Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 LT is showing trouble code U0109. It's causing it to intermittently not start. The dealer has had the truck for almost 2 weeks and can't recreate the problem.

It has not started for me many times (probably approaching 50% of the time) and for them, it starts every time.

I am already angry that I almost have to rely on the dealer for troubleshooting. Today I called to try to get some answers from them and they suggested I allow them to use my truck for their shuttle service to try to get it to do something. When I said sure, so long as I don't have to pay for gas during their shuttle trips, the service adviser said informed me I would have to pay for gas. So now I'm pissed, this douche has my truck, they can't recreate my problem and the only options they've offered is to replace the fuel pump ($700) or look for bad wiring ($85/hour for who knows how long), both offered with the caveat that it might not fix the problem.

I need suggestions please. It blows my mind that these over-charging asshats can't provide me with solutions to fix my truck. Truck has 50k on it and is never off-roaded or driven aggressively. Basically just sits in my driveway looking pretty.

TIA

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Fuel pump control module under the bed. I don't suggest you use that dealer, this is a common problem and they should have known about it.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that makes my day.

Can I do this in the driveway or should I just have them replace it?

I have a haynes at home, but I'm working all night.

Thanks guys.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Shouldn't be too bad. Check the haynes before doing it but IIRC you just drop the spare and it should be right there with 3 bolts holding it on.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Actually I found you one better there was a recall on it and it should be replaced for free.

2009 Chevrolet Colorado Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine

Recall ID # 85456 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE Plus Hide Details
Recall Date:
MAY 06, 2009
Model Affected:
2009 Chevrolet Colorado
Summary:
GM IS RECALLING 27,188 MY 2009 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE HYBRID, ESCALADE ESV, AND ESCALADE EXT; CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SUBURBAN, TAHOE, TAHOE HYBRID, AND COLORADO; AND GMC YUKON, YUKON HYBRID, YUKON XL, AND CANYON VEHICLES. THE FUEL SYSTEM CONTROL MODULES MAY HAVE A CONDITION IN WHICH AN ADHESIVE SEPARATION OF THE ROOM TEMPERATURE VULCANIZING (RTV) SEAL BETWEEN THE SEAL AND THE HOUSING MAY ALLOW WATER TO SEEP INTO THE MODULE.
Consequences:
WATER IN THE MODULE COULD CAUSE A SHORT OR OPEN CIRCUIT, ILLUMINATION OF THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LAMP, SETTING OF DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES OR THE ENGINE MAY BE HARD TO START, MAY NOT START OR MAY STALL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Read more: 2009 Chevrolet Colorado Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already asked them about that recall and they said there are no open recalls on my truck. I also checked online and whatever GM website I used says the same thing based on my VIN. I wish I could confirm that the work was actually done, because I'm not the first owner.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Well that sucks. See if you can locate a Regional GM Service Representative for your area and make them aware of the situation. Sometimes you can get them to force it through and put a call into the dealer since it is a safety risk if your truck dies while doing 70mph in traffic on the highway and you lose power steering and brakes.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi wondabread,

Are you planning on contacting GM Customer Service? If so, I am happy to look into your vehicle concern for you. I understand that your vehicle has been to the dealership for this concern and you are continuing to experience the same issue. I apologize that you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. If I can be of any assistance, please contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So I picked my truck up after the dealer replaced the fuel pump control module and drove it for the last month. Today the truck didn't start. Had to have it towed after trying it intermittently for a little over an hour. The truck sat for about 7 hours in the dealer parking lot and just started when I tried it. It's showing trouble code U0109...again. Not a single hiccup for the last month - after almost 1000 miles (and roughly 100-150 starts).

I just can't wrap my head around the fuel pump control module being bad again...can the fuel pump make the fpcm go bad? Can something else make it go bad? Can it be something else entirely? Should I replace the fuel pump to see if that's the problem?

I'm basically back to square one with a truck that intermittent starts and a dealer that is as helpless as I am.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
U0109 Lost Communication with the Fuel Pump Control Module.

The Fuel Pump Control Module communication is via the High Speed GMLAN Serial Data Circuit. There are three modules on the circuit plus the Data Link Connector under the dash.
1. If you have anything connected to the DLC, such as a Scangauge, disconnect it.
2. Disconnect the battery.
3. Remove the connector for the Transmission Control Module and inspect the pins.
4. Remove connector X3 to the ECM Module. It is the connector on the left (inboard
connector) and inspect the pins.

GM has experienced problems with "fretting" corrosion on connector pins in many of their vehicles and have a Service Bulletin regarding it. The corrosion appears as a gray film on the pins. The problems show up more on the low voltage Serial Data circuits. The High Speed GMLAN circuits have Tan & Tan/White colors.

This is, admittedly, a long shot, but it is easy to do as the Transmissions Control Module and Engine Control Module are next to each other in an easily accessible area.

GM recommends a light coating of this on connector pins:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My truck is currently at the dealer (again). They claim to have replaced/reprogrammed the fpcm and cleaned all connectors and looked for bad wiring. They told me they had to involve GM engineering (or an engineer from GM or something like that) to attempt to figure out what is causing this intermittent trouble code/not starting.

My truck has spent over 2 months at the dealer and has NEVER acted up for them.

They have no idea what to do, which means I have no idea what to do. I don't mind crawling around and looking for bad wiring or replacing parts. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time, nor the ability to reprogram.

This current trip its been since October 10th and I just heard back from them today. They told me they haven't figured anything out, but they are looking for bad wires. Nearly 3 weeks with out an update. I'm sure they only called today because I called and left the service manager a message.

I'm at a complete loss. I'm going to contact GM customer care this week.

I'm up for any other ideas. I've told the dealer about everything here so far.

Thanks everyone.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Keep pressing and contact people higher up the food chain than the dealer. I wish you were closer I would be interested in looking through the wiring myself.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts