Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please help me with getting this strut rotated? I thought it was as easy as putting the spacer on the top and putting it back in but I guess you have to rotate the strut 180 degrees? Do I have to put it in a vice, use a spring compressor and pry the top rotating it clockwise 180 or can I just pry it as is and not use a spring compressor? Please help! I put the rear shackles on first like a dummy thinking that the front end was gonna be easy but this is a fork in the road and my trucks sitting doggy style!

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Welcome to 355Nation. Anytime I've dealt with strut (same as coil-over shocks) maintenance, it's crucial that it goes back together exactly as it came apart. I take good photos of the 'before' as part of the process to help guide the reassembly. Maybe spend some time on u-tube looking for videos of the same thing I am wanting to do. I rent a spring compressor kit from auto-zone. To help me understand better, I would need to know what your goal was at the start. Replace the entire strut? Just replace the shock? You should never have to cut anything off if sticking with OEM type stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to 355Nation. Anytime I've dealt with strut (same as coil-over shocks) maintenance, it's crucial that it goes back together exactly as it came apart. I take good photos of the 'before' as part of the process to help guide the reassembly. Maybe spend some time on u-tube looking for videos of the same thing I am wanting to do. I rent a spring compressor kit from auto-zone. To help me understand better, I would need to know what your goal was at the start. Replace the entire strut? Just replace the shock? You should never have to cut anything off if sticking with OEM type stuff.
Thank you! So I am trying to level it 2 inches in the front now beings I already have the shackles on the back. I have a 2 inch spacer that goes on top of the strut where you bolt it on the 3 studs sticking up. When I put it on though it completely rotates the whole coil over so I would have to put it back in backwards. Now when I do that the bottom lip and coil hit the side of the bumpstop. (I will attach pictures) so I believe the only way is to compress it and rotate the top mount 180 degrees so that the coilover can go back in the correct way it was in there in the first place I guess they call it clocking the strut. I know people have lowered these trucks and have hit that bumpstop making it also impossible to put the assembly back in but just grinded it off. I don’t want to have to do that and want to be able to put the coilover in the correct way it was in. If there is any other way around this please let me know! I’ve also tried putting the coilovers on the opposite sides but same issue, can’t put them back in...please help!

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Your two photos definitely help me to understand the issue. What does the instructions that came with the spacers tell you to do? Does the Truxxx website have a help section? I'm sorry, but I have no experience with putting a spacer on top of a strut. Seems you have the right idea already though, 'so I believe the only way is to compress it and rotate the top mount 180 degrees so that the coilover can go back in the correct way it was in there in the first place I guess they call it clocking the strut'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m sorry I’m late on this for anyone wondering yes you do have to clock the strut with some spring compressors or grind the bump stop. Pick your poison 🤷🏼‍♂️. I was able to compress the springs with a spring compressor using an impact and getting a pry bar to rotate it. Make sure you mark where it has to go on the other side of the hat. If you go over it you have to go around again in the same rotation until you line it up, no going back. Whiteout works if you have a black colored strut. Any more questions lmk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts