Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never seen this type of behavior before so thought I would ask other Colorado owners.

Just picked up a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado. If I press the trip odometer stem, the trip will display as expected. It will only stay in the trip mode for the current drive cycle. If I shut the truck off, and then restart it, it will now display the total miles on the truck and I have to press the trip button again in order to display the trip.

Is this normal for the Colorado? Is there a way to get it to stay in trip mode until you press the trip button again taking it back to total miles?

Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
:welcome2:

It appears to be one of those minor annoyances that shows up from time to time. The Owner's Manual states that the Odometer will appear each time when the key is turned on. At least it doesn't automatically reset the tripmeter to zero.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My 08 stays in trip when I turn it off and on. The only time I think it displays total miles when I had it on trip is when I unplug the battery or just turn the key to acc or on but not run.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mine works the same way as Jaymes' truck.

My annoyance with our trip meter is you have to be rolling to reset it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
What do you mean by rolling? The truck actually moving? I can reset mine at anytime. Rolling or not.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
2011. Every time I turn the key to ACC or RUN the odometer displays. I just now reset my tripmeter with the key in RUN, engine off.

·
Internet Troll
1,253 Posts
I think the OP meant that if he has his trip odometer showing for a trip, once he turns off the truck and restarts the truck, the odometer has returned to just the odometer and the trip has been turned off. Once he turns it back on, his trip miles are still there. Although I usually only reset it when I fill up to keep track of mileage.

My '09 trip meter reverts back to the odometer when I do the same thing (turn truck off like to get gas or food). I can also reset it in ACC or RUN modes, and the truck does not need to be moving, nor the engine running, usually then wants to reset the oil life monitor when it isn't running. (another story)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the OP meant that if he has his trip odometer showing for a trip, once he turns off the truck and restarts the truck, the odometer has returned to just the odometer and the trip has been turned off. Once he turns it back on, his trip miles are still there. Although I usually only reset it when I fill up to keep track of mileage.

My '09 trip meter reverts back to the odometer when I do the same thing (turn truck off like to get gas or food). I can also reset it in ACC or RUN modes, and the truck does not need to be moving, nor the engine running, usually then wants to reset the oil life monitor when it isn't running. (another story)
Is that your only problem, o.k. let me start. My goddamn o8 canyon, 2.9 about once a week will not start, got to wait 10 min. Trip meter has to be moving , hold the goddamn button for about two miles before it sets, also since i put my rack on i get 16 miles to gal. used to get 18, can get 23 but don't want to be goddamn road block, also if you go for a kickdown below 20 miles per hour the son-of -a-bitch goes to first gear. If it's wet it put's you in the oncoming lane. One other thing, After new tires, low tire light stays on. After taking two college courses on how to reset the bastard's and repeating about four times, light is still on. Must be Lucas electrical. Other than that i love the bastard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts