Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drunk driver hit my legally parked truck out front of my house early Sunday morning. At 3:20am POS Hyundai sedan hit the left rear corner of my 2007 4x4 Colorado. Chewed up rear bumper, left taillight, bowed out the rear wheelwell, and chewed up the corner of the tailgate. He hit the truck hard enough to move it 2 car lengths. No skidmarks, so he never tried to brake. Ran out and saw my truck blocking my wide driveway, no way to get the other cars out. This clown, in the meantime, is backing up the street, obviously fleeing s-l-o-w-l-y, his car is a mess. I run back in, pull on my jeans shorts over my sleep shorts, grab the truck keys and run back out. I start the truck, pull a U-turn, and follow this guy up the street. He stops the car in the middle of the road and walks into a house on the opposite side of the street. I call 911, describe car and driver. Firetruck shows up in 10 minutes, but he avoids talking to paramedics. They move his POS out of the road and leave. This guy is drunk as a skunk, so he has another guy talk to me, while he's standing behind him saying "Andy, I f***ed up" over and over. The cops take so long to show up that he goes in the house. I walk back down to my house and wait. Cops show at 5:40am, survey the damage. In the meantime, POS' sister (owner of vehicle) shows up with dad, says her brother left (don't know with whom or where to,yeah, right!) complaining of headache and throwing up. She says her dad is going to tow their POS home, but cop stops her and says (Yay!) "Oh, no, this is a hit-and-run, we're impounding the vehicle". Dealing with her Liberty Mutual now. Sorry for the long rant, need to vent. Anyways, truck is repairable, but haven't seen independent adjuster yet. I want them to pay me, and I'll handle the repairs. So, long story short, need some advice and suggestions. Is there an aftermarket bumper with the small inset steps in the corners? Also, considering the truck was parked with parking brake engaged, trans in Park, what kind of drivetrain damage should I be looking for? Don't want to sign off and have truck act up later. I refuse to be a loser on this deal. I live across from Juarez, where body and paint repairs will stretch the payout further. Liberty tried to steer me to Caliber Collision, but the reviews nationwide and locally leave much to be desired, so I'll control the decision as to where to go. Please remind me of anything else I need to remember when dealing with the adjuster/insurance, too. Moderator, please move this post wherever it really needs to be. Thanks for the understanding, guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
POS hit my truck so hard that RIGHT rear rim was scraped and tire was scuffed, too. Intend to have rim inspected for roundness, tire replaced because the sidewall cannot be trusted, and rearend checked to see if it "shifted" to the left. Anything else that I need to watch for?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sorry to hear that you got hit. My truck was hit last friday. It dented my bumper and chipped some paint off of it. The ran but I got the plate #. No insurance on them. I guess I will take them to small claims court.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
be cautious with Liberty, i got rear ended in 2013 (not my fault) i was given the option to select my own repair shop. when repairs didn't go as planned and not to my satisfaction, i had very little recourse because it wasn't one of their "preferred" body/repair shops. which was not mentioned to me before hand. just cover your bases and ask lots of questions and try to get the answers in writing. i HATE their commercials to this day and will never get my business. glad you or your family didn't get hurt.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
POS hit my truck so hard that RIGHT rear rim was scraped and tire was scuffed, too. Intend to have rim inspected for roundness, tire replaced because the sidewall cannot be trusted, and rearend checked to see if it "shifted" to the left. Anything else that I need to watch for?
If I were writing the estimate (or reviewing it)

-Look for frame repair. The truck should definitely be put on a table and measured. This will add to the "adjustments" after the fact quite a bit. Generally they will write for the set-up time, but no repair time, because until the truck is measured, they don't know what needs to be fixed.

-Alignment, if they didn't write for frame repair, at the very least this should be on there, but I would fight tooth and nail for them to put it on a frame machine and measured. Body on frame vehicles hide frame damage visibly, but it will cause countless problems down the road.

-Just make them buy a new rim, and tire. The cost to repair a wheel properly, is almost always more than just buying a wheel.

-As mentioned, try to find a body-shop that they prefer, this will extend the warranties on the repair job.

--Also, look for shops with lifetime warranties, they do exist, and they don't like to do "free" warranty work, so chances are, they do quality work.

---Ask for the old parts back. Not so much to have them, but it forces the body shop to actually replace the panels that were supposed to be replaced. You may not get the sheet metal back (liability).

----If you notice any vibrations or the like after the repair, report it as quickly as possible. The insurance might fight you on this, but it's hard to blame a pothole 30 minutes after a repair.

Oh and if you have a shop that offers text updates, you can request they send pictures with the updates, I just find that to be a cool thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drunk driver hit my legally parked truck out front of my house early Sunday morning. At 3:20am POS Hyundai sedan hit the left rear corner of my 2007 4x4 Colorado. Chewed up rear bumper, left taillight, bowed out the rear wheelwell, and chewed up the corner of the tailgate. He hit the truck hard enough to move it 2 car lengths. No skidmarks, so he never tried to brake. Ran out and saw my truck blocking my wide driveway, no way to get the other cars out. This clown, in the meantime, is backing up the street, obviously fleeing s-l-o-w-l-y, his car is a mess. I run back in, pull on my jeans shorts over my sleep shorts, grab the truck keys and run back out. I start the truck, pull a U-turn, and follow this guy up the street. He stops the car in the middle of the road and walks into a house on the opposite side of the street. I call 911, describe car and driver. Firetruck shows up in 10 minutes, but he avoids talking to paramedics. They move his POS out of the road and leave. This guy is drunk as a skunk, so he has another guy talk to me, while he's standing behind him saying "Andy, I f***ed up" over and over. The cops take so long to show up that he goes in the house. I walk back down to my house and wait. Cops show at 5:40am, survey the damage. In the meantime, POS' sister (owner of vehicle) shows up with dad, says her brother left (don't know with whom or where to,yeah, right!) complaining of headache and throwing up. She says her dad is going to tow their POS home, but cop stops her and says (Yay!) "Oh, no, this is a hit-and-run, we're impounding the vehicle". Dealing with her Liberty Mutual now. Sorry for the long rant, need to vent. Anyways, truck is repairable, but haven't seen independent adjuster yet. I want them to pay me, and I'll handle the repairs. So, long story short, need some advice and suggestions. Is there an aftermarket bumper with the small inset steps in the corners? Also, considering the truck was parked with parking brake engaged, trans in Park, what kind of drivetrain damage should I be looking for? Don't want to sign off and have truck act up later. I refuse to be a loser on this deal. I live across from Juarez, where body and paint repairs will stretch the payout further. Liberty tried to steer me to Caliber Collision, but the reviews nationwide and locally leave much to be desired, so I'll control the decision as to where to go. Please remind me of anything else I need to remember when dealing with the adjuster/insurance, too. Moderator, please move this post wherever it really needs to be. Thanks for the understanding, guys.

Make sure to get a depreciation adjustment for later. When you go to sell or trade in this vehicle, it will take a hit on the amount they’re willing to give you for it since it’s been involved in an accident. The difference in what it would be worth had it not been involved in an accident and what it is now worth having been involved in this accident is what is called the depreciated difference. You can get that paid up front by the insurance company if you ask for it correctly. Little known fact. I’ve done it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. As to going to Liberty's preferred shop, they were directing me to Caliber Collision, which is apparently a nationwide chain; anyone got experience with them, good or bad? I told the claim rep that I needed to do some research, and found that Caliber has a bad rep when it comes to customer service. I should be getting a call today from an independent appraiser; I will insist on the frame inspection, and will also insist on the diminished value, which is allowed in Texas. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'm so glad that the 355Nation community is out there to offer suggestions :salute:. Man, you never realize how much you need a truck until you don't have one available.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for the replies. As to going to Liberty's preferred shop, they were directing me to Caliber Collision, which is apparently a nationwide chain; anyone got experience with them, good or bad? I told the claim rep that I needed to do some research, and found that Caliber has a bad rep when it comes to customer service. I should be getting a call today from an independent appraiser; I will insist on the frame inspection, and will also insist on the diminished value, which is allowed in Texas. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'm so glad that the 355Nation community is out there to offer suggestions :salute:. Man, you never realize how much you need a truck until you don't have one available.
https://prontobodyshop.com/ would be my suggestion from the list of top 12 body shops in El Paso, TX. I visited all 12 websites and, in the about us section, I love the fact that they offer lifetime warranties on their work. It's standard practice where I am from, and if I happened to be in El Paso, I would feel comfortable trusting my vehicle at this location.

Also thought this might help.
https://www.expertise.com/tx/el-paso/auto-body-repair

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Dawa Thanks for doing that, haven't heard of them, but I will certainly check them out. As previously stated, I am leaning towards going in to Juarez, since the border is 15 minutes from my house. Got some friends who have relatives over there, and am looking for a reputable body shop. My daughter got sideswiped in a residential area; Progressive (his mom's insurance) paid out $2200. I was able to get her car repaired and painted a completely different color, along with my '95 Intrepid repainted with all dings removed, and my '94 Altima repainted a different color, and still had $300. The work was very well done, and the shop owner was glad to have the work. I'm sure I paid more than his Mexican customers, but the prices were great, and the paint held up until I got rid of each car. One of the few times you can come out ahead of the insurance company. This was 13 years ago; I don't remember the body shop, but it was too deep into Juarez to consider now. It's getting better over there, and I am finally ready to venture back, if the wife lets me:D.

·
Registered
81 Posts
With the driver being drunk, you should be able to sue the sh** out of them. Make them pay for their stupidity.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If TX is anything like NC you have the right to use any body shop of your choosing on the insurance company's dime.

·
Internet Troll
1,253 Posts
Sorry to hear your truck was damaged. Do you have a loan on the truck? Many insurance companies won't pay it to you without the lien holder on the check as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts