better warranty.

Now, with 45 000kms on a new tranny it's acting up again. The truck feels very sluggish off the line, but then shifts and operates normally. When I'm stopped in drive, the truck won't creep forward when I let off the brake. The strange thing is that if I drive it long enough, it starts working normally again, and if I park indoors (heated) it doesn't seem to happen. It's pretty cold at the moment (-10 to -20 C), but even after the transmission temp is normal it takes a while to start functioning normally. Anyhow, the fluid level is normal, and doesn't look or smell burnt. The truck does almost exclusively highway and I don't tow with it at all. I can't find anyone else with this problem, and it isn't on the list of common 4L60 failures.

Any thoughts before I take it to the dealership? I like to have an idea of what needs to be fixed before I head in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
No codes so my guess is as good as any. When that cold I'd block the air flow to the rad to keep the engine/ trans a little warmer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah no codes, at least no check engine light. I'll give it another scan to see if a code popped up. You think just covering the grill would do it? Last winter it was at least this cold/colder and no problems. This truck has seen lots of cold weather.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think this might be normal.. This is exactly how Mines is.. It won't move on idle and it goes on the last gear until it needs to shit or you need to speed up.. My neighbor had the same truck and he said that his truck did that also

·
Registered
73 Posts
Most lkley the fluid is a little too thick for the temp. I had the same thing happen way back in high school with a camaro of mine

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys - this is new behaviour for the truck. It's seen way colder temperatures than this and operated normally (as in creeping forward while in drive). Not to mention this persists once the tranny has reached normal operating temperatures.

Anyhow, I've talked to a GM mechanic and he suggested to check the rear drums and flush the brake fluid. He thinks it could just be the brakes sticking/binding a bit. I'll check that this weekend and let you know.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey guys - this is new behaviour for the truck. It's seen way colder temperatures than this and operated normally (as in creeping forward while in drive). Not to mention this persists once the tranny has reached normal operating temperatures.

Anyhow, I've talked to a GM mechanic and he suggested to check the rear drums and flush the brake fluid. He thinks it could just be the brakes sticking/binding a bit. I'll check that this weekend and let you know.
I'm in for updates. Let me know.. I thought it was just normal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts