Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Canyon has started lately randomly dying for no reason. The engine will die but all of the electrical will remain on. I can pull over and restart the engine fine every time. Also on very cold mornings the engine will turn over and then immediately dies. When that happens I get a service stability traction control fault on the display. I can then turn the key off and restart the truck and it will run fine. I have noticed that when I get the fault I do not hear the chime that the key is in the ignition. Also if I pull the run/crank relay while the truck is running it dies and I get the same stability service traction control fault. I have taken it to the dealership and they could not find what is wrong. It doesn't throw a code. I have checked the grounds and replaced the battery with a new one. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: The dealership is replacing a cracked exhaust manifold that they found and said it should fix problem. I highly doubt it will but if my manifold is cracked then it needs replaced anyways. So I told them to go ahead and do it. My question is...would a bad ignition switch cause it to start up then immediately die? Or could the after market radio chime retain box cause this in some way? The odd thing is when it cranks right up I notice I hear the key in switch chime. When it cranks up and dies I don't hear the chime at all.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I hope that's a warranty repair! My '04 has had a cracked exhaust manifold since I bought it a few years ago. Never any performance problems. So, can the dealership not duplicate the problem when it's in their shop? Do you have any codes? I can't understand the dealership telling you the cracked manifold is the cause of the problem. They're wasting your time, but not theirs! They'll get paid for replacing the exhaust manifold - but you will not benefit at all from the repair! Great folks, huh? If you experience the problem first thing in the morning, the dealership needs to have you bring it in and leave it overnight and supply you with a loaner vehicle. If it only does it when it warms up after driving for a while, someone at the dealership needs to drive it for a while with a scan tool hooked up to see exactly what' going on. Your dealership doesn't seem to have much interest in helping you. I'd ask around and see if someone can recommend a good local mechanic. "My Guy" that I use will do a complete diagnostic check and look at all live data, stored codes, check for any technical bulletins that pertain to the problem I'm having. Before I go in to see him, he's already researched the problem I've told him about and he already knows what to look for when I bring my vehicles in. He charges $50 - $75 bucks for this service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it cranks up and immediately dies then it throws a traction control fault. However, the dealership says that there is no fault codes in the history. I left the truck with them for a week and the only thing they found wrong is a cracked exhaust manifold. I told them exactly what it does and how it cuts off while driving. They said it cut off on them also but for some reason they think the exhaust manifold will fix it. They seem clueless. I just got my truck back from them but the weather has been nice so it hasn't cut off. Seems to only do it when it's really cold. When it starts acting up again I will take it to someone else.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sounds like the ignition switch is buggy. If its internally dirty, it may make contact in the start position, and then when it comes back to run, it can fail to make all the internal connections to keep the engine going as well as other "accessory" power throughout the truck. I had the passlock problem which I fixed with cleaning the ignition switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts