Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I was driving around 25mph when my truck revved up like it hit neutral. After this, it wouldn't budge in any gear. Every now and then it will move about an inch in drive but nothing more than that.

Is it safe to say this is definitely a bad tranny? I'm running 35 inch mud tires on 18" rims. Also the truck is lifted w/ a 5" suspension lift (CST) and a 3 inch body lift. With the size of the lift and tires I'm concerned that the stock 4l60e won't be able to last. Some people are telling me to just beef it up w/ aftermarket parts and some people don't even want to touch it with the lift and tires.

How hard is the 4l80 swap? Is this the route to go? Stock 4l60 rebuild or built would be fine? What should I do? Money is tight but I want to do it right the first time! Any input in appreciated.

Yes it has enough fluid and the fluid looks/smells burnt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a pic of my truck. Do you think I could do the swap for about the same amount of money?(compared to having my tranny rebuilt which would be 2-3k w/ labor)

Attachments

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
The swap won't be too bad once you find all the bolts and with a body lift it should be a lot easier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank y'all for the quick response.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
just build it up to a 65e and be done the 80e is heavy and will take more hp to run it now if it had a v8 ya but for are trucks no

all you need is a trans cooler,spin on filter,super servos,and maybe a shift kit,it also helps to go with better clutch packs go here they can help 4L60E Performance Transmissions from PATC

a stock 60e is shit but if u build it right there good

oh and my trans was 1700 who is fuckin you for 2-3k?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
My rebuild was like $900.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Or u could get a TCI rebuild kit and do it yourself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Olds88 have you dealt with PATC?
I don't know how y'all got those prices. I've called shop after shop to quote a rebuild and install and even Aamco wanted between 2000 and 2400. That was for an OEM rebuild too! All of my local shops want 3000. Are these prices really that far off?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I don't know how y'all got those prices. I've called shop after shop to quote a rebuild and install and even Aamco wanted between 2000 and 2400. That was for an OEM rebuild too! All of my local shops want 3000. Are these prices really that far off?
Different cities and states.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I had the same problem, I paid a grand.
That was taking the trans out and to his shop as well
BUT I got some goodies with my rebuild :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
so far just my trans cooler,spin on filter,and servos but my next trans will be from them im waitin on a job out in lake charles and after that ill go up patc in Shreveport and get another trans i smoked my od a few months back if any thing make a road trip out here to houston well get you fixed up

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot man. I talked w/ them on the phone for a good 20 minutes and they'll install a level 2 tranny w/ billet servos, a wider band, and a few other beefed up parts for 2900 w/ tax and fluids included. Not bad for what I'd be getting, but still trying to decide what route is best for the truck. That is a pretty far drive for the bottom of the boot.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I just paid $900 for the rebuild and $200 to swap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts