Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving home yesterday. i ran into some traffic. i was at idle for like 30 secs and felt my truck vibrating. i thought maybe i'm near the air tran in NYC. nope not it. maybe the radio was high and it was the bass. nope.. Look at my idle dead last like a newbie and notice my truck idle was jumping 400 rpm then 300, 400, 1500, 400, 1500 and then the battery light went on and the truck turned off. It felt like the truck was choking. i didn't hear the rpms on the enging raise at all. i just saw the rpm gauge go crazy.

i was in the middle of the highway. i ran out opened my hood thinking maybe my intake feel apart. nope. went back inside and the truck turned on fine. no probs on my 42 mile drive home. the battery light went away. and there was no engine lights on.

a month ago i had my check engine light go off and it flagged saying the throttle body needed to be cleaned. the rpms at that time was 400. cleaned it and its been great ever since

check the throttle body today and saw nothing. check my intake, nothing. battery voltage is normal. batt. off 12.64 with the truck on 14.70 looked around the engine to see if any sensor disconnected nothing.

don't know what it was. but it diffenently scared the crap out of me. any thoughts guys

·
Registered
760 Posts
same thing happened to me and it was a few times so a month or 2 ago it happened and this time bad and i turned it off and then back on and it was still vibrating so i took it to the dealership since i was under warranty and it was something about the cam sensor. not too sure but they fixed it for me free of charge so i would just goto the dealership if your under warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Scan the PCM for any stored codes there if you have a code reader. If not go to autozone and have them do it. Write the CEL codes down and ask them NOT to erase them, I will clear them out for you. I am sure there is something there that will help us direct you on troubleshooting. I will take a look at everything for you April 21st..

Did you clean the throttle body off the truck or while it was on? Did you clean out the evap port on the throttle body?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i did clean the throttle body already i did it with it still installed on the truck. my truck did shake a little after i turned it on the second time that day.. but its been fine since. i'll check out the codes today.. i got some time at work right now.

edit:
just check.. no codes at all. truck still running fine. As for the Evap port Gerry.. i wasn't the one that cleaned it. my dad did it for me. i was at work at the time. i suspose he did. he complained on how dirty it was.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Alright Doc...

Buy a can of ETC cleaner (carb cleaner), some shop rags, and a can of Electrical Contact cleaner(or special MAF cleaner).. We will clean the MAF & throttle body it in the parking lot at Hooters...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright i got tons of contact cleaner from work and rags

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Cool Doc.. I got some experience dealing with this issue. I am sure we will get to the bottom of it. We have all the proper diagnostic tools to do so!! :true: :hsdance:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:rrado: Giggity Giggity Goo AlrighT :high5:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:dawg: well looks like the truck didn't want to make until saturday to get fix. it did it again. this time infront of the dealer thank god. it was idling fine at 750 and then bam drop to 300 jumping back and forth to 400. freaking great. i didn't run over any water. i even looked under the hood this morning to check it out again.

i hope its not the maf sensor, i don't want the dealer to say it was my intake that caused the problem. then causing me to pay, instead of the warranty covering it. :mad:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update: went to the dealer today to figure out whats going on. they say its the cam positon actuator. they had the code down. i should have writen it down. looks like i won't have my truck until this afternoon or maybe tomorrow morning. :mc:

looks like i'm not the only one who had this happen to.
same thing happened to me and it was a few times so a month or 2 ago it happened and this time bad and i turned it off and then back on and it was still vibrating so i took it to the dealership since i was under warranty and it was something about the cam sensor. not too sure but they fixed it for me free of charge so i would just goto the dealership if your under warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
That would be codes P0014 thru P0017 for the cam actuator....

It is growing into a common problem. It uses oil from the engine to advance or retard the exhaust camshaft... Most of the problems I have been able to get feedback from has the screens plugged up. So I took mine out and cleaned it back in Feb.

Here is what it looks like:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well they changed it out. or they prob just cleaned it out. its all good now. hopefully. see ya on saturday man.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dude hell yeah i'm goin. u? if u are let me know.. car pool

1 - 16 of 16 Posts