Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just added new tires. Bought Goodyear Wrangler Duradracs, 285/70/17. They rub when I go over bumps or turn at full lock. So I went to adjust my tbars, and I have 2 threads left. So I have worn out bars. Ordered V8 torsions, and skyjacker AAL's. Should I order smaxx keys? The truck goes in to have the bars, AAL's, and steering rack clamp kit installed. I'll post up a pic in a bit so you can see how she's sitting.

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
If you lift more with the torsion bars they will rub even worse when turning sharp unless you use some wheel spacers or different wheels with less backspace.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you lift more with the torsion bars they will rub even worse when turning sharp unless you use some wheel spacers or different wheels with less backspace.

They don't rub on the control arms. They rub on the bumper and on the body inside the wheel well. I have 1" spacers on already cause the old tires rubbed on the upper ball joint boot.

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
I understand that. Lifting even more will bring the tires even closer to the frame and closer to whatever part you are already rubbing inside the wheel well. Bumper plastic can be trimmed. I would consider a body lift instead of more torsion bar lifting.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
Your truck is a 2011, i doubt the bars have sagged that much. :shrug: Like greg said, cranking more will make it worse cuz it pulls the wheels inward and more likely to rub the body mount.

Where is it rubbing? If i remember right you still have the lower valence on the front bumper? Take it off or trim it. Rancho does say you can run 285s...with minor trimming. Some have to, some dont.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
Whats the backspace on your wheels? Mine never rubbed the balljoint with 4.5" bs and the stock 265 goodyear ats tires.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your truck is a 2011, i doubt the bars have sagged that much. :shrug: Like greg said, cranking more will make it worse cuz it pulls the wheels inward and more likely to rub the body mount.

Where is it rubbing? If i remember right you still have the lower valence on the front bumper? Take it off or trim it. Rancho does say you can run 285s...with minor trimming. Some have to, some dont.

No I chopped off the lower valance. Here are a few pics.

This is how my truck is sitting with the bars maxed out.

Here is where I have trimmed so far. This is right in front of the passenger side door.

Here is the bumper trimmed.

Driver side trimming.

Just doesn't seem as high as it should if the bars are maxed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats the backspace on your wheels? Mine never rubbed the balljoint with 4.5" bs and the stock 265 goodyear ats tires.

My wheels are 17x9 with 4.5" back spacing. Yeah the 265's rubbed on the ball joint boot so I put 1" spacers on. Plenty of clearance from the control arms now.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
I know you had a reputable shop install the lift, and so did i, but check to see if they put the tb locators on the corect sides.

There is an "L" (driver side) and "R" (passenger side) cast into each one. They put mine on backwards and told me it didnt matter. It did. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
What is the measurement from center hub to fender flare?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know you had a reputable shop install the lift, and so did i, but check to see if they put the tb locators on the corect sides.

There is an "L" (driver side) and "R" (passenger side) cast into each one. They put mine on backwards and told me it didnt matter. It did. Just a thought.

I can't see. I'll have to jack it up when I can and look.

What is the measurement from center hub to fender flare?

It measures 25" both sides.

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
It should measure 26" after a 4" lift kit install. Well that means you have some room to work with as far as torsion bar lift and explains why your rubbing still. i just can't believe you bars are out of adjustment being a 2011 like mine. I'm sitting a 26.5" with plenty of adjustment left. If the problem isn't the t bar relocators like silvercan mentioned then I would go ahead with the v8 bars and lift to 26.5" or 27" and see if that is enough to clear. You will need an alignment again of course. No need to buy lift keys if you already got new torsion bars

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
Thats why i mentioned it...mine was almost out of adjustment until i noticed them. When corrected i have plenty of adjustment left.

You should be able to lay down and crawl under to look without jacking it up. Its the opposite end of the bars from the adjuster bolt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It should measure 26" after a 4" lift kit install. Well that means you have some room to work with as far as torsion bar lift and explains why your rubbing still. i just can't believe you bars are out of adjustment being a 2011 like mine. I'm sitting a 26.5" with plenty of adjustment left. If the problem isn't the t bar relocators like silvercan mentioned then I would go ahead with the v8 bars and lift to 26.5" or 27" and see if that is enough to clear. You will need an alignment again of course. No need to buy lift keys if you already got new torsion bars

I'll check the locators. Either way I'm going to swap the V8 bars in. The shop will do the bars, AAL's and rack kit. The AAL's say they add 2.5" of height so I'll crank the bars to match. He takes it to an alignment shop when he's done so I hope everything will be good after.

Is there a pic anywhere of the locators? So I know what to look for.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Sure as shit, they are on wrong. The relocator with the "R" is on the drivers side, "L" is on the passenger side. Being this is my first lifted truck, why does the side specification matter? They look the same, so I'm asking a noob question.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
:th_woot: :high5:

It has to do with the way the bars are indexed i think. Glad i could help. Now dont pay a dime for the shop to fix it or realign it!

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
Silvercan is correct. No wonder your out of adjustment. Make sure your sitting at at least 26" so you get the 4" from the kit hell you paid for 4".

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:th_woot: :high5:

It has to do with the way the bars are indexed i think. Glad i could help. Now dont pay a dime for the shop to fix it or realign it!

Nice call!! Thanks!

Silvercan is correct. No wonder your out of adjustment. Make sure your sitting at at least 26" so you get the 4" from the kit hell you paid for 4".

I knew from day 1 something wasn't right with how the ride was. Thanks for all the help guys!!! It goes in for all the parts in a little over a week. I'm still swapping in the V8 bars since I plan on a winch and bumper install soon. But I for sure won't be paying full install price.

Will my truck be ok driving for a week till it goes in or should I park it till then?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts