Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....but then it woke up.
I was on the road for about 20 minutes all of a sudden the engine died. The dashboard lit up with ABS ,Service, and Fault messages, I didn't see any fault code numbers. I pulled over to the side of the road. Let it sit for a couple minutes, started it up and everything was fine. No codes no dash board warning lights and it ran great the rest of the day.
Any suggestions on cause of that little episode??

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Rich beat me to it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to RSHADD and 1BADI5. I was finally able to pop the hood after I got home. The ground pack looks fine, but I discovered a battery leak with corrosion flowing out of the battery and on down...nothing had hit the ground yet so I didn't see anything until I popped the hood. It has to be a recent leak because I check under the hood every week or two. This is the second time this happened in the last three months with what is supposed to be AUTOZONE's best battery. I'm done with the ZONE. What battery do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Thanks to RSHADD and 1BADI5. I was finally able to pop the hood after I got home. The ground pack looks fine, but I discovered a battery leak with corrosion flowing out of the battery and on down...nothing had hit the ground yet so I didn't see anything until I popped the hood. It has to be a recent leak because I check under the hood every week or two. This is the second time this happened in the last three months with what is supposed to be AUTOZONE's best battery. I'm done with the ZONE. What battery do you recommend?
What does 'looks fine' mean for the ground packs.

I believe what they mean is to remove it and clean the connection point. Often times you will not see evidence of poor contact points.

However, if our battery looks like crap, chances are that will be a good starting point.

I've had 2 AutoZone Duralast Battery's. No problems and they have never leaked. One in this truck, one in the last truck. Take that back, 2 in the last truck.
If that battery is 3 months old, it should be a free replacement. Not sure if that is what you meant by the 3 month time span though.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I like/use Inerstate batt's. got 2 1000 cca's mounted in the trunk of my GN.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Yeah just get it warrantied, it was likely just a fluke.

I've been using the cheap Autozone and Advance Batteries since I started driving and I have about 7 years on the two I currently have in my vehicles.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I'm using the AC-Delco professional gold battery part number 86PG from O-Reilly auto parts. Its the same one the GM dealers are using that have a 42 month warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I'll do that this morning.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I have a yellow top in my truck and car.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
there are only 3 or 4 auto battery makers in the world.

good chance, O-Reilly, interstatem autozone etc are all the same batteries.. google the info for more

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out the alternator was overcharging and frying the batteries. New battery and new alternator installed today Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Who told you the alternator was overcharging the battery?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the question.
The service tech that does all my work is telling me what is wrong. He is the service manager at an independent shop. The shop name is Theo's Automotive in Peachtree City, Georgia. They do all my work and haven't ever done me wrong. You can find them on the interweb.
I know it does sound weird. He tells me the voltage regulator, which is in the alternato r(versus a separate unit like in the old days) is what can go bad and does not properly control the voltage. The battery fluid then get boiled and comes out the battery vent. That's why batteries have vents otherwise it would explode. He says the battery should be ok....but I'm wondering about that..we'll see.
As I said in my original post this is the second battery that leaked out the vents in the past six months. Autozone replaced the first one under warranty in October. When I went back to them with this battery leakage issue they asked if it was overcharging but didn't test it. That's when I took it to Theo's and they identified the problem.
This is a long answer and I know I'll get flamed by some, but I wanted to give you a good answer to a fair question.
Thanks for your interest ...stay warm.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
I thought the voltage in these trucks was controlled in the PCM? I could be wrong. Curious to see if you have any more problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Okay here's the latest.... if anyone cares..... (blame any typos on Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Grolsh). My trusted guy at Theo's calls me to tell me that the new alternator didn't solve the problem..installed another battery...still had issues. Pulled new battery and alternator out and started over. Ultimately, after about three hours labor they have determined that the ABCM (Alternator /Battery Control Module) is bad. The part is on order and truck will be back on the road on Monday. No charge for anything except the new ABCM and less than an hour for labor. Like I said, I trust the guys at Theo's. I asked the Service Manager what brand of beer he drinks and he said Icehouse..(are you kidding me???).... so I think I got off pretty cheap. He'll have a 12 pack next to his truck on Monday.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had the stock battery go on me after 5+ years and when I picked up a new battery the shop guy told me the alternator was overcharging as well. Just got the battery and didn't look into the issue. I might look into the ABCM sometimes, thanks for the info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts